I just beat it.

#1The moonlight knightPosted 2/12/2011 9:18:57 AM
I didn't use any warps, played as Mario. I feel exhausted. I don't think I'll aim for unlocking the letter worlds. Enough's enough, y'know? Beating 8-4 is good enough. >_>

What's weird is by world 7, though I still struggled a lot, it seemed like it started to become easier. World 6 was the last place where I was just severely stuck beyond all hope. Once I got to world 7, I started to just do better. Like twice as good.

I am kinda curious to try playing through again, as Luigi. Just see what it's like. Not intending to go all the way, so I can relax and just try and have fun. I suspect I'll be rusty at the older worlds and die just as bad, worse because I'm not used to Luigi, and then give up. But at least I beat 8-4.

I think I might go back to Super Mario Bros. once. That should seem amazingly easy now, right? Well actually I think 8-4 in SMB is still pretty hard.
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#2The moonlight knight(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2011 2:01:22 AM
I've beaten it two more times, as Luigi, still not using warps. Things went smoother, but I found I had a really hard time with world 4 altogether. Basically, world 4, and those jumps in 8-4 you have to make by jumping down and under the platform you were on...that's all that stops me dead cold now.

The second time I won, it took me 3 hours. This time it took me a little over just 1 hour.

I'm really wondering what the hell is wrong with the underwater levels, which I hate. Sometimes, the bottomless death below just seems to suck me into it and kill me no matter how much I'm pressing the jump button. It's just like that button randomly stops working and kills me. It's REALLY annoying. I have no problem with the buttons above water.

I also really ****ing hate bloopers. Some of them seem to break their own rules they seemingly are supposed to abide by. **** bloopers.
---
#3The moonlight knight(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2011 6:47:29 PM
ARRRGH. I got to world 7 before having to use a continue. Didn't use another though. Still, that really burns my ass.

Also I hate 8-4. I'd really like someone to explain to me why I just seem to randomly not manage the jumps where you hook under the platform. Because at this point I don't think I'm ever going to understand what I'm doing wrong when I fall.

Similarly, the section with a blooper in the air, before the looooong run to two paratroopas, in 8-4... It randomly seems to decide I didn't take the path right and make me do it again, even though I do the exact same thing every time. >_> Really pissing me off.
---
#4The moonlight knight(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2011 10:01:33 PM
**** yeah beat it without using continues. I think I may have also figured out the hook jump thing or whatever. But I didn't die to try my theory again. But basically, I jump, THEN move to the right, then back to the left. I think prior to that I was trying to move and jump at the same time. Maybe that was the problem.

Final score (I didn't participate in world 9 even though I used no warps since it could just go on forever and make my score kinda meaningless): 1391500

I had 7 lives by the end.

Still don't understand why that section near the end of 8-4 randomly sends me back to do it again. I don't understand what the hell it's saying I'm doing wrong. It feels like a glitch.

I also lost like 8 lives at 4-4. I ****ing hate 4-4 more and more as I play.

6 out of 8 wins now.

Also: is it IMPOSSIBLE to proceed through the beginning of 2-4 as big Mario? Because every time I get there, I just fall like a brick and die. Mario fails to move forward onto the ledge. The **** am I supposed to do?
---
#5YamsPosted 2/18/2011 10:26:39 PM
I have no idea, but congratulations anyway. @_@
#6The moonlight knight(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2011 10:27:27 PM
Aww, I was hoping there was actual life on this board. Or, wait, have you played this? >_>
---
#7YamsPosted 2/18/2011 10:46:21 PM
Sadly, I haven't. But after reading your topic on RI I just wanted to look up more info on it. >_>; It sounds painfully hard.
#8The moonlight knight(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2011 11:33:13 PM
It is. It's very spicy. Playing the hell out of it can make getting through it smoother, as my own experience indicates. I went from taking 3 hours and 11 minutes and many, MANY continues to barely beat it, to beating it in 1 hour and 5 minutes, no continues, 7 lives left. Even accomplishing that, it's still blatantly hard to me.

There's really no point in playing it, unless the novelty of an overly hard Mario game appeals to you.
---
#9YamsPosted 2/19/2011 12:10:28 AM
Seems like there's a large amount of memorization required. At least, judging by the maps.
#10The moonlight knight(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2011 3:45:06 AM
You need to know what's ahead, but having the technical skill to traverse it is something else entirely.

Also: I beat D-4, no warps! And lemme just say... **** the letter worlds. They suck ass, big time. >_> I'll never play that again.

I'm done with this game now, finally. It can go to hell. Especially the letter worlds. C-3 is just... **** C-3.
---