Crazy Guy w/Rigged Mines in Alley (near Reilly's Rangers Compound)

#1AlluraPosted 2/19/2009 2:30:55 PM
I just made my way to the compound for the Reilly's Rangers quest and, while clearing out the street, I hear some crazy guy over a PA system going on and on about a hungry, burning worm. Just before the alley across the street from the compound entrance, there's a Wasteland Wanderer crouching in the corner. I can use charisma to send him running into the alley to set off a very deadly chain reaction of mines, which is always fun, but how the heck do I find the crazy guy? I run through the alley checking every building, but there doesn't seem to be any doors or anything. Anyone know what this is or how I can get to the crazy guy?

---
"Jesus was NOT a zombie, okay? I shouldn't have to tell you that!"
#2NarcelesPosted 2/19/2009 2:46:35 PM
When you go past the wastelander, on the left is a building with a hole in it towards the top. You can see the guy up there. I have no idea if you can get up there, *spoilers****

but I shot and killed him with no karma change. The wastelander afterwards just says something about how quiet it is. /shrug
---
Oh dear God what a tangled web we weave
Gamertag - Cerpin Daiyokai
#3OreoVIIPosted 2/19/2009 3:28:00 PM
If you sneak through the alley without letting the crazy guy know you're there (or just kill the crazy guy so he can't set off the explosives), you can pick up several mini-nukes as well as frag mines.

I don't know about anything quest related to this. It's weird...
---
Obama is not 'black'. He descends from African and European ancestry. He is a 'mulatto'.
#4BonnabinTheDirePosted 2/19/2009 3:32:19 PM
As far as I know, the only purpose it serves is to distract you. If you take all the mines in the area, as soon as he notices you he blows up invisible mines and triggers invisible mini-nukes.

If you take all the mines and send the Settler, same thing happens.

If you snipe the preacher, the Settler doesn't leave.

Ultimately, kill the guy. It's a useless filler.

What REALLY bothers me: The settler says he can't escape, because the alley is booby trapped. But there's an exit right beside him, which is the way I found out about this spot, and it's TOTALLY SAFE!!!
---
I'm horde. I made an ally alt on some random server, and everyone was like "guize I need to go to kintergarden, bbl" - Karmic DJ
#5zeppelin124xPosted 2/19/2009 3:42:55 PM
I just kept sending dogmeat in there to retrieve me ammo and weapons, then sent the scared wastelander in to see what was on the other side.
---
Well, who you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?
#6OreoVIIPosted 2/19/2009 11:57:01 PM
^Lol thats a good idea. Sounds quite time consuming though...
---
Obama is not 'black'. He descends from African and European ancestry. He is a 'mulatto'.
#7Allura(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2009 6:23:27 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. I was hoping it would be another side mission to do, but sniping the guy and collecting all the mines and nukes will be just as good. Though I think I'll reload a save and send the settler in a few more times, just to watch the explosion. The first time I came across it, I ran right in and blew myself up. It was funny to watch my mutilated torso fly through the air, sans head, arms, and legs. Err....I mean, eww...

---
"Jesus was NOT a zombie, okay? I shouldn't have to tell you that!"
#8Angry_HatPosted 2/20/2009 6:24:42 AM
I'll blow us all to hell! You, me, and the WORM!
---
Next time we meet, I'll be wearing my angry hat.
And trust me, it's one ugly hat.
#9HellFireXSPosted 2/20/2009 6:27:12 AM
"The first time I came across it, I ran right in and blew myself up."

Me too, I thought the scared wastelander needed to be rescued (tied up by super mutants) and when I got close he ran and I followed him...
---
Asus Striker II Extreme, Core2Quad Q9550 2.83GHz, 8GB DDR3-1333, 2x eVGA 280GTX 1GB (SLI), 1.81TB HDD (2x 1TB Raid0), Vista Ultimate (64-Bit), 1200w Powersupply