Xlive.DLL Fix

#1newfoolPosted 4/1/2009 1:27:08 AM

For those getting the frustrating missing Xlive DLL after updating to the latest patch.

This is what I did, (Try the step in RED first before attempting the whole thing)

Go to gamecopyworld(DOT)com and find Fallout 3 in their GAME INDEX.

Locate the WIN2K DLL Fix (Ignore the No-CD Cracks)

Download it and follow the instructions below (ignore instructions that come with the file):

1. Go to your C:Program FilesBethesda SoftworksFallout 3 Folder and locate the list of files below and create a backup (Just in Case)

xinput1_3.dll
advapi32_org.dll
KERNEL32.dll
KERNEL32_org.dll
advapi32.dll
xlive.dll

2. Unzip contents of the WIN2K DLL FIX into C:Program FilesBethesda SoftworksFallout 3 except for KERNEL32.dll

3. Run FalloutLauncher.exe and configure your game graphics settings

4. Now copy KERNEL32.dll from the ZIP into C:Program FilesBethesda SoftworksFallout 3
*FalloutLauncher.exe cannot be used again unless you move/backup KERNEL32.dll to somewhere else

5. Make shortcuts for Fallout3.exe instead of FalloutLauncher.exe

Now From here I launched the game and it didnt work... so what I recommend you try is the step below before getting the WIN2KDLLS from gamecopyworld:

6. Download the latest xliveredist.msi from microsoft and install. ( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4A7F4478-7A4E-4F89-A88C-319972839793&displaylang=en )

7. GO TO SYSTEM32 Folder, Locate XLIVE.DLL, Copy & overwrite into Fallout 3 Folder

8. Play the game!

If this simple step does not work then you might need the WIN2k DLLS and need to follow all the steps above, including the one in RED in order.

Enjoy!

#2AlphaePosted 4/1/2009 7:22:38 AM
right.
red.
pray, tell me, which one, is red?
---
Go figure.
#3DNShepardPosted 4/1/2009 8:11:09 AM
I'm guessing he just copy pasted this from another site (without crediting the original poster) which supports different text colors in posts.
---
Semper fudge.
#4newfool(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2009 4:21:56 PM

Nothing to be credited here, except the instructions that come with the WIN2K Files. I set the colours to red, and its red at my place.

Step 6-7 are what you should do first.

Everybody tells you to download the xliveredist and install. What nobody says is that the xlive.dll the game is asking for is not the one in your system 32 folders... its checking the one in the game's folder.

I discovered this by pure luck in an act of frustration.

#5newfool(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2009 4:34:26 PM
Installing xliveredist does not update the one in your Fallout Folder. That's y I believe the Xlive.dll works... try it first by backing up a copy. It won't affect anything.

btw I've played for one hour or so without any crashes. I've downloaded the DLC the Pitt and got the signal 1 min into the game.
VATS works perfectly without any lag. No random crashes either. Anyway I was not getting any random crash before. Also, I updated from 1.0.12 to 1.4.6 directly.
#6newfool(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2009 5:11:00 PM
do this first if you cna't see text above:

6. Download the latest xliveredist.msi from microsoft and install. ( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4A7F4478-7A4E-4F89-A88C-319972839793&displaylang=en )

7. GO TO SYSTEM32 Folder, Locate XLIVE.DLL, Copy & overwrite into Fallout 3 Folder