Fallout 3 GOTY Edition and Mods from Nexus.

#1Drag0nseekersPosted 7/18/2010 7:29:49 AM
I am just curious about modding Fallout 3 GOTY Edition. When I go into the Folder, none of the Mesh, texture or other usual folders exist. Is this a problem and does it Make F3GOTY unmodable? Or am I missing something.

Thanks for the help.
---
"Have you ever noticed the people on the anime board are a bunch of *****" -Seth82146
#2redsky999Posted 7/18/2010 8:17:31 AM

You use the GECK. Its a free piece of software that you use to make and edit files by loading .esm and .esp files. There will be an .esm for the main game and an .esp for each of the plugins. You can find the GECK and the v1.5 update here:

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/geck.html

#3SuperemppuPosted 7/18/2010 8:24:11 AM

You use the GECK. Its a free piece of software that you use to make and edit files by loading .esm and .esp files. There will be an .esm for the main game and an .esp for each of the plugins. You can find the GECK and the v1.5 update here:

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/geck.html

That didn't answer the question in the OP in any way.

A proper answer:
I have the GOTY edition and it's modded too. It works 100% the same way as the non goty.

---
"Scirrors are overpowered, Rock is fine" -Paper
Four figure karma, 13.2.2010
#4Drag0nseekers(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2010 8:26:17 AM
The Construction kit? I am curious how that would help. I am technically trying to install the better bodies mod (Type V) and all the readme said was replace files. I found nothing in the Data foulder to replace, thus the mod is not working.

Thank you.
---
"Have you ever noticed the people on the anime board are a bunch of *****" -Seth82146
#5SentaPosted 7/18/2010 8:35:00 AM
If the folder does not exist, you simply create it. Then again, if you got it through Steam, don't you have to install the mods elsewhere? Not certain..
#6Hitman4650Posted 7/18/2010 8:38:25 AM
The Textures and Meshes aren't stored in folders inside the Data folder. It doesn't necessarily follow that you're not replacing files, therefore it won't work. You just place the folders labeled Textures and Meshes into the Data folder, and then go to the Fallout.ini file. The marker "bInvalidateOlderFiles=0" should be somewhere in the text, change it to "bInvalidateOlderFiles=1," now you've added your files and you've set it so that older files get replaced. Now, it should work.
#7SuperemppuPosted 7/18/2010 8:42:14 AM
Or get the awesome mod manager, it does the archive invalidation stuff for you.
---
"Scirrors are overpowered, Rock is fine" -Paper
Four figure karma, 13.2.2010
#8Aoshii_buddyPosted 7/18/2010 9:42:17 AM
If you want all of the original files to be able to be overwritten, you should use a BSA unpacked and unpack those BSAs. That's where the normal game files are. Beware, it is upwards of 8gigs more storage required.
---
GT-AoshiiYoshii
Games- Fallout 3, Mass Effect 1/2, Modern Warfare 2, Dragon Age: Origins, NCAA Football 10, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.
#9redsky999Posted 7/18/2010 11:32:38 AM

"I am just curious about modding Fallout 3 GOTY Edition. When I go into the Folder, none of the Mesh, texture or other usual folders exist. Is this a problem and does it Make F3GOTY unmodable? Or am I missing something. Thanks for the help."

"That didn't answer the question in the OP in any way.

A proper answer:
I have the GOTY edition and it's modded too. It works 100% the same way as the non goty.
"

In my defense, in the OP it doesnt say that hes trying to install a mod. Its ambiguous as to whether hes trying to install a mod or create one. From his post, I thought he was trying to edit file by finding them in the directory or using a different program to edit them.