Fallout 3 graphics problems

#1skeltoncpPosted 12/3/2008 7:07:13 PM

So I jsut got a new PC, and I'm loving fallout 3. It runs pretty smooth and never crashes or anything like that. My one problem is I get these weird splotches of color and white squares all over the screen sometimes.

Here are some screenshots that don't really do it justice, but should illustrate what I mean:

I'm running XP with an Asus EAH4850. Drivers are up to date, and the game is patched. I'm playing on ultra high settings, but I've tried lowering the settings and it didn't help. Anyone have any ideas?

#2Roman_UGPosted 12/3/2008 7:20:42 PM
Did you overclock your graphics card at all? Or did it come overclocked out of the box? When I was testing my overclocks, I would get white popins on my screen too, that could be your problem. Post your specs if possible, it COULD be your PSU but im sure the problem is your card might be overclocked.
#3skeltoncp(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2008 10:50:24 PM

My card isn't overclocked, still running at the default 625Mhz. CPU's a Core2 duo E8500. Mobo's an Asus p5q. 4 gigs RAM.

I just checked the temp on the GPU when I was playing though, and it was topping 100. That seems a little high to me. Maybe I'll try underclocking it sometime tomorrow and see if that helps. Doesn't seem right that I would have to do that to a brand new card though.

#4Roman_UGPosted 12/4/2008 10:05:25 PM
What is your card brand? Nvidia? ATI? and what model? It could be your PSU, also. If your card is Nvidia, turn up the fan with Rivatuner (guru3d.com), put it to 60% or 80-100% if you dont mind the noise.
#5Da_GuardianPosted 12/4/2008 10:09:38 PM
Is your (in game) head injured?

>_>
---
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will finally know peace.
#6Da_GuardianPosted 12/4/2008 10:12:39 PM
What is your card brand? Nvidia? ATI? and what model? It could be your PSU, also. If your card is Nvidia, turn up the fan with Rivatuner (guru3d.com), put it to 60% or 80-100% if you dont mind the noise.

A 4850 is ATI.
Its highly unlikely to be your PSU, as the PSU hardly ever effects gaming.
The Core2Duo is very well pre optimized for this game as well, haven't heard any problems with anyone of them so far.

I would agree with this sentiment, attempt to lower the temperatures a bit.
Download speed fan (Google it) for a temperature reading.
For a cheap heat dissipation, just stick a small desktop fan behind the case. Worked for me!

Just make sure that you don't have any conflicting airflow though.

Also, is that 100F or 100C?

If its 100C, you're in trouble. 100F is actually pretty good.
---
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will finally know peace.