Help using e-Reader with Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire

#1KiraTsukasaPosted 11/16/2013 8:57:26 PM
I need some specific instructions on how exactly this is supposed to work. What I'm trying to do is scan in the Eon Ticket distributed many moons ago by Nintendo Power. You're supposed to scan it with the e-Reader and it is supposed to give you the Eon Ticket in-game item through Mystery Event. I only have one GBA (an SP if it matters) so I have the e-Reader hooked into my DS. I scan the card and it says to hook up the e-Reader to the Ruby/Sapphire game and open Mystery Event. So I have my Sapphire cartridge in the GBA opened up to Mystery Event and the GBA connected to the e-Reader via a GBA Link Cable and... nothing. Both screens just sit there, one telling me to connect Ruby or Sapphire, the other saying Link Waiting. I left them sit for five minutes or so just seeing if they would work but to no avail.

From what I can tell I have one of two problems:
1- I see on the e-Reader a female Link Cable connection at the top end of the unit and a male connection near the section that slides into the system that I assume connects into the Link Cable slot on a normal GBA. Does this second connection HAVE to be connected for this to work? Meaning I need an old GBA system?
2- The Link Cable is an old Mad Catz brand version of the cable. I have had problems with Mad Catz controllers for my GCN before, so I'm thinking this cable is faulty. I've had it for a long time now, my parents got it for me and my sister to use with Pokemon, unaware that the FireRed and LeafGreen versions that we also got came with a wireless adapter, and so I've never gotten to use it before.
#2uziman477Posted 11/17/2013 5:02:13 AM
The e-reader works with a ds? I think you need 2 gbas
---
PSN: night-22 GT: Kmopotato 3DS FC: 2019 9660 6402
#3KiraTsukasa(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2013 7:40:33 AM
uziman477 posted...

Yes, it works just fine in my DS. Can you confirm that it needs an original GBA in order to work properly?
#4jumper1234Posted 11/17/2013 12:38:51 PM
KiraTsukasa posted...
uziman477 posted...

Yes, it works just fine in my DS. Can you confirm that it needs an original GBA in order to work properly?

You need 2 GBA's for it to work, as the link cable connection on the device is more like an extension cable than an actual connector.
---
Waiting for: Super Smash Bros. 4, Mighty No. 9
3DS FC: 3652-1930-9604 (PM me your fc if you add me)
#5KiraTsukasa(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2013 3:07:34 PM
jumper1234 posted...
KiraTsukasa posted...
uziman477 posted...

You need 2 GBA's for it to work, as the link cable connection on the device is more like an extension cable than an actual connector.

Ah, well that sucks.