What model to get?

#1LimblessQuasarPosted 6/12/2012 11:28:06 PM
Just looking around Online...Wanted to ask any passer-by;

What model do you own? What model should I get?

I'm only planning on using the console for playing games, but I wasn't really sure what the "Best" option was....Cheers for any help given.
---
Its only like 70 years away. By then, ill just be hitting my stride. Like the PS3. - Skul_
#2JazoniPosted 6/13/2012 4:23:48 PM
Any model, except the Goldstar version, which has compatibility issues, and some games don't work on it.

I own a FZ-1 (the original front loader version) so, I would definitely recommend buying that model. The top loader (the FZ-10) doesn't seem as sturdy, and as well built as the FZ-1.
---
Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy is the best Movie ever! oh...
The mysterious Dreamcast Forum Lurker
#3LimblessQuasar(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2012 12:53:08 PM
Thanks, I know what I'm looking for now, cheers.
---
Its only like 70 years away. By then, ill just be hitting my stride. Like the PS3. - Skul_
#4wheepitupPosted 6/15/2012 1:03:06 PM
If anything, the FZ-10 would be more sturdy as it would still be usable even if the flip top lid broke. Also the FZ-1 has the power cord hard wired in while the FZ-10 uses a ps1 style cord which would be much easier to replace.

I would recommend the FZ-10 honestly.
---
Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/decayedmatter My Collection - http://people.ign.com/decayedmatter/games
#5spiffyonePosted 6/15/2012 2:40:50 PM
The FZ-10.

Just make sure that the FZ-10 you get is a model manufactured prior to Fall 1995 (so July or August 1995 would be the cut off). The reason is that The 3DO Company had consolidated the original chipset of the DMA and video processors ("MADAM" and "CLIO") and the audio processor onto one chip (named "Anvil"). The FZ-10 models made before Fall '95 had all the separate chips (albeit smaller sized than in the FZ-1, iirc), and, as stated, after than the video and audio chips were merged together to make "Anvil". Had the system lived longer, they would've merged the ARM CPU with the others to make "Calvin".

Anyway, apparently the FZ-10 systems using "Anvil" have some issues with games, and also don't run...backups.... Now, regardless of whether you agree with "backups" or not, the fact that it may have some issues there also will make it more difficult to run homebrew, and now that the encryption has been cracked and more people are digging into the system hardware and OS and API (what was used to run and make the games), there's going to be homebrew coming out...hopefully. If there is, you'll want a system that can run those games.

So, FZ-10, pre-Fall 1995.
#6wheepitupPosted 6/15/2012 5:37:34 PM
spiffyone posted...
The FZ-10.

Just make sure that the FZ-10 you get is a model manufactured prior to Fall 1995 (so July or August 1995 would be the cut off). The reason is that The 3DO Company had consolidated the original chipset of the DMA and video processors ("MADAM" and "CLIO") and the audio processor onto one chip (named "Anvil"). The FZ-10 models made before Fall '95 had all the separate chips (albeit smaller sized than in the FZ-1, iirc), and, as stated, after than the video and audio chips were merged together to make "Anvil". Had the system lived longer, they would've merged the ARM CPU with the others to make "Calvin".

Anyway, apparently the FZ-10 systems using "Anvil" have some issues with games, and also don't run...backups.... Now, regardless of whether you agree with "backups" or not, the fact that it may have some issues there also will make it more difficult to run homebrew, and now that the encryption has been cracked and more people are digging into the system hardware and OS and API (what was used to run and make the games), there's going to be homebrew coming out...hopefully. If there is, you'll want a system that can run those games.

I never knew that. I have an FZ-10 and it plays backups fine, good to know I got the right model.
---
Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/decayedmatter My Collection - http://people.ign.com/decayedmatter/games
#7LimblessQuasar(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2012 12:32:46 PM
spiffyone posted...

Well, that's interesting, great informative post.

It's actually kind of odd, since the FZ-10 has better deals around the Internet. Now if I might ask a question...How can I tell specifically if it was released before Fall 95? I could easily ask the seller, but I know a lot of them deal en masse, so they may or may not know where to look.

Per backups and such, I have no issue with them. Discs are oxidizing on some systems already. The consoles and the games won't last forever in perfect physical form, so...this isn't the place for that, anyways. The homebrew sounds great, so thanks for that as well, I'm excited to hear there's actual interest in development.
---