Charon or Fawkes

#1AthosthedarkonePosted 12/3/2008 7:57:16 PM
I've had Charon for a while now but I've never used him once because of the awesome companion that is Fawkes. I accidentally walked right into Old Olney In search of the music vault. Heck, I even fell into a hole and had to deal with all those deathclaws without a dartgun. Luckily, Fawkes was there to save me; without him (I refuse to call him a her) and laser gatling, those deathclaws would have killed me for sure.

So is Charon worth it? I think I'm going to try him anyways since I haven't died once since Fawkes joined me.
#2AnimeJet_V2Posted 12/3/2008 8:02:59 PM
Personally for me, Charon seems to have the best AI. I don't know if it's true, but it's just what i experienced. Both fawkes and paladin cross (even on long range AI) will constantly get in my way, while Charon somehow always kills crap with his shot gun from far away o_o

---
Originally:AnimeJet - 138212 http://animejet.sheezyart.com
Level 2 Locked @ 2837 Karma;Give me my account back, GameFAQs.
#3graffffffffikPosted 12/3/2008 8:24:13 PM
Charon = can use weapons of varying types, and virtually any armor in game.
also he can sneak and hold items

Fawkes, only uses Gatling laser as far as I know and it's not really that powerful or accurate

and he's rather slow, and I don't think he ever sneaks kinda like having a bull going around with you if you want to sneak you have to have him sit it out far away from you.
I don't think Fawkes can use any armor but hes immune to all radiation

you can give Charon enclave, or power armor, he'll live longer than Fawkes with it

ahh just my 2 cents

however I think both will stay with you regardless of alignment, unlike that hoity toity brotherhood chick.
dogmeat as well usually stays with you regardless of alignment but only has teeth as weapons
#4Sickle_WolfPosted 12/3/2008 8:26:55 PM
Jericho and Charon are my brothers of metal
---
Manowar.
#5Athosthedarkone(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2008 8:32:19 PM
See...I don't think Fawkes will die for me. That Brotherhood of Steel lady died to like 1 deathclaw. Fawkes killed like 5 of them by himself (I really couldn't do that much damage to them).
#6fox master xxPosted 12/3/2008 9:39:48 PM
I can't honestly belive anyone wouldn't choose Fawkes. He can take two nukes to the face and live. He's the only one you don't need to babysit.
---
Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.- Malcolm X
#7DuckboyPosted 12/3/2008 9:44:54 PM
Fawkes tanks everything. i just go pew pew
---
Derp
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=25081 - The Sentinel
#8TacoTheSmurfPosted 12/3/2008 9:46:31 PM
the only one that I've never had to baybsit(before I started setting them to essential) was Charon. He also helped me out by saying if there are hostiles in the area and his combat shottie is more useful for me because I like to use melee.
---
Supa Pahti! Awesome Colla! Less Go! Numbah Wahne!
XBL GT:Captain Bonr
#9FlyinBrianPosted 12/3/2008 10:52:00 PM
Charon is probably a better killer than Fawkes (his shotty just tears **** up!) but nothing beats Fawkes durability. Charon in power armor can take a pounding, but he's deathclaw food pretty easily. He tends to wander off and die during big battles too.

overall, they are the two best companions, but Fawkes is all around better.

companion run-down:

Jericho: meh, not much going on here. if you're evil he'll probably end up nuked

Clover: a lesser version of Charon. pretty good with her sword, but the sawed off is pretty inferior to Charon's combat shotty. must be why she's always whining for a better gun

Cross: better equiped than the other human allies, but still not as awesome as Charon and no reason to use her over Fawkes

Robot (forgot his number): good tank, draws fire like a pro but don't expect him to drop enemies. his plasma bolts and flamer attacks are surprisingly weak

Charon: the best of the equipable allies. his shotty makes stuff DIE and with a good suit of armor he's well defended. If you can't get Fawkes get Charon ASAP (hell, use Charon till you get Fawkes)

Fawkes: a one man/woman/other wrecking crew. this guy eats mini-nukes for breakfast and craps laser beams. Not much less than Liberty Prime could take out Fawkes. His laser spray is better for distraction than actual killing, but he takes any punishment like a champ and that's the main use of a companion
---
Sanity's really just a one trick pony, you just get one trick: rational thought. But when you're good and crazy, oh baby! The skies the limit! - The Tick
#10ranmafanPosted 12/4/2008 12:08:24 AM
I like Charon more because he doesn't get stuck as often, and you can give him any number of equipment and weapons, all of which he is effective at. And yes, like the above said, he can sneak. Fawkes is good, but requires you to play through a good part of the main game to get first, plus she's not very subtle.

Cheers,
Ran
---
Ignorance is a terrible, terrible affliction. And those who refuse to be cured are the worst affected.
http://angelfether.deviantart.com