Playing through Lord of Arcana. Wow!

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. Playing through Lord of Arcana. Wow!
3 years ago#1
I see why many people on here slam it pretty hard. The gameplay is an absolute disaster! The further I get into this game, the more I am realizing this.

When you get knocked onto the ground, the monster can pretty much have his way with you, light up a cigarette, go to sleep, wake up, and about that time you start getting back up. Also, the little floating "ball" you have to hit to return to normal size when you are shrunk goes outside the lines where you run away from enemies from. You also run at an absolute snails pace when you are tiny. I can see running slower, but damn it's exaggerated. Flying enemies often stay out of reach for extended periods, etc. This game is a mess! They also could have made something with the gameplay where you can "turn on" locking onto an enemy or their parts to free up a finger. My hands get so cramped when battling for extended periods.

I really haven't played much of Gods Eater Burst or Monster Hunter much at all yet. Please tell me those games are better when it comes to gameplay. I imagine they are since most people seems to like/love them.

I'll probably still go ahead and finish LoA for the heck of it, but I want it to be over so I can start something else, lol. Hopefully Lord of Apocolypse is better than this too.
---
Gamers play games on ALL systems, consoles and portables alike. Great games are indifferent to what console they are on. Idiots fail to see this.
3 years ago#2
medmuscle posted...
Also, the little floating "ball" you have to hit to return to normal size when you are shrunk goes outside the lines where you run away from enemies from. You also run at an absolute snails pace when you are tiny. I can see running slower, but damn it's exaggerated.

The first stick that started to break my playing back. Take-Mikazuhchi and that horse-chicken. Take-Mikazuchi is somewhat understandable, since it's a chapter boss. But give the same ability to a midboss? And one that you'll have to face a few more times to progress?
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
3 years ago#3
GEB is a lot better, you don't have to hold the lock on button to stay locked on and it is much quicker battling. I really got so annoyed with LoA that I had to use codes so I could actually not break my PSP.
---
http://backloggery.com/solidsnake13 XBL GT: solidsnake0928
http://www.gamingsymmetry.com/
3 years ago#4
The game does give the choice of choosing between hold, and click lockon at the start of the game. Point invalid.
3 years ago#5
Play Lord of Vermillion, it's LoA sequel but japan only.
Lord of Vermilion feels pretty more balanced compared to LoA.
---
Playing : Accel World: Ginyoku no Kakusei , Touhou Sky Arena -Matsuri-
Waiting : God Eater 2
3 years ago#6
You didn't even mention the grossly stupid button-pressing quicktime events that screw up the boss fights.

Yes, GEB and any of the Monster Hunters are vast improvements in terms of graphics, gameplay, things to do, see, explore, collect, etc. Both allow you to use terrain to your advantage rather than taking you out of the game environment and forcing you to fight in a bland circular arena.

I'm told that Lords of Apocalypse still has the QTEs and the arenas.
---
I'm waiting for Bandai to release the WonderSwan/SwanCrystal II and blow both the Vita and the 3DS away.
3 years ago#7
Miu_san posted...
The game does give the choice of choosing between hold, and click lockon at the start of the game. Point invalid.

I must have missed it. Can you change it after you started a game already? This would help BIG TIME.

LoA is somewhat interesting and fun at times, but man it can be severely aggrivating and there is a lot of room for improvement as far as gameplay is concerned.
---
Gamers play games on ALL systems, consoles and portables alike. Great games are indifferent to what console they are on. Idiots fail to see this.
3 years ago#8
dancer62 posted...
You didn't even mention the grossly stupid button-pressing quicktime events that screw up the boss fights.

Yes, GEB and any of the Monster Hunters are vast improvements in terms of graphics, gameplay, things to do, see, explore, collect, etc. Both allow you to use terrain to your advantage rather than taking you out of the game environment and forcing you to fight in a bland circular arena.

I'm told that Lords of Apocalypse still has the QTEs and the arenas.

Eh, I don't mind the QTE too much. Lots of other games have them too (FF13-2, God of War, etc.). The battles with bosses are what make me fuming with anger and scream vulgarities at times. The bosses can get just downright cheap.

I'll try GEB next time I play game like this. I wanted to start with the "worst" game like this first (LoA) and work my way up to the others. I have a feeling I will like GEB more than MH though. I like anime and stories.
---
3 years ago#9
Playing Lord of Arcana:

Why do I ... feel

.... so ... strange? ...

XD
---
You are the Last Dragon. Ride Em Gundam Style! Uh huh! Uh Huh! Are you ridin. like we like em? Ridin Gundam Style! Uh huh! Uh Huh! : )
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Portable
  3. Playing through Lord of Arcana. Wow!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived