Unarmed Damage = Skill / 20???

#1hisashiburiPosted 5/4/2010 8:42:37 AM
I have been doing some extensive testing, everything would seem to point to the base Unarmed Damage being 0.5 with every skill point contributing 0.05 there on. This would lead to a total Unarmed Damage bonus of 5.50 at skill level 100, which gets rounded up to 6.00.

Here is a screenshot I took doing some basic testing:
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/9387/falloutscreen1.jpg

I have been looking around the place, most people seem to be saying Unarmed Damage = Skill / 4 meaning you would get +25 damage at max skill. I have looked high and low and it all seems to stem from an article on fallout.wikia, but there is no other source for this figure let alone one with proof.

If this is the case, Unarmed pretty much becomes a big waste of time, except for prerequisites for some of the perks. I am half way through an Unarmed only build at the moment, and having a lot of fun, but a few things didnt seem to be adding up which drove me to investigate further.

So there you have it, if anyone has anything interesting to note I would like to see it.

---
A jury last year convicted Nelson of violating Rosenbaum's civil rights by stabbing him.
Do you feel violated?
#2bhamvPosted 5/4/2010 8:48:12 AM
I'm not sure about the numbers, but based on my own experience I don't agree with unarmed builds being a waste of time. Unarmed-specialized builds with weapons like the Deathclaw Gauntlet or Fisto are devastating.

Unless you're talking about bare hands only, in which case, maybe.
#3hisashiburi(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2010 9:20:11 AM
No no I am not saying the BUILD is a waste of time, as I said I am quite enjoying mine. I am saying the skill is a waste of time, as in why the hell did I race to get it to 95 at the expense of not being able to pick a lock or hack a computer when all it contributed were a hand full of extra damage points and access to some perks I am 10 levels away from having?

Point is, accuracy is entirely user defined and now it seems damage is entirely perk and weapon defined, leaving the skill itself a hollow number. Sad I think.
---
A jury last year convicted Nelson of violating Rosenbaum's civil rights by stabbing him.
Do you feel violated?
#4youngval312Posted 5/4/2010 10:29:47 AM
Oh, that's a good point, if its true. I'm still the kind of player that would max unarmed if I was going to use it, though. I'll take all the bonus I can get, however small.

On a side note, what mod is it that makes your pip-boy look like that?
---
-Val Young-
#5jletterPosted 5/4/2010 10:56:12 AM
Yeah, the only real reason to raise unarmed is if you wanted Paralyzing Palm. (Which, if you're doing unarmed is pretty sweet. And even if not doing sole-unarmed, it's still fun.)
But even then you only need to get it to 70.
---
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite board on GameFAQs.
#6Majin ZeroPosted 5/4/2010 12:23:41 PM
Stealth boy + Deathclaw gauntlet = insta-kill crits
---
^ ^ v v < > < > B A, Select, Start
#7SushiSquidPosted 5/4/2010 3:47:41 PM
That's the Pipboy Readius mod. Look it up. Also grab the Pipboy Readius skin kit so you can recolor it as you want. If you use any night vision mod, even if it's not mine, then make sure to also grab my screenglare from my Night Person Night Vision mod so you can still read the screen while your night vision is active. Even the darkest screenglare on the reskin kit won't be dark enough when using any night vision.
#8hisashiburi(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2010 2:28:49 AM
Somebody on fallout3.wikia claims the skill / 4 formula comes from the "official fallout 3 strategy guide" though I doubt if its accurate, unless the skill damage bonus is stacked OUTSIDE the Unarmed Damage Actor Value parenthesis and this is impossible to detect in pip-boy or console.

Also does not explain why I can clearly see/detect the stats that I can, unless skill is divided twice, once by 4 and once by 20, and the latter included in parenthesis and the former outside. Weird in any case, I would quicker assume the strategy guide is outright wrong.

I mean come on, x-ray machines have flooded patients with lethal doses of radiation over simpler human programming errors.
---
Do you feel violated?