Fallout 3: Random crashes to desktop

#1trogers2Posted 8/28/2011 1:55:47 PM
I'm getting sick and tired of it, and looking online it seems to be a huge problem but none of the "fixes" I have worked.

Fallout 3 will crash at random points in the game, more common in the wasteland areas.

*in Dxdiag - I disabled 'texture Accleration' (no effect, crashes continued)
*Updated video card driver (Minor effect, this reduced the crashes but they are still frequent)
*Cleared efforts in registory (no effect)
*cleared temp files/junk files (no effect)
*updated sound card drivers (no effect)
*tried game in window mode (no effect)
*tried patches (all) (no effect)

*I tried the game with the sound card on my video card instead of the monitor sound (sound max) This seemed to stop the crashes for a brief moment but they continued. Game crashed only if it was pointed directly at the wasteland.

*I took a gun out and shot in the sky, game continued to run - I crashed when turning towards the wasteland.

*I turned off all sound and tried running the game, no effect - Crashed again

*I put settings on the lowest, this has no effect on the crashing (My PC can handle running upto medium)

PC model: Dell GX280 (SFF)
Video card: Geforce 8400 (sff) (512mb)
Ram: 1GB (DDR2)

*I am more prone to crash in the wasteland area (it happens in towns but rarely) *I am more prone to crash in specfic types of wasteland area
*Sometimes crashing is random and happens without warning such as firing a gun at the ground
*I can run the game for upto 30 mins if I tried to avoid "hot spots" where I am prone to crash before I crash
*Updating my video card has helped in reducing the crashing but it is still hard to get 30 mins of game play before crash

MY PC CAN HANDLE UPTO MED SETTINGS AS I HAVE PLAYED THE START OF THE GAME ON THIS WITH NO CRASHES, CRASHES ARE PRONE IN WASTELAND AREAS.

Any help would in tackeling this issue would be a massive help guys. I'll keep you all updated.
#2Crimson GrogPosted 8/28/2011 7:20:33 PM
Although there may be an actual problem that you're experiencing, a lot of Bethesda games just do that (Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3). That's why I save religiously.
---
Are druids still bug? -happyscrub1
No Sum durids are bare, and sum durids r cat (which iz 4 fite); but no durids are bugz -ShadowEdgeX
#3mousiehamsterPosted 8/29/2011 2:07:31 AM(edited)
trogers2 posted...
I'm getting sick and tired of it, and looking online it seems to be a huge problem but none of the "fixes" I have worked.

Fallout 3 will crash at random points in the game, more common in the wasteland areas.

*in Dxdiag - I disabled 'texture Accleration' (no effect, crashes continued)
*Updated video card driver (Minor effect, this reduced the crashes but they are still frequent)
*Cleared efforts in registory (no effect)
*cleared temp files/junk files (no effect)
*updated sound card drivers (no effect)
*tried game in window mode (no effect)
*tried patches (all) (no effect)

*I tried the game with the sound card on my video card instead of the monitor sound (sound max) This seemed to stop the crashes for a brief moment but they continued. Game crashed only if it was pointed directly at the wasteland.

*I took a gun out and shot in the sky, game continued to run - I crashed when turning towards the wasteland.

*I turned off all sound and tried running the game, no effect - Crashed again

*I put settings on the lowest, this has no effect on the crashing (My PC can handle running upto medium)

PC model: Dell GX280 (SFF)
Video card: Geforce 8400 (sff) (512mb)
Ram: 1GB (DDR2)

*I am more prone to crash in the wasteland area (it happens in towns but rarely) *I am more prone to crash in specfic types of wasteland area
*Sometimes crashing is random and happens without warning such as firing a gun at the ground
*I can run the game for upto 30 mins if I tried to avoid "hot spots" where I am prone to crash before I crash
*Updating my video card has helped in reducing the crashing but it is still hard to get 30 mins of game play before crash

MY PC CAN HANDLE UPTO MED SETTINGS AS I HAVE PLAYED THE START OF THE GAME ON THIS WITH NO CRASHES, CRASHES ARE PRONE IN WASTELAND AREAS.

Any help would in tackeling this issue would be a massive help guys. I'll keep you all updated.

Do you have any mods installed? Where are the places that guarantee a crash? I get crashes at a few specific places (such as hamilton's hideaway, which i can't fast travel to) and some fairly infrequent random crashes.

BTW, a few things you can do. If you have a multi core processor, go to your documents/my games folder and find the fallout3.ini. Add this line if it isn't there:

iNumHWThreads=2

For more tweaks, consult this url here:
http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_10.html

edit: i don't think you should disable texture acceleration. Sounds like it'd kill performance. What i noticed is that fallout 3 tends to crash when it loads large areas with plenty of enemy spawns so turning it back on might actually reduce wasteland crashes.
#4DestructiosPosted 8/29/2011 5:34:59 AM
Destructios posted...
Running it as an admin and putting it in compatibility for xp service pack 3 helped me, also make sure that the FO3 folder, contents and subfolders are not read only. That is what helped me, I still have the occasional crash but nothing major.