how is this compared to max payne 1 and 2?

#1gn004_nadleehPosted 9/1/2012 4:25:36 PM
2 was my absolute favorite and one was great too of course, is this anything like them? im at the opening scene now and it doesnt feel like its gonna be as good
#2gn004_nadleeh(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2012 4:48:49 PM
nevermind... it sucks
#3CoontemptusPosted 9/5/2012 6:36:24 PM
Its better in pretty much every way, except MP1 had a story that worked a little better for the gameplay.
---
I do not wish to have a signature.
#4Redd_WhitePosted 9/6/2012 5:28:01 AM
Coontemptus posted...
Its better in pretty much every way, except MP1 had a story that worked a little better for the gameplay.

I happen to think the exact opposite for some reason. Max Payne 3 has the best graphics and some fantastic looking environments. Aside from that, it's extremely repetitive with little to no good level design ideas, the story is very slow moving and monotonous, the cutscenes are friggin everywhere and a good 80% of them are completely useless...it's much, much less unique than the first two games.
#5CoontemptusPosted 9/6/2012 5:03:51 PM
Combat is much more varied than the first two games, miles ahead of the first game in particular.

Levels are much more varied and interesting, too. You actually do different things, and I hate rail shooters in general.

The story is fine, some cutscenes are too long and being unskippable is unforgivable.

Still, a big improvement all the way around.
---
#6Redd_WhitePosted 9/9/2012 5:01:07 AM
Varied ? The first two games actually had some exploration, talking to people, the hallucinations, not to mention the unforgettable Address Unknown level in MP2. MP 3 has you shooting piles of ennemies nearly constantly. The lack of subtlety hurts, too, because instead of exploring around or progressing through some place and INCIDENTLY coming across some bad guys, in 3 the very premise of every chapter is "you vs an army".
#7CamusTCPosted 9/10/2012 10:19:50 AM
Redd_White posted...
Varied ? The first two games actually had some exploration, talking to people, the hallucinations, not to mention the unforgettable Address Unknown level in MP2. MP 3 has you shooting piles of ennemies nearly constantly. The lack of subtlety hurts, too, because instead of exploring around or progressing through some place and INCIDENTLY coming across some bad guys, in 3 the very premise of every chapter is "you vs an army".

Seemed to me like every level other than the dream sequences were "you vs an army" in MP1 and 2 as well.
#8Redd_WhitePosted 9/11/2012 9:30:43 AM
CamusTC posted...
Redd_White posted...

Seemed to me like every level other than the dream sequences were "you vs an army" in MP1 and 2 as well.

Sequences where you're not shooting anybody were a bit more prevalent in MP 1 and 2, but more important is the fact that shooting was most of the time a side effect of the story : quite a few times your goal was to investigate around, escape or reach some place, and had you coming across ISOLATED ennemies along the way. Chapters were you had basically hundreds of people popping out of thin air and constantly attacking you, making you feel like you were facing an unlimited army, were in the minority, generally at the end of the game. That ended up completely destroying what little atmosphere the game had to me in MP3 : there was barely any time when you could immerse yourself in the atmosphere of such or such place. It ended up making the game ubber repetitive, too, since during each chapter introduction I knew in advance that no matter what Max was doing, it would result in 200 villains spawning instantly. It's like Dan Houser lost a bet and had to make every single chapter that way for increasingly dumb reasons each time (hey, a high ranked member of the mafia is mistreating a lady in a bar, surely the safest way to defuse the situation is to shoot him in the face !).
#9CoontemptusPosted 9/11/2012 7:28:33 PM
Some levels in MP1/2 had you running from fire/explosions too.

Still, MP3 was much better in every way gameplay wise.
---
#10Redd_WhitePosted 9/14/2012 8:46:56 AM
Coontemptus posted...
Some levels in MP1/2 had you running from fire/explosions too.

Well, see ? Variety :)

Still, MP3 was much better in every way gameplay wise.

I dunno, I felt that they tried to hard to mix the cover system with run and gun gameplay, and ended up not doing either right. Some gameplay orientations are just diametratically opposed : what you add to one, you're necessarily taking out of the other.