How Do I Cultivate Mushrooms?!?!?!?!?!?!?

#1sir_krisPosted 9/15/2009 3:26:23 AM

This is driving me CRAZY!! No matter what options I select in the cultivation room (damp, etc), I can't get any mushrooms to grow. I managed to get 1 mushroom to grow once, but that was it. Repeating the same options doesn't work. Leaving the room and coming back later doesn't work. Standing in the room (waiting 2+ hours now) doesn't work. What the hell does?!

And if I talk to the guy, the first time he always says to wait a little while longer. Then, the second time he always just asks for a new set of growing options. What the hell?! I've Googled this thing to no end, but all I can find is stuff talking about the mushroom/mint battle that occurs if you grow enough mushrooms. There's just no explanation of HOW I'm supposed to grow the damn mushrooms!

Is this a bug in the game, or is there some secret handshake or whatever that I'm not getting? What options do I need to pick? How long before I know whether or not it worked? Is it better to stay in the room or leave, or does it matter? HELP!!

#2p_yPosted 9/15/2009 3:48:00 AM
Try SOng's/Putingrad's guides, under "cultivation room".
#3sir_kris(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2009 4:18:14 AM

p_y posted...
Try SOng's/Putingrad's guides, under "cultivation room".

Who, what? I have no idea what that is. Is that a section on this website?

#4sir_kris(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2009 4:20:01 AM
Nevermind, I found it on Google. But it only lists what the combinations are. It doesn't say anything about how to get something to grow or how long it's supposed to take.
#5Hotel_SecurityPosted 9/15/2009 6:41:12 AM
Dude...the website is called "GameFAQS". There's a link at the top of every message board called "FAQs". Click it. Click the one created by a user called "Song". Find the part on the cultivation room.

Or you can do what every sensible person does and forget the cultivation stuff completely since it's a big waste of time.
#6blazefeelerPosted 9/15/2009 2:07:19 PM
*sigh*
---
Sacrifice the heathens!
Serving as the Proud Altar Boy of the Church of Georg since 06'
#7p_yPosted 9/15/2009 4:45:46 PM
How did you find the board... but not the faqs? :p
#8VaalbaranPosted 9/16/2009 5:27:55 PM
If the style of his second post isn't any indication..

---
He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had the chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic
#9sir_kris(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2009 3:59:48 AM

Hotel_Security posted...
Dude...the website is called "GameFAQS". There's a link at the top of every message board called "FAQs". Click it. Click the one created by a user called "Song". Find the part on the cultivation room.

Or you can do what every sensible person does and forget the cultivation stuff completely since it's a big waste of time.

Wow, there are some real a$$holes on here! Forgive me, oh great Hotel_Security, for finding this website off of Google and not noticing the almighty "FAQ" link. If you're not going to say anything helpful, you're just wasting your time posting. :P

Anyway, despite one or two idiots trying to make themselves feel superior, I figured this out on my own (the FAQ section here wasn't really much help btw :P). If this website followed decent SEO practices, the FAQ section would come up at the top of the Google results instead of just quickly-expiring topic threads....

So, in case anyone stumbles on this with the same question, don't waste your time looking for the FAQ section. I'll tell you exactly what you need to do right here:

1. Talk to either Mao (mushrooms) or Nao (mint). It doesn't matter whom, but keep in mind that you can only grow one or the other at any given time! Also, it takes several dialogue sequences in order for a mushroom/mint to grow, though it took me awhile to figure this out.

2. It doesn't matter which lighting/etc choices you make in terms of getting the mixed herbs. If you want to get through it quickly, just talk to Nao and pick the first option every single time. You'll get a mint, which restores all mp up to level 2, and this way you just press the X button really fast.

3. Wait approximately 3 minutes. Then, talk to the same person (Mao or Nao) again. He'll say it'll take awhile longer the first time, no matter how long you waited. So talk to him again, and he'll ask you the same series of dumb questions again. Just answer the same as before.

4. Repeat Step 3 about four times. After the final time, instead of asking you more questions, he'll just say something else and you'll notice a bright light emanating from that box thing on the table in the center of the room. Walk up to it and hit X to collect your prize, though it's not worth much.

5. Repeat steps 1 - 4 a total of three times. On the third runthrough, instead of getting a crappy mushroom/mint, the screen will darken, and you'll find yourself commanding a Suikoden 1 ****battle! The side you're commanding will depend on which herb you chose previously, but it doesn't really matter. The number of enemy soldiers appears to be completely random within a certain range.

6. This battle is insultingly easy to win, especially if you've already recruited all 108 stars. If you've played Suikoden 1, this will be child's play to you. The first round is always the most important, as this is your chance to deplete the enemy's numbers, so that in subsequent rounds they won't be able to do much damage even if you make a misstep. Therefore, *always* use your spies first, if you have them! Just like in S1, Charge beats Arrow, Arrow beats Magic, and Magic beats Charge. The spies will tell you what the enemy's next move will be, which means you can easily chop the enemy down to size the first time through. Then, if you have your merchants, use them to buy off some of the enemy. The number of enemy soldiers who defect is random within a given range, typically 1,000 to 10,000. You can then use the petty thieves to spy as well, though they occasionally get it wrong, but by this time it won't really matter because the enemy is already too weak to do much damage. If you're doing a charge, use your tacticians to boost it. I tend to avoid using mermaids, as they sometimes hurt your own army's stats instead of the enemy's!

7. After you win the battle, you'll return to the room, and you'll be awarded mixed herbs! This item restores 100% of a character's MP, so it's *extremely* valuable, especially later in the game!! I'm guessing the mixed herbs must be the various corpses of dead mushrooms and mints from the battle; quite morbid, actually. At any rate, repeat this process as often as you like. I ended up winning a total of 15 mixed herbs using this process before beating the game. If you want a good strategy, go to the training room next door to level-up your party (you can go all the way up to 99!). Then, after each session (whether you win or lose), before going to your room to rest, go back to the cultivation room across the hall to advance the sequence.

You're welcome. =)

#10Hotel_SecurityPosted 9/24/2009 7:44:43 AM
Wow, there are some real a$$holes on here! Forgive me, oh great Hotel_Security, for finding this website off of Google and not noticing the almighty "FAQ" link. If you're not going to say anything helpful, you're just wasting your time posting. :P

Oh spare me the dramatics, buddy. Despite my sarcastic tone, I DID give you the exact directions to how to find a decent FAQ to help you since I know that FAQ had a section on the cultivation stuff. Apparently you were too busy getting offended to notice. Next time I'll just tell you to piss off and report you to a mod for asking repetitive questions. Now THOSE people are a-holes.

And I was serious...the entire thing IS a waste of time. You'll never need any of the items you get from it and a lot of it involves you standing around a waiting for the next step of the cultivation process to take place. Just not worth the time OR the effort.

So, in case anyone stumbles on this with the same question, don't waste your time looking for the FAQ section.

Actually a week from now it'll actual waste MORE time to find this obscure random post on a message board filled with random posts than it will to find the info in a FAQ. Just saying...

You're welcome. =)

Uh...thanks...