How can a wolf who has no expression still tug at my heartstrings?

#1TarentulaPosted 9/2/2012 9:38:42 AM
The whole final battle sequence was so emotionally charged. I mean I know she's a Goddess and all but I just saw a brave wolf fighting for us all.

And it's not just during the last battle it's throughout the whole game. They're not even using voice acting, they just use differently pitched gibberish and they still manage to be more memorable than most popular games like Zelda or Final Fantasy(which should finally end imo).

They did an amazing job working on Okami. An adventure that I personally will never forget.
#2TGSnowwyPosted 9/2/2012 10:04:44 AM
Have you ever heard that if you lose one of your senses, your other senses improve to compensate? (I suspect that's a matter of making more use of the other senses than of the other senses literally improving.)

It has also been said that the US spent millions of dollars to develop a pen that could write in space, while the Soviets simply used pencils.

Books are often able to convey more with words alone than movies with visuals, voice acting, and music (at least in regards to unspoken thoughts and motivations).

The point is, sometimes you make better use of what you have when you have less to work with. You mentioned Final Fantasy. I'm not a fan of that series, but I still remember the tragic sadness of FF3/6's intro and the opera house scene. Just 16 bit graphics and some music in a weak recording format (MIDI?) in a series I didn't like, yet it was still very poignant and touching. I could also point to Chrono Trigger, Suikoden 1&2, and Rhapsody as old games that still tug my heartstrings.

Outside of the forced mini-games and the time travel mess, Okami really was a masterpiece.
#3dctalk207Posted 9/12/2012 7:26:51 PM
Something about the gibberish language made it more romantic I think. I loved talking to Camille (?), the two sisters, and hear her say, "Koko-ko-ni-lo-to-o-o". I think with a lot of things in the world people think more = better, more meaningful, more developed. But this game did it right, there's truly more meaning when there's more space.
#4JoveHackPosted 9/13/2012 10:21:22 AM
It goes back to the basics of film-making.

"Show. Don't tell."

Whatever Okami's task, she just attempts it with a clear heart. Starting as a wolf with no powers, up to the final confrontation she goes about her business as if she can accomplish whatever needs to be done, however long it takes or how difficult it is.

That builds up respect and concern to a great degree, unnoticed until the final drop overspills the cup.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
http://primal.wikia.com
#5VividAxisPosted 9/17/2012 1:39:57 PM
The soundtrack helped a lot too. Mika Matsuura's piano arrangements are very touching.
#6alaskanfisherPosted 9/25/2012 2:49:06 PM
VividAxis posted...
The soundtrack helped a lot too. Mika Matsuura's piano arrangements are very touching.

Second'd
---
Nothing here. Go on, shoo.
#7Tarentula(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2012 7:31:31 PM
Yes the music was amazing. They made it just for the game but it's among the best music I've ever heard. Okami, Tales of Symphonia and Golden Sun.

You don't hear good music in games that often. But it really makes a big difference. Wouldn't it be great to work together with those people in the creation of music? I wish I could meet with them.
#8VividAxisPosted 9/30/2012 2:47:38 PM
Are you a musician also? I can't imagine working with artists who are that good.

The most recent game I played that had great music was Fez. In particular there was one place in that game where the music and what you saw on the screen were in sync. It's difficult to explain, but a memorable event when you stumble upon it.
#9Tarentula(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 5:51:45 AM
I play the guitar a lot but I'm not a musician...more a bedroom guitarist. But I do use a lot of music from games and play over it. That's why I think it would be an amazing experience to work with these people. Although they're way out of my league.

I've heard about that game and seen a few videos, it looks like fun and I did notice the music in there. Haven't played it myself though. Maybe I will.
#10VividAxisPosted 10/4/2012 7:05:27 AM
We're in the same boat. I've taken lessons for guitar, drums, piano and violin.. but I'm nowhere near a professional level. I think being around a genius would make me want to hide. Or I would sit there in silence with wide eyes and a huge grin on my face.

Fez shouldn't be missed. It's a very inexpensive game and some of the puzzles will make you think for several days before you solve them. It even has it's own alphabet and number system you have to decode. I can't say enough good about it. It's a gem of a game.

If you get it I would highly suggest going to a fireworks store and buying some red-blue 3D glasses. The game has 3 playthroughs. On the second you get the ability to fly and you can toggle to a 1st person perspective to look around and find clues you couldn't see the first time. On the third playthrough you can toggle 3D mode and it's really neat to see.