Why is the Fallout 3 Nexus such a circle jerk?

#1NightmareKindPosted 4/23/2009 12:13:25 AM
Seriously, every mod MUST get a 9 or 10, putting even the crappiest ones at the same rating as awesome mods like MMM, Classic Fallout Weapons, and Enclave Commander. I mean it's one thing to give a mod a 1 and say "screw you" or "it's rubbish" but I've very rarely seen a rating of less than 7 or even 8 that doesn't get censored unless the poster writes an essay defending their rating, unless the mod is really truly broken. What a useless rating system. I've been a Fallout fan since the beginning of the series, I was a moderator at the Interplay forums years ago, and I still feel a unique kinship with other Fallout fans, but I find this very frustrating.
#2ShadeSFPosted 4/23/2009 12:22:36 AM
Yeah that is true. Someone could create a website just dedicating to listing and reviewing mods. It wouldent even have to have them to download just links to places to.
#3NightmareKind(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2009 12:27:11 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4NightmareKind(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2009 12:28:49 AM
I think part of what's so frustrating is the lack of other sites dedicated to Fallout 3. It's also ridiculous that you have to have an account just to download. Furthermore, I suspect that there are many people who feel the same way, but they're afraid to speak about it because the mods and admins are so touchy.
---
"Without beer, prohibition doesn't work." -Homer Simpson
#5TwoFiveZeroOnePosted 4/23/2009 1:03:06 AM
Because all the mods/admins on that site were the same ones for the TES4 nexus? honestly the mod "Buddha" on that site is like a kindergarden teacher who gives gold stars to even the dumbest of children just for "effort".

And the worst part is; most of the 'higher' quality mods in textures and functionality aren't even hosted on that site (i.e. the crysis nanosuit and BF 2142 weapons mods are all independently hosted due to the nexus's iron rule of law).
---
Res dura, et regni novitas me talia cogunt Moliri, et late fines custode tueri
#6NightmareKind(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2009 2:05:23 AM
Yeah, Buddah is jackass. The second worst admin I have ever seen.
---
"Without beer, prohibition doesn't work." -Homer Simpson
#7miltos33Posted 4/23/2009 2:38:44 AM

I think that some of you are missing the point. Modders are members of the community who are willing to share their work with others. They don't try to sell you a product or service. So if you like something that improves your gaming experience, you download it for free, you give it a good rate, and say thank you to the modder. If you don't like something, you just leave it, and say nothing. The only reason to complain about a mod is if it causes technical problems and breaks your game. It is because of this prevalent attitude that nexus is relatively free of trolls and spoiled kids, and games like Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 are kept alive by the community well after their release date while most other games are soon forgotten. If you want to be highly critical against somebody else's work you are free to do so against the developers of a game because these people ask for your hard earned cash and the products and services that they try to sell you are expected to be of a high standard.

#8smg7618Posted 4/23/2009 3:30:25 AM
Seriously? Because I didn't pay money for something does not mean that I cannot post an opinion about said item. If it sucks, or even if it was just ok, I'd like to think that others in the community would say that it wasn't very good, or suggestions to the author that would make it a better product. I am not saying to go there and flame the hell out of him/her, but constructive criticism is good for the community as a whole. If the mod authors can't take possible bad reviews by the user, then don't make the mod. Basically the site mods are saying: "Here's a comment section, tell us what you think. Oh, btw, if it isn't positive, we will delete it." Bunch of horse****, if you ask me.
---
If all else fails: duck. As a defensive stratagem it's unreliable, but incredibly reassuring for a moment or two. - Lord Corvis of Petrax
#9miltos33Posted 4/23/2009 4:42:29 AM

[QUOTE="smg7618"] I am not saying to go there and flame the hell out of him/her, but constructive criticism is good for the community as a whole.

I strongly agree with this statement. But from what I've seen many comments which are deleted are flaming or trolling and are not based on constructive criticism. It is possible that the nexus moderators may have occasionally overreacted but it is sometimes difficult to draw a line. Perhaps it is better to be safe than sorry. One thing I would hate to see is the strong modding community that makes the Beth games unique to go down because of a bunch of flaming trolls.

#10FonyPosted 4/23/2009 4:50:04 AM
any complaint is treated as flaming, period.
---
What sets off the metal detectors first, the lead in your ass or the **** in your brain?