Huge fan of the series, bought it on sale on steam

#1GoodOlJrPosted 11/25/2012 10:37:10 PM
-we "get" to use a cover system now, maps and levels are designed in a way that forces us to use it
-the action button is gone, no more environmental interaction
-no quick save and quick load
-rockstar is in love with themselves, they really think their custscenes have become the greatest thing in the world since GTA IV, which had horrible cutscenes
-remedy not developing really shows

It just seems like a lot of the vision and the thoughtfulness that was in the original games is gone. People will argue with me about things such as the quick save and the quick load being gone. Features like this that are missing are a symptom of the really poor level and gameplay design that's in this game. The levels are really short, so the developer is afraid quick save and quick load will make the game too easy. The Cover system is a change that is completely unwelcomed and unwarranted.

idk, I could go on and on.
#2ScoodleDaddlePosted 11/26/2012 1:30:15 AM
I loved the original games, AND I don't see the problem with taking cover. It makes sense.
#3CatalystGuitar18Posted 11/26/2012 3:03:56 AM(edited)
Yeah... uh, just get to Chapter 4 before you make those claims...

Then once you get to chapter 7, the game is a constant orgasm until the finish. This is my GOTY for sure, and I was a diehard Payne fan as I was growing up. This is the best Payne in my opinion; just give it a chance.

Also, I don't know what your beef is with the cutscenes. I don't want to rush to Rockstar's defense, but their storytelling is matched by few in the industry. The storytelling in MP3 is quite good if I may say so myself, especially around chapter 10 or so... I forget the exact one, but its in a hotel.
---
Come check out my music at www.last.fm/music/tyler+hellner
PSN ID: Senor_Rub_a_Dub
#4fi3rcedragonPosted 11/26/2012 8:24:47 AM(edited)
I personally think a cover system is a must in any third-person game these days.

I don't see how it's any less intuitive or worse than strafing in and out behind a corner.
---
hurghhhh
#5GoodOlJr(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 12:09:51 PM
fi3rcedragon posted...
I personally think a cover system is a must in any third-person game these days.

I don't see how it's any less intuitive or worse than strafing in and out behind a corner.

I feel like it allows for really lazy level design, and random placement of cover objects.

I'm going to beat the game no matter what. And try and find some value in it. No one else misses environmental interaction? Am I wrong in assuming lords and ladies isn't in this game.
#6GoodOlJr(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 1:31:55 PM
just got to chapter 4 I believe, and it is a little bit better
#7Gibberling007Posted 11/28/2012 7:51:43 PM
ITT TC whines about poor level and gameplay design, and then admits that he wasn't even on chapter 4 when he made this topic.

Nothing to see here folks.
---
'My chosen torture makes me stronger / in a life that craves the hunger. / A freedom and a quest for life / until the end of judgment night.' -Devils Never Cry
#8CYBORG112Posted 12/18/2012 8:46:48 PM(edited)
GoodOlJr posted...
-we "get" to use a cover system now, maps and levels are designed in a way that forces us to use it
-the action button is gone, no more environmental interaction
-no quick save and quick load
-rockstar is in love with themselves, they really think their custscenes have become the greatest thing in the world since GTA IV, which had horrible cutscenes
-remedy not developing really shows

It just seems like a lot of the vision and the thoughtfulness that was in the original games is gone. People will argue with me about things such as the quick save and the quick load being gone. Features like this that are missing are a symptom of the really poor level and gameplay design that's in this game. The levels are really short, so the developer is afraid quick save and quick load will make the game too easy. The Cover system is a change that is completely unwelcomed and unwarranted.

idk, I could go on and on.

1. I dont see anything wrong with the addition of a cover system, It is a welcome addition for me. But I really do not see how the levels are designed in a way that forces the player to use the cover system, I just dont see it. If you are careful enough you can indeed run and gun just like the first 2 games, but its just going to be more difficult because Rockstar went for a more realistic approach with the game so it only takes a couple bullets to take you out. The improved difficulty is another welcome thing for me as I like the challenge.

2.I didn't really care much for the environmental interaction in the first 2 games, they were not a big or vital part of them so seeing them gone had no negative effect on me. Opening cabinets, switching on tv's etc, not really a big deal to me really.

3. I myself love and miss quick saving but I also understand that some people hated it and prefer checkpoint systems. What Rockstar should have done in my opinion is add both options to choose from to make everyone happy. But its no big deal, the absence of the feature did not impact my gameplay experience a whole lot.

4. I thought the cutscenes were great actually (The ingame ones though, not the pre-rendered movies). They were so good that I took millions of screenshots everytime they played lol. But that's my opinion.

5. True Remedy did not develop this game, but Rockstar was actually helped by them ALOT, even the writer of the previous games Sam Lake had a lot to say in MP3's development. If you google it up you will see some interviews of Remedy where they say they have no issue with the direction Max Payne 3 is going in and that Rockstar consulted them in the development.
#9Zin_LGPosted 12/25/2012 9:50:41 AM
I bought Max Payne 3 a few days ago and I'm loving what I've played so far.

The cover system really hasn't change much for me since inbetween dives and slow motion I would stand behind objects in the first two games. Can't really comment on the level design as I haven't felt I've played enough of the game to comment on it.

The lack of quick and manual saves is a step back in my opinion and the unskippable cutscenes are terrible, even though the cutscenes themselves are really well done.
---
Backlog progress: PS3- 26/43, 360 - 4/8, PSP- 14/48, PC ??/??
Recent completes - Heavy Rain :DC, Bastion, L.A. Noire, Assassin's Creed 2, NIER, Dante's Inferno
#10SlashR4_OkhranaPosted 12/28/2012 1:01:29 AM
I personally quite like e game so far. On chapter 8 and I do not mind the scrapping off the quick save and load function as it adds a fair amount of challenge.

I do love the cutscenes although being able to skip them in a second play through would be bloody awesome.