Most useless/useful perks

#1DSCPosted 11/21/2008 11:12:06 AM
Useless:
Cannibal - Stimpacks are plentiful
Computer Whiz / Infiltrator - You can simply quick save / load before an attempt..
Fortune Finder / scrounger - Caps are plentiful, which makes ammo easily affordable. Majority of my caps come from selling loot anyway, not from containers.
Here and Now / Swift Learner - the level cap is too low for this to be useful
Lead Belly - How often do you drink water?
Nerd Rage - If you go under 20%.. you're probably screwed, or you need to heal quickly
Everything that adds a total of 10 skill points - since there's plenty of perks that give 15 skill points

Most useful:
Educated - Gives you a total of 48 skill points (assuming you take it at 4 when you're supposed to)
Comprehension - Gives you tons of skill points, even if you're not specifically looking for books you'll probably find enough to make this worthwhile
Cyborg - gives 10 skill points and significant resistances
Action boy - more shots
gunslinger / commando - more accuracy, choose whichever one is for the weapons you use
#2chainsawhandsPosted 11/21/2008 11:18:44 AM
Contract Killer - How many "good" enemies do you even run into? Lawbringer is less useless but hardly useful.
---
This is the way the world ends: Not with a bang, but a whimper. -T.S. Eliot
#3opfer_gvPosted 11/21/2008 11:23:13 AM
Cannibal is fun.. useful to lower Karma when does not want to kill some good people.
---
Loading, Please Wait......
#4DSC(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2008 11:23:51 AM
Well, contract killer / lawbringer might have some use for someone who's trying to get specific karma.. but yeah, there's enough opportunities to do that, so those perks suck.

I think for contract killer, you prob need to kill non-hostiles to get the ears.
#5VoodooTigerPosted 11/21/2008 11:25:59 AM
Yeah, Lawbringer/Contract Killer are useless. The money sucks, and if you need the karma, you can just give water to beggars, or go nuts stealing. Clean out a shop, run away for 3 days, come back and they have forgiven you.
#6Jonny2284Posted 11/21/2008 11:35:06 AM
Lawbringer is kinda worth it since pretty much everyone you'll kill is a target, Contract killer is useless unless you're a "ARRRRRRGGHHHHHH NO I DON'T CARE YOU NEED TO FIND A VIOLIN AND NOW I'M GONNA KILL YOU FOR ASKING YAAAAAAAGGGGH" type.

Black Widow/the male equivilent that's name escapes me right now, less so Black Widow since there are a few useful places for it but the male version os useless.
---
"Sithspit! What's that?" "That's the sun Wedge. It's after dawn"
"Well, it offends me. Turn it off "
#7PhatoseAlphaPosted 11/21/2008 11:35:51 AM
Pyromaniac is pretty darned useful. There are fire weapons in 3 of the 5 weapon types, and 50% is a huge damage bonus.
#8VoodooTigerPosted 11/21/2008 11:40:44 AM
Consider too, that lady killer increase your damage against females. And, I don't know about you, but I run into a lot of female raiders. Keep in mind also, that the only other real choice for 2-3 is intense training, which is marginal itself. If you plan ahead for your perks, the only use you will get from Intense Training is maybe some extra str for carrying.
#9ShimmerManPosted 11/21/2008 11:43:45 AM
Going to have to disagree with Nerd Rage. At least on very hard difficulty, I usually leave my health at under 20% for the DR and extra strength.

Also if you have a character with low strength then and you want to carry loads of gear back to town to sell or store. Then you simply have to get your health under 20% and you will get 250 weight allowance.
#10VoodooTigerPosted 11/21/2008 11:45:19 AM
Oh, and I know Cyborg is on the list, but if you take it, Toughness, and get the Bark Skin trait, that's a natural 25 DR. Couple that with the 60 from full T-51b, and you it the cap, 85.

So, Toughness should be considered one of the most useful also. Cyborg might be better on it's own, but you get Toughness much sooner.