When does this game start to get good?

#1PsythikPosted 11/25/2012 11:14:34 PM
It was an impulse buy thanks to the Steam sale and I'm regretting it already. Sure the story is decent but the actual gameplay is incredibly dull. I'm only up to Chapter 4 and I'm already bored. You can only cover and shoot so many times before you get sick of it. I did enough of that in the first two games.

Does anything fun ever get thrown into the mix or should I just restart on Easy and enjoy the rest of the story?
---
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#2GoodOlJrPosted 11/26/2012 1:26:15 AM
the story isn't very good lol
#3CatalystGuitar18Posted 11/26/2012 2:58:44 AM
The story is quite good in my opinion. As for when the game gets good... eh, generally when you press "New Game," but it really just gets better and better as it goes on. Key chapters that stood out to me were

4 - Nostalgia and grit. I'm a long time Payne-fan.
6 - Epic battles and sweet destruction

7 to the End : ****ing incredible. Just ****ing incredible. It just gets better and better and better.
---
Come check out my music at www.last.fm/music/tyler+hellner
PSN ID: Senor_Rub_a_Dub
#4CatalystGuitar18Posted 11/26/2012 3:00:43 AM
Psythik posted...
It was an impulse buy thanks to the Steam sale and I'm regretting it already. Sure the story is decent but the actual gameplay is incredibly dull. I'm only up to Chapter 4 and I'm already bored. You can only cover and shoot so many times before you get sick of it. I did enough of that in the first two games.

Does anything fun ever get thrown into the mix or should I just restart on Easy and enjoy the rest of the story?

Also, if you are sticking in cover and shooting, you are 1. doing it wrong and 2. the first two max payne games had no cover system, so I don't get what you're tired of...

The gameplay kicks ass dude, but that is just my opinion. Run and gun your ass off, then shootdodge into cover (gotta be precise), and then blindfire / headshot your way to a full meter, rinse, and repeat. There's a nice rhythm to it when you get it down.
---
Come check out my music at www.last.fm/music/tyler+hellner
PSN ID: Senor_Rub_a_Dub
#5Psythik(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 11:35:28 AM
Well when I try to get fancy I just get killed over and over again, so I have no choice but to play realistically. You die with about 2-3 bullets on hard while the enemies take a half dozen if you don't go for the head.

And what I meant is that I get tired of doing nothing but shooting the same generic enemies over and over again. I want something more.
---
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#6WarBeaglePosted 11/26/2012 12:30:47 PM
Psythik posted...
And what I meant is that I get tired of doing nothing but shooting the same generic enemies over and over again. I want something more.

This is precisely why, IMO, Max Payne 3 is not game of the year material or even 9/10 rating material. The game's production values are very high, but there is not variety of gameplay. The closest the game gets to breaking up the typical action is a rails-based shooting section. There's also the fact that this game tries too hard to be as much a movie as a game.

This is a decent game, but MP3 is one of the games I point to that clearly show how certain developers' always receive inflated reviews. This is an 8.5/10 max and is not worth a $60 retail price. That said, it's a great buy for $15 or $20.
---
"come on Max. Let's go before more of them show up" he started up the car and drove to Arizona.
#7GoodOlJrPosted 11/26/2012 2:31:49 PM
honestly, variety of gameplay should be valued as one of the LEAST important factors in reviewing a game. I think level design is one of the major problems in this game.

I don't want every game to be a watered down skyrim WRPG that tries to make everyone happy.
#8retroGRAD3Posted 11/26/2012 3:29:16 PM
Skyrim is one of the best games ever. I don't see how it's watered down either...they wanted to do something different from oblivion and morrowind. In the end, the experience is still incredibly deep and rewarding.
#9GoodOlJrPosted 11/26/2012 5:37:23 PM
personally, I just want to jump into a game and play right away. I don't need to be engulfed into some other world. The direction that gaming seems to be moving into is one where people want all these huge games, only larger studios seem to be able to pull this off. I think something that is sad about this is that the so called "middle class" of game producers and developers is dying out. If I don't want Bioware shovelling **** down my throat, it seems like the alternative is to waggle, swipe, and tap, or to play some sort of indie game.

I really respect games like street fighter that only try and do one thing, they have more of an identity. The first 2 max payne games could be described that way as well.
#10AthinielPosted 11/29/2012 11:18:10 AM
I wonder what people expected when they bought this game.

I expected a third person shooter, with bullet time (head shots galore), and a good story with sweet voice acting. I'm not disappointed.

However, I will say that I wouldn't have paid $60 for it. I wouldn't pay $60 for any 3rd person shooter, they are generally too short.