How's this play on PC?

#1Jack_KalPosted 1/30/2010 4:16:40 PM
So I absolutely loved playing Tomb Raider I and II on my Playstation.
I have really fond memories of playing the game. I can remember vividly being excited to get home after high school to get back to my game of Tomb Raider, to spelunk through the depths of some unknown cave, and to battle dinosaurs around every corner, all the while trying to figure out the next complex set of puzzles.

I haven't played a Tomb Raider game probably since Tomb Raider III (which I thought was a bit lackluster after following I and II). And I've never played one on the PC before. But the new(er) Tomb Raider games, both Legend and Anniversary, look like solidly designed games. And what's more, after a series of rather lackluster Tomb Raider games (which caused me to avoid the franchise for years), it looks like Legend and Anniversary actually bring back that fun, adventurous atmosphere of the early Tomb Raider games.

I currently do not own a console system (except for my dusty and pretty much never used PS2), so I do most of my gaming on PC the last several years. I've never played a Tomb Raider game on PC before. I only ever played them on Playstation with the classic (and nigh-perfect) Playstation controller. How does Tomb Raider play on a PC with a mouse and keyboard? I can't seem to imagine how it would play out with those as your main control peripherals. Is it doable and still fun? Or does the game suck unless I go out and buy a controller? Someone let me know. Thanks.
#2JoveHackPosted 1/30/2010 11:53:03 PM
Jack_Kal posted at 1/30/2010 5:17 PM "I haven't played a Tomb Raider game probably since Tomb Raider III (which I thought was a bit lackluster after following I and II). And I've never played one on the PC before. But the new(er) Tomb Raider games, both Legend and Anniversary, look like solidly designed games. And what's more, after a series of rather lackluster Tomb Raider games (which caused me to avoid the franchise for years), it looks like Legend and Anniversary actually bring back that fun, adventurous atmosphere of the early Tomb Raider games."

Well, I don't think the puzzles are as complex in Tomb Raider: Legend. As a reboot/re-introduction of the series the game is a bit easy to give a break to new fans of the game. Being as I am one of those new fans I appreciate this. There are still some tough areas, particularly the motorcycle sections. Tomb Raider: Anniversary will give you all the challenge you could want.

I played TRL on the PS2, which I highly recommend. A used copy is cheap and the Dual-Shock 2 controller works great with the game. The game supports widescreen and progressive scan, which can look great on a widescreen and/or HDTV. There are some places where I get serious vertigo.

The PC version looks even better with (I believe) more detail, albeit with no widescreen support. A gamepad controller is highly recommended for for ease and flow of control.

It's one of the best modeled games out there, and considered the best-looking of the three recent Tomb Raider games. I'm still noticing new details after many, many playthroughs.

For the other two games, Tomb Raider: Anniversary is probably best played on the PC. Tomb Raider: Underworld is infinitely better on the PC, if your system can handle the load.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved. Primal Wiki: http://primal.wikia.com
#3citronvandPosted 2/2/2010 9:12:43 AM
I would say that legend is a bit of different than Anniversary in that there are quite a lot of shooting scenes. Still a good game though but it isn't as much puzzle oriented as Anniversary and you're not always in tombs either. It DO have widescreen support, it is an option under "display" (possible a patch fixed it, I'm using v1.2) and you can also enable "next generation graphics" if you got it for the PC which beefs up the graphics (I think the 360 has this as well, but I doubt it can manage it properly). Personally I like the older graphic but I guess it is subjective. I suggest you get it for the PC and use a gamepad, 360 Gamepad works great for this, Anniversary and Underworld, you don't have to config it at all, just select gamepad in options and it works like a charm. I suggest you get it for the computer because you can always get a faster computer which is not the case in consoles, this means of course you can get a perfect 60 fps game with top graphics including high resolution (I'm using 1920x1200) which is not possible in the console version. Some people don't mind having less than 60 fps and maybe you don't care either but I am one of those that have to have constant 60 fps.

But if you do get it for the PC you must have a good gamepad, I'm sure other gamepads work great if you don't want to give $$$ to satansoft but usually the console gamepads (360, PS3) are superior (they can be used on a PC with proper equipment).

I think the prices for the tomb raider games are quite good atm, got anniversary, legend and underworld for about 30$ including shipment costs. I'm sure you can get it cheaper if you just search though. For that price it's hard not to recommend it for a old Tomb Raider player (I myself only played the original and I'm enjoying these 3 games).
#4SebAlex81Posted 2/9/2010 4:00:42 AM
I didn't play with a game controller, but playing with mouse and keyboard was never difficult to me. You control the camera with the mouse so you always look at whatever you want. Everybody in the forums complain about the camera problems, but in Legend and Anniversary I did not have any problems, cause I was always moving the camera as I wanted so I don't have any ideea which was the default one. Granted, in Underworld, the camera goes and does what it wants a lot in the game, but with a little patience you can pass that.
In terms of graphics, PC can be way better than a PS2. Of course, it depends on your system.
PS. Underworld is a continuation of Legend so don't play it before. Anniversary is not related to them, but also Legend is easier to get used to than Anniversary.