How is Mimana Iyar Chronicle?

#11musumanePosted 7/18/2012 9:51:10 AM
Game is short, is part of a series ( which won't ever be made because of bad sales ) and the gameplay is extremely bland.
---
Haku (or Jinsei Shinzaki or whatever name he goes by nowadays) is badass.! - 619King
#12TaaronPosted 7/18/2012 11:16:10 AM
Miu_san posted...
Never had those earlier gripes you mentioned, battle speed was ok, the protagonist even has a special basic combo mechanic like the Phantasy Star Portable series's Just Frames which increased his animation speed and output. Sure the AI was stupid at times but any smarter the game would be cakewalk.

There were many landmarks in the game though I agree yes the maps were expansive which was cool but the lack of minimap meant you had to pull out a pen and paper which ironically appealed as it was old school and not autoguided.

Misc. on game expectations
I like games with an engaging plot, innovation and epicness. This fit the bill so I thoroughly enjoyed it. KHBBS did not and was not a pleasant ride at all. A similar old school style is Adventures to Go. I also enjoy old school style games as long as they're not outdated (such as Criminal Girls over the mess of Class of Heroes which no close alternative bad game sunk as low as it did).

Slow or clunky, one of the two. My memory is vague at this point. As I am also recalling right now, the sprite animation was also less than impressive which may have made the game feel more clunky or slow than it actually was. Either way felt the battle system could have been much more impressive as other games like Star Ocean or the Tales of series.

As for landmarks, I remember them being the same generic landmarks all over the place so I could never use or even define them as actual land marks. As for the paper and pen thing, I could only really do that for games which a blocky movement pattern. For games like Mimana where you have more free ranged movement, I am bad at paper and pen maps for those and need a minimap lol.
---
Nothing wrong with a 40 year old man watching anime intended for 5 year old Japanese girls.
#13jjeerryyonly9Posted 7/18/2012 11:28:07 AM
I was hitting the board to ask the same question, TC. I bought Yggdra Union and Knights in the Nightmare last week and don't consider either very playable.

I've been jonesin' for a good RPG lately but don't really know where to start. I just finished another playthrough of FFVI and have started another run of FFVII, but I would rather play a more current PSP title.
---
TO MICHAEL!!!
PSN: RadKickAss
#14TheExiled280(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2012 12:56:41 PM
Harvin_Time posted...
Playing through it right now and almost at the end (I think). This game can be mildly entertaining and funny at times, but overall it is bland and simple with gameplay I would describe as not that fun. Play it for the story and put up with the rest or do not play it at all.

So far, it gets a 5.5/10.

TBH, the story is the only reason why I'm interested. It looks funny if nothing else
---
PSN: TheExiled12894 // A Proud Owner of a PlayStation Vita, PSPgo & PSP1000
The Dark Knight Rises Trailer: http://youtu.be/ASQqjK47c04
#15TheExiled280(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2012 12:58:29 PM
Also, I heard this game has multiple ending, is that true?

Also does the game end on a cliffhanger or does it just end with some things unanswered?
---
#16Gamemaster64Posted 7/18/2012 6:13:16 PM
TheExiled280 posted...
Topic

The PSN version is onsale so I was thinking about buying it.

It isn't on sale. It a price drop.
---
Not much of potato he said but potato he wrote.
#17Miu_sanPosted 7/19/2012 8:18:10 AM
The game does have girl routes, but the general ending is the same.
No cliffhangers. It ties up loose ends yet leaves enough for a sequel.
Unlike Crimson Gem Saga and Breath of Fire 3, it doesn't finish lamely.
#18TheExiled280(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2012 6:11:54 PM
Miu_san posted...
The game does have girl routes, but the general ending is the same.
No cliffhangers. It ties up loose ends yet leaves enough for a sequel.
Unlike Crimson Gem Saga and Breath of Fire 3, it doesn't finish lamely.

Wow, perhaps I will get this then.

Bump
---
#19TLR_Posted 7/19/2012 9:03:56 PM
By all means, it's a mediocre, broken game.

The repetitive, map-less dungeons (with sky high encounter rate) don't particularly help this, and they seemed to individually screw up some integral part of every element in this game.

Through some manner I have trouble making sense of though... it managed to have a flavor of being broken that made it somewhat fun to play (think Marvel vs Capcom 2)... and that was it's ticket to keeping me into the game for what little time it lasted.

Honestly, the biggest problem I personally had with it is that the bosses were too short winded. Maybe Tales games have me spoiled, but when I get through a labyrinthine dungeon and waves of enemies, I'm all too ready for the big boss hog that can take a beating all while dishing out ferocious specials.

It needs a sequel... it begs for a sequel.
---
The Most Complete Database for Games Playable on the Xperia PLAY: Xperia PLAY Gamer
http://xperiaplaygamer.net