Is it just me, or is there hardly any mention of the story in MP2?

#1SilentHawk29Posted 8/18/2012 5:04:28 PM
I'm currently on the second to last chapter right now, and aside from a couple mentions of not being able to protect multiple women, I haven't seen any mentions of what went down in Max Payne 2 (minus apartment vet). Everything is about his wife and kid that he lost with absolutely no mention of Mona.

Did I just forget something and need to replay MP2, or did anyone else feel this way?
---
PSN - Srikar
My car: http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6095/54gencoupe.jpg
#2CoontemptusPosted 8/18/2012 5:59:35 PM
What in MP2 was relevant to MP3?

Why WOULD they mention it?
---
I do not wish to have a signature.
#3SilentHawk29(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2012 6:20:48 PM
Why would they mention his family? Any conversation he has is about his dead wife and child. There's even the cemetery bit. Why was all of that necessary but nothing of anything else?
---
PSN - Srikar
#4CoontemptusPosted 8/18/2012 11:17:19 PM
If you played both games, that should be obvious really.

MP2's events didn't define his life.

But again, what in MP3 connected to MP2 at all? Not much really.

His life sucks because of what happens in MP1. He's suffering because of what happened in MP1. He drinks because of what happens in... I think you get the picture.

I'm not sure how else to explain it.
---
#5PSP_H0mebrewPosted 8/19/2012 7:31:29 AM
There is one references that shows that the whole Mona ordeal does bother Max, (the hotel commercial) but thats it.
---
Montreal Canadiens Fan Seeya Next year!
http://i.imgur.com/JGn2l.gif
#6SilentHawk29(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2012 8:54:24 AM
If you played both games, that should be obvious really.

MP2's events didn't define his life.

But again, what in MP3 connected to MP2 at all? Not much really.

His life sucks because of what happens in MP1. He's suffering because of what happened in MP1. He drinks because of what happens in... I think you get the picture.

I'm not sure how else to explain it.

Maybe you missed the part where he found solace in Mona. He spent the entirety of MP2 trying to move past his family and spend his time with her. You think her death wouldn't put a heavy toll on him?

Yeah, he started suffering and drinking because of his family, but they aren't the only reasons he continued to do so. Max Payne 3 seems to make it out that way. From my perspective it looks as if they wanted MP3 to be another segment of his life while MP1 and 2 were a continuation but they kept up bringing his family. They made it look like the events of MP2 never even happened.

There is one references that shows that the whole Mona ordeal does bother Max, (the hotel commercial) but thats it.

Must have missed that TV. :/
---
PSN - Srikar
#7TX 55Posted 8/19/2012 10:54:49 AM
While I was disappointed at the lack of references as well, I think it's because Max wants to forget about the events of 2. In the opening of chapter 8, Max regret getting into the whole Mona business. If you examine Winterson's tomb, he says it was between her (Winterson) or Mona, and that he made a "really bad call".
#8CoontemptusPosted 8/20/2012 7:16:00 PM
"Maybe you missed the part where he found solace in Mona. He spent the entirety of MP2 trying to move past his family and spend his time with her. You think her death wouldn't put a heavy toll on him?"

Unless I see some evidence to the contrary, she lived.
---
#9matthewhitekidPosted 8/21/2012 12:09:43 AM
There are a few if you know where to look for them. He mentions her in the grave yard directly, explaining her death basically as extra grief. He is already rock bottom by the time she shows up, it just hasn't hit him in full force yet. She's mentioned again in the commercial, and if you pay attention in his neighbour’s apartment (the one who causes a bit of an explosion), there are paper clippings on the wall that fill in some of the blanks about what happened to him after the second game.

The more I play this game the less literal I think some scenes are. I get the feeling the "tourists" are all in his head (especially the portly ex cop-- like an existential vision of what might have been). The ending line for instance "it is dark in some places but it is sunny everywhere else," would never be in a weather forecast. I also thought it was a nice touch that he didn't walk off into the sunset, he walked right passed it, like how he seems to hit everything sideways.
#10matthewhitekidPosted 8/21/2012 1:06:25 AM(edited)
*When you think about it, after the first chapter of the first game, the events take place rather quickly. If you pay attention at the beginning of the game, he replaces a vice with an addiction that has something like a seven year run, so it isn't very far fetched to say that she wouldn't be at the forefront of memories he's trying to drown out. They were "kindred spirits," but she doesn't really come close to comparing to a dead wife and infant.