The game crashes before I even get tho the main menu.

#1RedMage13 No2Posted 5/22/2008 9:06:50 PM
I've a computer which surpasses the recommended stats, but whenever I try to boot the game, after the loading screen with the Sith guys, the cursor shows up, and I get the "...Has encountered a problem and needs to close" dialog box. Anyone know how to fix this? :/

---
Jergen's now has 5% more aloe. It's evolotion in action.-MadClock
Wait, if people came from clay, why is there still clay? -AngusYoung93 (_ )(_ )(_ )
#2AnUndesirablePosted 5/23/2008 12:58:29 AM
Are you using vista?

---
"Of the demonstrably wise there are but two: those who commit suicide, and those who keep their reasoning faculties atrophied by drink." ~Mark Twain
#3philby00Posted 5/23/2008 5:27:25 AM
there could be a lot of reasons why this happens ;)
but there is hope! try the lucasarts technical support forum:
http://forums.lucasarts.com/forum.jspa?forumID=50

i had a bad issue with sound and crashes and got help from there. you will need to provide more details about your pc and what happens when it crashes though.

for a start though before you run the game, go to the configure part and fiddle around with lowering detail or disabling sound altogether and see if you get anywhere :)
#4RedMage13 No2(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2008 5:59:09 AM
Nope, I'm running on XP. I seem to remember that the last time I played it (I uninstalled it because my onboard video was taking too much RAM up), I had to add a line to a config file. Disabling smoke effects or something.

I'll try lowering everything from the launch menu.

---
Wait, if people came from clay, why is there still clay? -AngusYoung93 (_ )(_ )(_ )
#5RedMage13 No2(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2008 6:00:48 AM
Disabled sound and such, and it still crashed.

---
#6cogadhPosted 5/23/2008 7:10:18 AM

You said you surpass the minimum requirements, yet you also mention you have onboard video. There are very few onboard video cards that are actually capable of playing this game at all and almost none of them that actually surpass the game's requirements (they only just barely meet the requirements). What do you have for a video card/chipset?

The file edit you are probably thinking of is adding "Disable Veterx Buffer Objects=1" to the [Graphics Options] section of the swkotor2.ini file.

#7RedMage13 No2(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2008 9:46:34 AM
Sorry, that post was worded badly. I had onboard video the last time I tried. It would run, but so slowly that it was unplayable. I recently got a new card. An Nvidia QuadroFx 1300, specifically.

I'll try the edit now. :D

---
#8RedMage13 No2(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2008 9:52:59 AM
Same thing happens still.

Is there a log file for KotOR that would have some indication of why it's crashing?

---
#9cogadhPosted 5/23/2008 10:19:59 AM

I don't think that KotOR itself produces a log file, but Windows Event Viewer might shed some light on the problem. Right-click on "My Computer" and select "Manage" to access it.

I'm not too familiar with Nvidia's workstation products, but I'm pretty sure they aren't really designed to be used for gaming, they are more for profession 3D applications, like CAD software and the like.

#10RedMage13 No2(Topic Creator)Posted 5/26/2008 10:25:11 AM
None of the Management log files has anything from the KotOR crash, but at least now, the game doesn't instantly crash. Now, it plays the music, but doesn't load the menu. :/

---
More topics from this board...
Is this board dead?Bueller117612/12 11:39AM