Is there a way to turn off the timer?

#1DihydrousoxidePosted 3/20/2008 12:41:29 AM
I just find it limiting when I want to take my time and enjoy the game. I know an hour and a half is a long time but I would like to have more time. I would have thought there would be a cheat that would allow this but alas.
---
He who knows nothing, doubts nothing. For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.
#2HuManBingPosted 3/20/2008 2:35:13 PM
What style game are you playing? Because the solo game doesn't even seem to have one. I've left the game running overnight and come back to it in the mornings.

If you're talking about the CtW scenarios, it's built in to each scenario. To undo it, load up the scenario and change the game options to no time limit then save as scenario. Does that work?
---
M. Bison wears a red cap, throws fireballs, does head stomps, and cape flicks. Clearly M stands for Mario.
#3Dihydrousoxide(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2008 8:39:55 PM
In CtW battles you have a certain period of time to attack a capital or fend off an invasion. It says the time you're allowed in the objectives.

I can't seem to find how to turn off the timer in the option menu. Is it in a patch that gives you that option?
---
He who knows nothing, doubts nothing. For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.
#4HuManBingPosted 3/21/2008 6:12:25 AM
Ah, okay. Here's what you do.

First, find out what the name of the scenario is. In-game, when you select the battle and it loads up, there should be a title that tells you what the name of the file they're loading is. (If it's a generic file, like "skirmish" or "airdrop" or something, then you have to look in a slightly different place than that.) For now we'll assume it's a scenario specific to the CTW. Let's take as an example the "DC2" scenario, which is the very last battle as the Soviets in the Cold War CTW. This is the battle where the USSR's forces march on the American capital and try to capture it.

So this scenario has a 90 minute time limit, and say you want to alter it so that the time limit is entirely absent.

Go to Tools & Options at the main screen. Then go to Scenario Editor. Then once the blank map loads, go to the Load button in the lower right hand corner. Browse through to where the scenario file is (in the case of DC2, it's in Thrones and Patriots/conquest/ColdWar/) and then select DC2.

This will load up the scenario. You can change lots of fun stuff, including the side you play as, so this could allow you to play as the Americans in a desperate last-ditch defense against the Soviets if you wanted to. However, you're looking to change the time limit. This is easily done.

Go to the "Scenario" button, and look over to the right. There is a dropdown menu called "Victory". Change that from Time to whatever you want. Personally, I'd change it to "Standard" and then eliminate the Territory and the Wonder victories.

Save this as a different file, say DC2altered, and then load it up and play.

Note that you may need to alter a few things in the script to have it all moving smoothly. For example, it probably won't take into account things like reinforcing armies unless you program those in yourself, and it also probably won't bar players from building Wonders, so you'd have to deactivate those manually. The CTW standard mechanic of activating Wonder powers at Civic 4 is also unlikely to trigger unless you specifically script it, too.
---
M. Bison wears a red cap, throws fireballs, does head stomps, and cape flicks. Clearly M stands for Mario.
#5Dihydrousoxide(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2008 2:11:38 PM
Oh I see, I understand now. Awesome, thank you very much for the explanation.
---