Game Modifications

#1tldpc26Posted 3/5/2009 8:56:20 PM
Hey, I've recently gone back to playing this game after a year or so absence and
have decided for the first time to change things up and make things interesting with
some game modifications. I have found that ronheaven website. I've tried to download
some modifications, but they don't appear in the game and I can't find directions on how to
do so. Is there a certain folder I need to put them in or a certain procedure to follow? If you know
how to properly install modifications, please help. Thanks.
#2HuManBingPosted 3/9/2009 9:21:36 AM
You are correct. You must install the mods to this folder:

...\Rise of Nations\mods\[mod name goes here]

Do not make the mods folder in the Thrones and Patriots directory. It wants to go into the Rise of Nations mod.
---
Once there was a Chinese dude who can toss a sewing needle through someone's skull. I believe the world exploded that day. ~ ILikeGames001
#3HuManBingPosted 3/10/2009 8:30:47 AM
To clarify, if you want to install a mod called WorldWar2, then you should put all the files into this folder:

Rise of Nations\mods\WorldWar2\
---
Once there was a Chinese dude who can toss a sewing needle through someone's skull. I believe the world exploded that day. ~ ILikeGames001
#4tldpc26(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2009 3:49:34 AM
Oh sorry. No, your original post made sense. I've just not had access to my
computer recently since something was not working. Thanks so much for the response
and information though. Can't wait to try it! Hopefully it works :)
#5HuManBingPosted 3/12/2009 8:08:06 AM
Excellent! :thumbsup:
---
enixine.livejournal.com
A blog about games, media, and food - the modern vices.
#6tldpc26(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2009 6:44:05 PM
Unfortunately, I am still having problems. I could not find a mod file amongst the RON files, so I created one and titled in "Mods". Is this correct? I then downloaded the modifications to that file, but when I load the game, I don't see the modifications. In the Quick Battle mode, in the area where you set up the conditions for gameplay (map size, map type, etc.) it won't let me select anything under the Games Modifications tab as if nothing is there. Am I doing something wrong?
#7HuManBingPosted 3/17/2009 9:31:18 AM
It sounds like you're doing it correctly. Yes, you do need to create the new folder "Mods" if it doesn't already exist.

Then, create another folder (inside mods) that's named your mod name (like "WW2mod").

Open that folder and put the mod files there.

Is that what you've been doing?
---
enixine.livejournal.com
#8HuManBingPosted 3/18/2009 6:47:31 AM
Oh, some types of files cannot be accessed by merely putting them into the "mods" section. The best examples of this include re-skinned units.

In most cases, if it's something that's so complex that it won't work in the mods folder, you must literally make changes to the root files in "data" or "art" (either in Rise of Nations\ or in the Thrones and Patriots\ folders).

BEFORE YOU DO THIS, MAKE SURE YOU BACK THOSE FILES UP. I usually like to make a new folder in the "data" or "art" directories called "Originals" and then just copy and paste the files there.

So, for example, if I have a re-skinned Shock Trooper (to look like a Chinese Communist soldier), I'll have to back up the "ShockTrooper.tga" file in "art", and then make changes to the working version.
---
enixine.livejournal.com
#9tldpc26(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2009 6:20:44 PM
Oh shoot. If that is the case, I may have to unfortunately give up because I have no idea how to do all of that.
I would probably screw the whole game up, haha. Oh well I guess. Thanks man for all of the help though. It was much appreciated.
#10HuManBingPosted 3/20/2009 11:33:34 AM
Don't worry, I can walk you through the process if you like. It's pretty simple as long as you follow the correct order of actions.

Let me know what mod you're trying to run and I'll take a look at it. I'll let you know the precise steps you should take to install it and make sure you don't overwrite the original game.
---
enixine.livejournal.com