Crashing on startup

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 3
  3. Crashing on startup

User Info: Windexglowing

Windexglowing
6 years ago#1
I used to be able to play this game (pre-DCL, 1.1?) fine; getting a crash roughly every hour or so.
But I download some mods that conflict with each other, causing crashes every 20 minutes. I get disenchanted with fallout3 and uninstall it.

Fast forward to now and I've had the urge to play it again. I start the download from steam and download the mods I want from nexus.

Before I even unpack my mods I test out fallout3 (1.7) - It shows and plays the first slide correctly, but the moment the slide-transition sound begins to play (literally the instant) the game crashes. Always in the same spot.
Only fallout3.esm active.

So I uninstall fallout 3 and download it over; start game and it still crashes in the exact same spot.
Is this a known problem/any solutions?

AMD 9550 quad 2.3 gigz
Nvidea GTX 260 (drivers updated last week)
6gigs of ram
vista 64bit
i hate it when people quote other people and put it in there sig! ITS EVIL!
back on topic just do not quit. lol. - thespywholied

User Info: Windexglowing

Windexglowing
6 years ago#2
Posted too soon - fixed.

For some reason my computer deleted the my games/fallout3 folder - but left the files inside intact.

So when fallout3 started for the first time it would create the fallout3 folder; see the files already existed and try to start the game with them. The files were corrupted causing the game to crash.

Solution:
Install fallout 3
Launch launcher - edit settings
Exit launcher
Go to "Users\USER_NAME\Documents\My Games\Fallout3" and delete all files
Start fallout 3 (edit settings if needed)
Bake for 5 minutes, turn over if necessary
i hate it when people quote other people and put it in there sig! ITS EVIL!
back on topic just do not quit. lol. - thespywholied
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 3
  3. Crashing on startup

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived