Eh, upgrade to vista64 when you have a chance. 1 gig of your ram isn't being used (vista32 bit can only use 3gigs)
But close any background programs that you don't need. If you're feeling frisky, disable your internet and firewall. Free up any resources you don't need.
If you are using a 'special' exe (not quite legal) I recommend seeing if other people who are using the same exe have crashing problems. Could very well be the problem.
This game crashes and it's indiscriminate. Some are lucky and some aren't.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
A lot of pirates are playing unstable versions of the game.
Shake it more than twice, you're playing with it.
Athlon Phenom 9600 Quad-core, GeForce 8800 GT, 2 GB DDR2, 2-74GB Western Digital Hard Drive 10,000 RPM RAID 0
Sorry, just no.
Emotional attachments to material goods!? Buddha help us all.....
1. Click Start
2. Click “All Programs” (or just Programs, depending on the version of Windows, whether they’re using “classic,” etc.)
3. Go to the ffdshow folder.
4. Click “Audio decoder configuration.”
5. In the left hand pane, click “Info & debug.” This is the second entry in the list.
6. In the right hand pane, near the bottom, find a check box labelled “Don’t use ffdshow in:”
7. Check that box, and in the text box underneath (it lights up when you check the check box), add “fallout3.exe” (don’t include the quotes). If there is already something in that box, put a semi-colon ( ; ) after what’s already there, and fallout3.exe after that. Do NOT use spaces, since ffdshow will think that’s part of the filename. A valid entry would be “explorer.exe;fallout3.exe” (without quotes).
8. Finally, click “Ok” and start Fallout 3.
Any other advice, I've tried all of it. The crashing generally doesn't start till I get to the Overlord. I can fight Radroaches just fine though.
Mario may look kiddy but he kills enemies by stomping them to death and takes mushrooms to power up all while stealing cash from his dead enemies. -Obturator
I have AMD 64 3800+, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1950 PRO with 512MB, Audigy 2 and Windows XP up to date, the latest drivers for everything, and the game is crashing at a random interval of time. I heard that a patch will be released soon.
Best news I've heard so far.
Thanks to everyone that has offered suggestions!
It's a PC game. Wait for the (obvious) patch.