This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Arcanine, Fire Pokemon, Pseudo-Legendaries...

#1Ultimate_Nova_XPosted 6/24/2008 11:38:07 PM
Is Arcanine a Pseudo-Legendary? If not, is he considered a Pseudo-Pseudo-Legendary (for a lack of a better term)? Is there a term for that? Also, what other Pokemon are considered the latter term mentioned above if that fan-base category even exists at all?

Since I'm raising a Charizard (of course), and a Growlithe/Arcanine, should I raise a Vulpix/Ninetales just for the heck of it?
#2Leonardo9889Posted 6/24/2008 11:43:53 PM
Arcanine is not Pseudo-Legendary. But it has the highest stats of all non Pseudo-Legends and Non-legends:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Arcanine_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pseudo-legendary
Check those links.
And is this in game? If it is, haven't you heard that everything works in game? If this is competitive, learn about EVs and Natures and then choose two out of this:
Charizard, Ninetails, Arcanine
Don't get all 3, as it puts your team at a disadvantage against Bulky Waters like Milotic and Swampert.
---
"Hell, I'm surprised that you didn't ask 'should I breathe?' Life really is the most complicated of all games" - gbchaosmaster
#3kirbymuncherPosted 6/25/2008 2:11:43 AM
Pseudo-legendary = very odd and pointless (IMO) term.
---
Ganon bounces all over the place spewing fireballs faster than an AOLer can spew internet acronyms. - GreenShyguy04
#4Leonardo9889Posted 6/25/2008 2:18:25 AM
True, 'pseudo' actually means 'artificial' or 'fake'. They could have called it Demi-Legendary.
---
"Hell, I'm surprised that you didn't ask 'should I breathe?' Life really is the most complicated of all games" - gbchaosmaster
#5kirbymuncherPosted 6/25/2008 4:56:40 AM
No, I mean having a special distinct class for a few pokemon that happen to have high stats. Just call them OU and forget about it.
---
Ganon bounces all over the place spewing fireballs faster than an AOLer can spew internet acronyms. - GreenShyguy04
#6Ultimate_Nova_X(Topic Creator)Posted 6/25/2008 5:25:05 PM
Arcanine is not Pseudo-Legendary. But it has the highest stats of all non Pseudo-Legends and Non-legends:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Arcanine_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pseudo-legendary
Check those links.

That's why I thought he's on par in the 1st place.

And is this in game? If it is, haven't you heard that everything works in game? If this is competitive, learn about EVs and Natures and then choose two out of this:
Charizard, Ninetails, Arcanine

I know everything works in-game, but I also know that some things work better than others. So I'll re-phrase my question, among these 3, which 2 are better? Charizard, Ninetales, Arcanine.

Don't get all 3, as it puts your team at a disadvantage against Bulky Waters like Milotic and Swampert.

I know.

True, 'pseudo' actually means 'artificial' or 'fake'. They could have called it Demi-Legendary.

I always thought pseudo means "one step behind" or something like that, now that I know, yeah, they should've given it a better term, something like "Pre-Legendary" also would've been fine (since they usually appear just before the Legendaries in the National Dex orders, not so much for Garchomp, but still).

No, I mean having a special distinct class for a few pokemon that happen to have high stats. Just call them OU and forget about it.

No, I, for one, actually appreciates this class, as it encourages people to use them.
#7gbchaosmasterPosted 6/25/2008 6:40:23 PM
I have no idea what universe you live in, but in our universe, there's no relation between the meaningless classification of legendary/pseudo/whatever and the usage of a pokemon, nor there needs to be as they're already used very often.
---
gbchaosmaster
#8Ultimate_Nova_X(Topic Creator)Posted 6/25/2008 9:35:40 PM
I have no idea what universe you live in, but in our universe, there's no relation between the meaningless classification of legendary/pseudo/whatever and the usage of a pokemon, nor there needs to be as they're already used very often.

I already know that for a fact, so? It also encourages people to use them regardless if they're OU already.
#9kirbymuncherPosted 6/26/2008 2:48:06 AM
So if I called Slaking a semi - demi - legendary because of his base stats, would more people use him?
---
#10Leonardo9889Posted 6/26/2008 2:58:35 AM
I already know that for a fact, so? It also encourages people to use them regardless if they're OU already.
That is not the reason. Competitive players are attracted towards Pseudo-Legends because of their good attack force and because of their abilities and movepool. Slaking stats are excellent, but its ability (Truant) makes people look down upon it. Heck, if you called Onix Mega-Legendary (or whatever), would you use it?

always thought pseudo means "one step behind" or something like that, now that I know, yeah, they should've given it a better term, something like "Pre-Legendary" also would've been fine (since they usually appear just before the Legendaries in the National Dex orders, not so much for Garchomp, but still).
Pre-Legendary wouldn't be a good term. Something like Demi- would be good as it can be apllicable to all of them. And really, there is no need for a term like this. Just call them 'Higher OU' and end it.
---