Game crashes when loading new game.

#1XPHomeoPosted 12/1/2008 3:16:59 PM
I've tried everything, reinstalling, restarting computer, googling fixes, using fixes found on google, reseting all the settings to default, window mode, closing all other programs, and other things. So far it's only started a new game once. During the introduction of that new game, however, I alt+tabbed out of the game and then it crashed. So I still haven't been able to start a game. My computer can run it, I know, since I can run other games such as Left 4 Dead on the highest settings without any problems. So now I'm desperate enough to start a GameFAQs topic.
#2Monty_WoodpegPosted 12/1/2008 3:46:29 PM
When I first installed the game and tried to start a new game, it would crash as soon as the next slide appeared (before the intro movie even began).

Went through the event logs and such, can't remember the exact details, so I'll just skip ahead...

If you have an ASUS graphics card, and you chose to install GamerOSD and ASUS Smart Doctor, you would encounter this issue.

If this is the case, you will at least have to uninstall GamerOSD, but I'm pretty sure you have to uninstall both (GamerOSD won't work without Smart Doctor anyway). Since I did this, it started working for me perfectly fine.
#3XPHomeo(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2008 3:55:18 PM
Don't have an ASUS graphics card, that doesn't help me.

Let's see, what else could I try...?
#4XPHomeo(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2008 3:58:47 PM
Oh, and if it's any help, the "crashing" is the screen suddenly going black and nothing happens. It just freezes. And it usually happens at the same time when it's trying to load a new game.
#5Monty_WoodpegPosted 12/1/2008 4:08:05 PM
Suppose it could be something doing the same thing the ASUS programs were, I suggest stopping as many applications and services as you can, turning off firewall, AV etc (feel free to disconnect from the internet while you try). Also, check for latest drivers on as many hardware components as you can think of.

Before you try that, check your event logs to see if it gives you any additional information, it can sometimes give you a pretty big hint, even copy paste the crash report here and someone may know more.

Have you had any crashes like this in any other games/programs? Some games that might do this are COD4 or Test Drive Unlimited.

Let us know what your OS is, and what graphics card you have.
#6XPHomeo(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2008 4:31:44 PM
Windows Vista, NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT.

"The program Fallout3.exe version 1.0.0.12 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: dc4 Start Time: 01c9540b7eedc7c0 Termination Time: 57"

Nothing like this has happened with other games.
#7Monty_WoodpegPosted 12/1/2008 5:12:52 PM
Try installing the patch from the official website, should take it to 1.0.0.15 I'm pretty sure, I know that patch addresses some crash issues, hopefully that includes the issue you're having.

Unfortunately I'm away from my computer that was having a similar issue, so I can't help you much further... Sorry about that...

I'll think about it a bit more, and post any further suggestions here for you.

If it will lead you along the right path, I'm reasonably sure it's software related between the game and your graphics card, so if there's any other software running that might be utilising processes from the graphics card that isn't entirely necessary, I suggest disabling it.

As always when having issues, post what you've tried, and if you come across a solution, be sure to post it so that people who come along with similar issues might be helped.
#8XPHomeo(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2008 5:51:18 PM
Running the patch just gives me an "Old File not found." error. And it didn't help.
#9XPHomeo(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2008 7:29:25 AM
OK, I finally was able to start a new game. I don't know why it worked, but I was able to play just fine. After playing for a bit, I decided to see if Fallout 3 decided it would work, or if I just got lucky once. So I saved and closed the game, then tried loading the save. As soon as I press "Yes" to load my save, the game freezes. So I believe there's a very small chance it will work when I try to load my game. And a very high chance it will freeze during loading.
#10Phil_2010Posted 12/2/2008 8:52:18 AM
It might be your Windows OS.