This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

100% Catch Rate?

#1LegendedPosted 6/27/2012 10:30:42 PM
There is a trick that is rumored to work. The trick is when you throw a poke ball, hold (a) as the ball begins to open and release (a) as soon as the poke ball closes. Then as soon as ball begins to jiggle side to side hit (a) each time. This is suppose to increase the odds of you catching a pokemon. I've heard of people using different methods, but does this even work or is just giving me a false satisfactory?

I'm playing on an emulator and use save states before I throw the ball and reload that state if I fail to catch a pokemon. I notice the odds changes regardless if I press (a) or not. Does anybody have any word on this?
---
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
#2kecleonixPosted 6/28/2012 1:10:00 AM
It doesn't work.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#3kirbymuncherPosted 6/28/2012 5:07:13 AM
I'm playing on an emulator and use save states before I throw the ball and reload that state if I fail to catch a pokemon.

If this is the case, your best option for catching things is to reload and try throwing the ball after waiting a different amount of time. Whether the pokemon is caught or not is determined by the frame you throw the ball on, so just go through them 1-by-1 with frame advance until you find one where you catch it
---
THIS IS WHAT I HATE A BOUT EVREY WEBSITE!! THERES SO MUCH PEOPLE READING AND POSTING STUIPED STUFF
#4Legended(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2012 8:09:12 AM
If this is the case, your best option for catching things is to reload and try throwing the ball after waiting a different amount of time. Whether the pokemon is caught or not is determined by the frame you throw the ball on, so just go through them 1-by-1 with frame advance until you find one where you catch it

I've actually tried this and the (a) does seem to have some effect in changing the odds. I'm not sure if it's all in the timing or what. It would be nice to see the mathematical equation behind the addresses and values. I was never to good at reading hex tho.
---
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
#5gbchaosmasterPosted 6/28/2012 8:52:10 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of (broken) RNG! People most popularly do this with shinies - finding out the exact frame where a pokemon encounter results in a shiny. Almost every "random" aspect of a battle is controlled by the (broken) RNG - captures, effects of moves, critical hits, IVs...

There's a mathematical pattern behind it, but it's too complicated and not very linear, which is why said button cheats are bullcrap and it's why you shouldn't bother with this for something as easy as pokemon catching. Use cheats, get Master Balls, much easier and just as much of an exploit.

(ironically, shiny codes are quite complicated so this might still be viable for shinies regardless of cheat codes)
---
gbchaosmaster