Fallout 3 exploring compared to Oblivion

#1FastEddie2121Posted 5/9/2010 5:23:45 PM
How do they compare. I really liked exploring in Oblivion, granted that once I maxed out my level and had good equipment, it did a bit repetitive. Fallout 3 looks barren but I figure buildings and underground tunnels offer up plenty to do, or is FO3 based more on main/side quests and less on scouring every inch of the map?
#2Subby33Posted 5/9/2010 6:05:37 PM
You can spend hours scouring in FO3 or you can just follow the main story line.

Most people who have the most fun with this game probably spent hundreds of hours (like I did) just exploring and finding new areas. Its really fun.
#3wackyteenPosted 5/9/2010 6:42:49 PM

How do they compare. I really liked exploring in Oblivion, granted that once I maxed out my level and had good equipment, it did a bit repetitive. Fallout 3 looks barren but I figure buildings and underground tunnels offer up plenty to do, or is FO3 based more on main/side quests and less on scouring every inch of the map?

you can only reach certain parts of D.C. through tunnels/caves.
#4azzaroksPosted 5/9/2010 6:58:09 PM
i find the "game world" to be quite enormous! I love exploring the game on games like this, morrowind being one of my favs :)
There is a lot to explore, new places to find, people with quests etc
And the DLC add quite a bit. i thought Point Lookout (DLC #4) was rather large on its own.

---
"I'm a warrior! Not a... variety of flower!" - Vegeta
#5youngval312Posted 5/10/2010 2:13:26 AM
Theres not as many locations as Morrowind, probably about the same or somewhat less than Oblivion, but Fallout 3 is really about all the random stuff you find and exploring the wasteland. Its incredible. Its easily one of the best of the three, although they're all great games. The thing with Fallout 3 compared to Oblivion is that you need mods to 'fix' Oblivion, and Fallout 3 is extremely fun and well-built right out of the box.
---
-Val Young-
#6azzaroksPosted 5/10/2010 3:06:51 AM
^ agreed. I use NO mods whatsoever, because i dont think they are necessary. Just thinking about all the things that happen make me think; "im so glad i didnt have to make this game", haha! It would have taken ages! The random events add a really realistic feel to the game.
Morrorwind did have more locations i agree. But Fallout , makes up for it with all the events and such.
---
#7FastEddie2121(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2010 3:22:41 AM
thanks! I'll be done with finals on tuesday, can't wait!!
#8azzaroksPosted 5/10/2010 3:28:07 AM
you'll have fun i guarantee it :)
---
#9dnd22Posted 5/10/2010 4:00:37 AM
I had a lot of fun exploring in this game.

It's unfortunate though that I'm one of the select few users that can only play this game for ~30 minute intervals because it crashes constantly when mods are simply enabled. I would play this game a lot more if it weren't for that.
#10SmakitPosted 5/10/2010 6:23:24 PM
I actually liked it a bit better than Oblivion. Don't get me wrong, it was fun running around Oblivion, and some areas the landscape looked great. To me though, it just seems like each area in FO3 has more character. Like you can follow some power lines, find some power stations along the way. Or, you can go through various subway connections and explore various DC spots. Or you might run into a factory or a small village.

I guess it is sort of the same thing in a way (ie, you find raiders here, or super mutants there), but each spot seems more realistic and varied, as opposed to Oblivion (for the most part) having tons of places, but basically being storyless slight variations of caves or towers. Again, not that I didn't enjoy Oblivion, but as for the actual exploration, Fallout 3 just seems better in most every way. Also finding specific unique NPCs and special items instead of tons of chest always filled with random useless junk is nice. I don't know how many times I played Oblivion thinking "This would be a great spot for a hidden item!" only to find a chest with a few gold and a repair hammer (or nothing more often than not =P).

But, you like one, you will probably like the other.
---
~ Smakit ~