This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help making the PERFECT character

#1kaleban21Posted 4/8/2009 3:56:15 PM
Hi, I've lurked for a while now, and have just really gotten back into the KOTOR games with a vengeance. Not sure why, perhaps I'm getting old lol.

Anyways, I'm trying to make my ideal KOTOR 2 character. I've already beat the game once with a Sith Lord (the blonde chick in the dancer outfit for the title screen goodness lol) and once with a LS Guardian/WM.

While I'm not looking to create a DS Jedi, I want to roleplay a bit more, such as Hanharr's "redemption" if you can call it that, and taking dialog options which may jeopardize my party's ability to become jedis. I figure a battle hardened exile would be more grey-jedi anyways, since he's been to hell and back, and the close minded and dogmatic views of both extremes are anathema.

To that end, I'd like to build something with these points:

Consular -> Weaponmaster - rationale is that he's weak physically from the near death experiences and such prior to Peragus, and that with Kreia's help and the re-awakening of the Force he's focused mostly on that. Later on once he gets his lightsaber, his "true self" is revealed as a warrior without peer.

Hanharr - I want a Wookie! I like him better than Mira by far, and even though he may be best as a melee combatant, he works okay as a ranged fighter, and besides, Wookies need a bowcaster! The only problem is I plan on being more lightside than dark, over the course of the game, so my question is at what point does the game check to determine whether you get Hanharr or Mira? Is it when you first land on Nar Shadaa, or at a certain point along the quests there?

Combat style - Really unsure here, since I think single saber is better, given that every multiple saber user in the movies is pwned hardcore by the single saber users. Its 6 feats to max out two weapon, or 3 for dueling, and since a Consular doesn't get many feats, I figure Dueling is better. Besides, single saber looks more natural to me, including the animation set. Dual sabers looks clunky, and the double saber looks kind of rediculous most of the time. Plus, the idea of the lightsaber as a meditation tool seems to have been lost in the new trilogy and EU, and it would probably be difficult to focus with two lightsabers anyways, I'm aware I'd be sacrificing numbers, but since the AI is not that great, and I've beaten the game with a single saber Sith Lord, that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Skills/Attributes - This is what I'm really unsure of. I want to keep Persuade/Awareness/Repair high, but also Computer Use for T3. I don't need the Wisdom boost right away, so I'll probably take the Class Skill: Computers feat later on as a Weaponmaster. With the Consular's two skill points, I'd need a 14 in Intelligence to get 2 additional skill points to max out all 3, then save the fourth for when I get the feat. However, I've also read that there are several interactions within the game that require a 16 Intelligence, but I don't recall if that's natural "unmodified" or with gear and/or Force Valor bonuses?

Exploits - *SPOILERS*

Taking the Hsiss exploit as an example, I know you don't regen FP as a lightside Jedi while in the caves. Does gear with FP regen work (I never seem to have any when I'm there), or would you need to have Force Drain? Also, can a "Grey Jedi" regen FP, or ONLY at a certain DS level?

Not sure if this is an exploit, but once I acquire certain forms, I rarely use others. For example, Shien is better IMHO than Soresu, and Juyo I use much more often than Ataru. As a Consular/Weaponmaster, is there any way to get Juyo and Shien, while getting a force form instead of Ataru? I would assume that would require meeting (and either defeating or chatting) with one of the Jedi Masters while still a Consular, which would mean holding at level 15 most likely until thats done?

Thanks for any and all help ya'all!
#2JamesJimmothyPosted 4/8/2009 5:29:38 PM
Just a heads up, there's no such thing as the perfect character. Wipe your eyes, blow your nose, sorry. (partial spoilers in very last sentence, but it's pretty much expected)

so my question is at what point does the game check to determine whether you get Hanharr or Mira?
When you get the message from Visquis. Because then you can't leave Nar Shaddaa and there wouldn't be anything left to do there. When you walk onto the platforms, Mira meets you by the dooir, Hanharr meets you a little farther onwards.

Combat style
It's whatever you want because it depends on build, feats and what you do to the saber. Sometimes a single blade is better than 2 or double

Does gear with FP regen work (I never seem to have any when I'm there), or would you need to have Force Drain? Also, can a "Grey Jedi" regen FP, or ONLY at a certain DS level?
I think it's only DS and not with gear or GJ. Drain works, but if your not DS then it'll use more FP than regain.

About your forms, Juyo is learned by Kavar but I don't know about Shien or Ataru, I think Vrook may teach you Shien. I'm not sure of the forms really, never used them much except Makashi against Sion
#3Brother MaynardPosted 4/8/2009 10:21:42 PM
James, take it down a notch. TC may have said perfect in the title but in the 2nd paragraph of his post it says: Anyways, I'm trying to make my ideal KOTOR 2 character.

Now, about the grey Jedi aspect. . . don't forget about the 25% LS or DS for Visas and 75% for prestige. Granted, with the several infinite DSP/LSP cheats it shouldn't be an issue, but just something to consider.

However, I've also read that there are several interactions within the game that require a 16 Intelligence, but I don't recall if that's natural "unmodified" or with gear and/or Force Valor bonuses?

As far as I remember, the only thing that checks against "unmodified" stats is the constitution check for implants.

Taking the Hsiss exploit as an example, I know you don't regen FP as a lightside Jedi while in the caves. Does gear with FP regen work (I never seem to have any when I'm there), or would you need to have Force Drain? Also, can a "Grey Jedi" regen FP, or ONLY at a certain DS level?

IIRC, you have to be 50% LS or DS to enter the cave. . . but I could be wrong. As far as FP regen, you've got 2 options. Force Drain or Removing and Re-equipping +Wis eq.

Not sure if this is an exploit, but once I acquire certain forms, I rarely use others. For example, Shien is better IMHO than Soresu, and Juyo I use much more often than Ataru. As a Consular/Weaponmaster, is there any way to get Juyo and Shien, while getting a force form instead of Ataru? I would assume that would require meeting (and either defeating or chatting) with one of the Jedi Masters while still a Consular, which would mean holding at level 15 most likely until thats done?

Juyo + MPA + Master Speed = Highest damage output. Ask Drone and Onefaceinthesea, they did the math. I think until your A.E.D. = 84 Juyo > Shien, IIRC. As far as acquiring force forms/ saber forms, I don't know, but I think you're on the right track.

-Brother Maynard
#4JamesJimmothyPosted 4/9/2009 2:59:56 AM
oh, sorry thanks for correcting me May
#5dronemcPosted 4/9/2009 8:43:41 AM
You seem to have though a lot of this out already, so go through your post and add thoughts where I have them.

Consular -> Weaponmaster

You'll tear through the game with this combo more easily than any other except, possibly, Consular-Marauder. Even then, 99.9% of the battles in this game are so easy that you'd never even notice the difference in damage output between Marauder and Weapon Master.

Hanharr

I think that the game checks whether or not you're sufficiently DS to get Hanharr when you'd get him or Mira in the kath hound arena. However, it is entirely possible that it checks when you get the message from Visquis. I don't recall there being any LS/DS points available between the Visquis message and getting to Visquis in the JekJek Tar, so it may be a distinction without a difference.

If your character is wearing the DS underoos, then you'll get Hanharr; otherwise Mira.

Combat style

If you've been through the game a time or two before, you're not going to struggle regardless of your style choice. From a raw statistical standpoint, dual-wielding is king in this game and single saber gets the shaft. Once you hit Weapon Master, especially if you plan on doing the Hississ glitch, you'll have more than enough fests to max out Two-Weapon Fighting and Lightsaber Specialization/Mastery, along with taking Toughness, Class Skill:Computer Use, Dual Strike, and whatever else you want. Single saber, however, is more then sufficient to complete the game. Your character will just be a demigod instead of a full-on minor deity when you finish up.

Skills/Attributes

Persuade/Awareness/Repair are the three key for the exile, and Computer Use is required for fully fixing T3, but remember that skill boosting gear and the Valor line of powers can be used to artifically inflate your skill ratings for these tasks. If you start with an Int of 14 and the RIG is kind, you shouldn't need to spend more than 12-15 total points in any skill to make any in-game check, including the repair/computer use checks for T3.

Item creation is another story, skill rating-wise, but that's what Bao-Dur and T3 are for.

Hsiss exploit...does gear with FP regen work?

Force regen gear does work, but so god-awfully slowly that it's not worth it. You're not hurting for force powers in this game. Just take Force Drain and Master Force drain around level 14-15, and you're good to go. There are other infinite xp glitches, as well. I'm a fan of the Nar Shadda refugee sector glitch.

is there any way to get Juyo and Shien while getting a force form instead of Ataru?

You get the final 3 force forms in a specific order, one each from the Masters you kill/train with. The forms are keyed to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Master you meet, rather than being specifically keyed to an individual Master. Vrook, for example, will teach you Ataru if you finish Dantooine first but Juyo if you finish Dantooine last.

I don't remember the specific order, but if Ataru is first and you're still a Consular when you meet the first Jedi Master, then you should get a force form instead of a saber form.

You wouldn't need to hold at level 15 to do this. Simply avoid getting to 75% force alignment either way prior to level 15, which shouldn't be a problem if you're going Dark to get Hanharr and then pulling things back to the lightside. Or, in the alternative, if you have 75% mastery at level 15, just don't talk to Kriea until you get the form you want. It's the conversation with her that triggers the prestige class conversion, so avoidng the former will delay the latter.

---
I feel the end is near, my little Monday night whore.
My little Saturday night, became a Sunday remorse.
#6kaleban21(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2009 2:04:05 PM
Well thats weird.

I did Dantooine, and held off as a Consular to see what force form I would get. Instead of getting Force Potency, Vrook gave me Force Affinity?!

Odd.

Perhaps this should be moved to the PC version forum, cause that's the platform I'm on (oops).
#7JamesJimmothyPosted 4/12/2009 11:30:20 AM
All I know is that Master Kavar is the one who trains you in Juyo
#8dronemcPosted 4/12/2009 10:24:17 PM
^Not necessarily. The Master-taught forms are keyed to the order in which you resolve the masters' planetary situations, not to a specific Master. For my last three playthroughs, Vrook has taught me Juyo, typically (and oddly) slaying Suulru in the process.

---
I feel the end is near, my little Monday night whore.
My little Saturday night, became a Sunday remorse.
#9kaleban21(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2009 6:31:50 AM
Perhaps the Force Forms are keyed differently? As a Consular, Vrook taught Force Affinity, and Kai-Ell taught Force Potency.

I'll see what happens with the remaining two forms, I'm switching this character to Weaponmaster shortly, so hopefully I'll get Shien and Juyo.
#10kaleban21(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2009 9:28:07 AM
Yah no, looks like the Forms (Force and Lightsaber) are keyed to specific masters. Saving Vrook as a Consular gets Force Affinity or Ataru, regardless of whether he's the first or second master. Same with Zez Kai-Ell, its either Force Potency or Shien.

Too bad, cause it would be nice to be able to "customize" the forms you learn.