Akizuki on Expert?

#1Kemjo83Posted 4/19/2012 4:26:10 PM
Hey all,
I have started playing this again recently and I read through Liefpowers' FAQ. He mentioned that playing as the Akizuki might be all but impossible on Expert. Has anyone tried to play this Daimyo on expert yet? Without CC? With or without kessen?

Challenge accepted. After my current game with the Nanbu, I plan on starting a new game with the Akizuki on Expert, without CC, and with Kessen.

Would it be "cheap" or cheating to save the game during Midwinter and keep resetting until you get a decent generated daughter? Opinions?
#2Kemjo83(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2012 1:38:23 PM
Alright, So I have started Akizuki on Expert (1551 senario). I did get a random daughter my first New Year with 70LEA and 64POL. Not too bad, and not over powered. I will not continue to reset for more daughters on years to come. If I happen to get one, so be it but I am not actively seeking them.

I took over the feif below me in 1555 and was able to hire all of their good LEA generals. I am continually being attacked by the Ouchi, which is turning into a cash farm, since I keep killing the commander thus giving me all their rice. I am turing all the rice plundered this way and buying rifles. I was lucky enough to get a merchant come to me very soon after game started. Slow going since I am surrounded by very strong Daimyos.

I did find an old play file where I attempted this, but without kessen. I was a Unifier with ~30 feifs but I didnt want to continue due to having to conquer each fief individually. I might after this play through. /Shrug
#3BreachAndClearPosted 4/20/2012 6:22:16 PM
I'm not even sure where the Akizuki are located. Since you mentioned the Ouchi, I'm guessing they're over on Kyushu, but even after playing through this game 4 times, most of the minor clan names/generals are still all a blur to me.

I don't necessarily consider restarting for a better general cheating. It's no different than when I'm uncertain about a battle and revert back to a save if it goes poorly. I personally refuse to use created characters though, since if you're someone like the Utsunomiya that have only a few generals (and none of them good) then making a CC with excellent stats defeats the point of playing such a handicapped clan.

Also I find that what the came tells you the difficulty of a clan is in often incorrect. Nobunaga is listed as hard difficulty in the first scenario, but he's actually pretty easy since he starts off allied with Saito and has way better officers than the surrounding 1-territory clans like the Shiba, Nagao, and Tsutsui. I've also beaten the first scenario with the Ichijo, who have an absolutely terrible leader, but its really not that hard to make an alliance and unify Shikoku then expand into Honshu.

Yesterday I tried the Murakami (sp?) who are listed as normal difficulty, but since they are sandwiched in between the Takeda and Uesugi, they're actually pretty difficult IMO.

Just started a Tokugawa game today. It was pretty anti-climactic to take out Nobunaga first, after having to sit through his frequent story interruptions.
#4Overlord HikashPosted 4/21/2012 11:25:36 PM
Yesterday I tried the Murakami (sp?) who are listed as normal difficulty, but since they are sandwiched in between the Takeda and Uesugi, they're actually pretty difficult IMO.

Normal difficulty, my ass.
---
www.kingdomofloathing.com
www.twilightheroes.com
#5Kemjo83(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2012 11:08:54 AM
Overlord Hikash posted...

I may have to try them after my Akizuki game. I enjoy a challenge. Were you playing on Expert? What senerio?

BreachAndClear posted...
I'm not even sure where the Akizuki are located. Since you mentioned the Ouchi, I'm guessing they're over on Kyushu, but even after playing through this game 4 times, most of the minor clan names/generals are still all a blur to me.

The Akizuki are the small white clan beneth the Ouchi and above Otomo. If you go to Info and look at Daimyo's, they are the very last one in the fame.

I have taken over a few of Otomo's lands and the Aso (thier vassel state). I normally dont bother doing alliances, but I have one with the Shimazu so I can build rifles and stables.
#6Kemjo83(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2012 11:16:05 AM
Overlord Hikash posted...

Regardless of what difficutly you start the game with, if you choose a Daimyo with 1 fief then the game will tell you it is hard difficutly. If you have 2, it should be normal and 3+ is easy. That is not to say that it wont be difficult with 2+. I have had an Oda (hard) game where I took over 4 lands in the first 4 turns on expert. I dont find playing Oda as difficult at all even on "expert". But starting a "normal" game might be harder depending on surrounding fiefs.

I did take a look at Murakami and the surroundings. When you start the game, you are surrounded by Uesugi, Takada, and one other fief. Your relations with Uesugi and the other fief are "fine". You should be able to get an alliance with them rather easily. Dont forget, you can attack a fief that is not touching your borders if you have a joint and are attacking the lands touching your ally's border as long as you are only going through one territory. That might make your Murakami play a little easier. The fief directly west of Uesugi are not on good turms with each other, so it shouldn't take much to get an alliance and a joint to attack this fief with the Uesugi. (I think the name on the 1551 senario is Nagano and not Uesugi, but I could be wrong since I am currently at work)
#7BreachAndClearPosted 4/27/2012 11:38:25 AM
No, I haven't tried expert difficulty. Even on normal difficulty I've had issues in which I've lost battles that I had no excuse for losing, or barely won battles with unacceptable losses that should have been cake, all because the AI/pathfinding are absolutely terrible in this game.

E.G. i might be leading a smaller army against a larger enemy and charge the enemy general and get him surrounded and nearly have him beaten, all of a sudden one of my units decides to randomly move out of the way (without me telling him to do so) allowing the general to get out and make it to a fortress to heal.

Or I might send cavalry against a retreating infantry unit, and while the cavalry should have NO problem catching up to him, they keep randomly stopping and veering off in random directions. So while I should have been able to chase them down and kill them, they are able to retreat off the field or into a fortress because the computer takes the most idiotic paths possible.

In my most recent game I relied heavily on two field gun units headed by Akechi Mitsuhide and Hachisuka Masakatsu for dealing with the more advanced 4-shory castles, Himeji style castles, etc. And I was running into a repeated situation in which the cannons would automatically charge into the castle when it started raining.

90% of the time, the cannons just stop firing when it rains and wait for the weather to clear. But for some reason every now and again when it started raining they would completely abandon their position and move closer to the castle and if I wasn't paying attention, they could get destroying by the enemy and I'd end up losing 150,000+ gold worth of cannons.
#8BreachAndClearPosted 4/27/2012 12:03:08 PM
Rise to Power and Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII are the only Koei strategy games I have. Most of the other Nobunaga/ROTTK games I see on Amazon are ridiculously overpriced.

Overall I think ROTTK VIII is the better game, though the graphics make it look like it belongs on the SNES, and I'm just a bigger fan of the history surrounding the Sengoku era of Japan. But both games get certain things right and certain things wrong IMO. What N.A. does right I feel ROTTK VIII does wrong and vice versa, which is frustrating because I think they would have an excellent game if they just took what each game did well and combined them.

I think the Real Time Strategy element of Rise to Power doesn't work, and I think it would have been better to use a turn based combat system like earlier Nobunaga's Ambition titles and ROTTK.

I also dislike the tactics. None of them are especially useful aside from spy. When you send a ninja master to destroy a building, buildings don't get destroyed frequently enough to have a big enough impact on your enemy to really give you any kind of advantage. It's just easier to attack the fief and ransack the castle town. Also when you try to spread rumors to lower the loyalty of an enemy officer it's frustrating that you cannot select which enemy officer you want to target. Also, even if I constantly ensure that a Ninja Master is maintained in an enemy's fief to spread rumors, I've never seen the loyalty of the enemy officer fall below 95, since the daimyo can easily pay the money to restore his loyalty. It really only works on people like Hisahide Matsunaga, or if you are sending someone to try and convince a family member to defect.

I also haven't figured out how to level up skills. The in-game manual just says that you'll get experience the more you use an ability and that it will level after a while. But there have been games in which Nagahide Niwa participates in almost every one of my battles over the course of an entire game, using volley constantly, and it never levels up to Volley 2. Conversely, there have been instances in which I might arrange things so that one person captures all of the towers/castle, and in that cause his skill might level up, even if he never uses the skill in the battle.

E.G. I might have my army attacking a tower, but right before the tower falls I'll have everyone stop attacking that tower except Hideyoshi. I'll repeat this for all of the towers and the castle such that ONLY Hideyoshi captures everything, then after the battle Nobunaga will congratulate him and Hideyoshi will get Counter 2, despite never having used his abilities in the battle.

Also in ROTTK you can use skills in battle whenever you want. They just cost action points that replenish over time. If you use them too much you'll have to wait several turns to accumulate the points to do a skill again. Whereas in Rise to Power everything hinges on morale and capturing towers/fortresses, which creates a huge imbalance when the defenders of a castle start out with high morale (they really have no incentive to fight a field battle) while the attacker cannot use skills.

I was attacking the Imagawa's 1,000 man army with an army of 10,000 but the Hojo would send reinforcements of 5,000-6,000 to the Imagawa, all cavalry and all generals with war stats in the 85-100 range and with charge2-3. The reinforcements themselves were enough to decimate my army after repeated tries with my best generals (some of which were killed from this). The only way I was able to win was to challenge the Hojo to a Kessen, or to exploit the stupid AI of the computer by sieging the castle with field guns (since the computer never comes out of the castle to try and repel the cannons and instead just sit there allowing their castle to fall).
#9BreachAndClearPosted 4/27/2012 12:26:17 PM
Kemjo83 posted...
Regardless of what difficutly you start the game with, if you choose a Daimyo with 1 fief then the game will tell you it is hard difficutly. If you have 2, it should be normal and 3+ is easy. That is not to say that it wont be difficult with 2+. I have had an Oda (hard) game where I took over 4 lands in the first 4 turns on expert. I dont find playing Oda as difficult at all even on "expert". But starting a "normal" game might be harder depending on surrounding fiefs.

There are two exception to this as far as I am aware - the Soma and Jinbo. Both are listed as hard despite starting with two territories.

Kemjo83 posted...
I did take a look at Murakami and the surroundings. When you start the game, you are surrounded by Uesugi, Takada, and one other fief. Your relations with Uesugi and the other fief are "fine". You should be able to get an alliance with them rather easily. Dont forget, you can attack a fief that is not touching your borders if you have a joint and are attacking the lands touching your ally's border as long as you are only going through one territory. That might make your Murakami play a little easier. The fief directly west of Uesugi are not on good turms with each other, so it shouldn't take much to get an alliance and a joint to attack this fief with the Uesugi. (I think the name on the 1551 senario is Nagano and not Uesugi, but I could be wrong since I am currently at work)

I was unaware of that aspect of joint attacking. But I was unable to get an alliance with either the Uesugi, if I offered them money I just got the "I'm insulted you would think that's enough" response and my relationship with him deteriorated to poor after trying to ally with him. I don't remember the other clan's name to the east, but he was really my only option for expanding but he was able to get reinforcements from the Date.

I had played a game with the Kono on Shikoku (or maybe it was the Ichijo), but one of the two started out with good relationship with the Otomo and an alliance, but once the alliance period ends, I couldn't get him to agree to ally with me again, despite having good relations. I don't know if it's because I was too small to be a valuable ally or what. I was still able to win that game though. None of the Shikoku daimyo I've played are that difficult. There's the Kono, Ichijo, Chosokabe, Miyoshi, and Saionji. I've won with the Kono and Ichijo. The Miyoshi would definitely be the easiest, and I don't think the Chosokabe would be bad. But I don't know about the Saionji. There the only one that the Otomo can reach right at the start, and the have the least number of retainers of the Shikoku daimyo.