- Keeps Crashing After Character Creation...

#1ScoobySnackPosted 10/20/2010 10:39:02 AM
And I'm not running this on Win7 or Vista, I'm using XP SP3..

When I start the game, It goes through character creation, then opening credits and crashes right after the ebon hawk goes through asteroid field (cutscene)... It's just a blank screen and I can still hear the sound effects in the background.

My computer already passed the scanned requirements as well.

Any recommendations please? I can't seem to get out of this.
---
"Kirumessenja, Kaosu Riron.."
Kill The Messenger, Chaos Theory
#2cogadhPosted 10/20/2010 3:24:49 PM
Actually, that particular crash is usually a pretty good indication that your video card does not meet the game's minimum requirements. What are your hardware specs?
#3ScoobySnack(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2010 3:54:51 PM
Here's a run-down. Sorry for the extra information if it's useless.

OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 Genuine Intel ~2590 Mhz
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.60GHz
Total Physical Memory: 256.00 MB
Available Physical Memory: 58.69 MB
Total Virtual Memory: 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 1.96 GB
Adaptor Type: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
Chip Type: Intel(R) 82845G Graphics Controller
DAC: Internal
Memory Size: 64MB

I don't know how compatible it is - but it's weird, especially seeing as how I can run KOTOR, and even better games than KOTOR2 with the current requirements I have. Not only that, but I would assume there'd be atleast a glitch or some technicalities during the opening and/or character creation modw, as well as the first movie cutscene if such was the case.

And I've also noticed others with the same graphics card or somewhat equivalent as mine that's gotten pass the incident I'm currently stuck in, but all the suggestions I've heard so far doesn't seem to work =/
---
#4ScoobySnack(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2010 2:13:21 PM
Ugh, so I decided to abort it until I got a better graphics card for my PC, and decided to try and run it on the laptop instead (windows 7).. And now I have a new problem..!

I'll try to explain detail-by-detail...

The game can't even get past the installation process. After inserting CD2, it'll freeze at the part where it says C:\...\LucasArts\SWKoToR2\Movies\Ondscn01.blk.. it stays at that silver progress-installation area and won't install an inch.

So I decided to shut it down since it obvious won't get anywhere.. and yet it was shown under my add/remove programs even though I couldn't fully install it. So when I tried to un-install it and got an error message saying...

Error Code: -5006 : 0x80070001
Error Information:
>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1356)
PAPP:Star WarsŪ Knights of the Old RepublicŪ II: The Sith Lords(TM)
PVENDOR:LucasArts (http://www.lucasarts.com)
PGUID:629F65FB-7F3C-4D66-A1C0-20722744B7B6
$10.0.0.159
@Windows Service Pack 1 (6001) IE 7.0.6001.18294

So I had to use an uninstaller program since the add/remove program wouldn't work.. and after clearing and cleaning the registry, I decided to try and install it again, and it STILL freezes right at that same installation part, so I'll obviously have to use the force uninstall again.

I will post the hardware specs for the laptop in a few moments... But this game is giving me a LOT of trouble just to get it working. I hope the reward is worth it if I ever do manage to get it working.
---
#5ScoobySnack(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2010 2:21:24 PM
Here's the specs for the laptop..

Windows 7 Home Preminum 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) M120, 2.1GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200
ATI Display adapter (0x9712)
---
#6khunkiPosted 10/21/2010 6:25:48 PM
Happened to me too. I just updated the game from the lucasarts website.
#7ScoobySnack(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2010 7:02:24 AM
^ I've tried that. I updated it, and even replaced a mss.dll file, used a patch, used a different crack just in case, every suggestions that I've came across - and it still keeps going into a blank screen after the opening crawl and first cutscene...

And for the laptop - I can't even get pass the installation phase to even determine if it'll work or not. What a headache =/.
---
#8cogadhPosted 10/30/2010 9:54:57 PM

Give up on the XP machine, it is below the game's minimum specs. You need at least an Intel 965 to meet the full graphics requirements, an 845 just isn't going to cut it. Add to that the fact that the Celeron processor is not technically a Pentium equivalent and that you only seem to have around 60 MB of available RAM (you might want to look into that) and even if you could get the game to run, it would run horribly.

As for the Win 7 machine, it sounds like you are running into a common problem with the game disks. There is something about the cd case that causes a circular scratch to form on the outside edge of the disk over time, which interferes with the installation process. You can usually get around it by copying the contents of the disk to a directory on your hard drive, then pointing the installer at that directory when it asks for the second disk.

#9ScoobySnack(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2010 11:03:43 PM
Thanks. I did give up on the XP version and only use that for KOTOR1...

But for the Win7, yeah I tried that method as well - and it still gets stuck at the same part. It'll install, then I'll insert CD2, then some of the contents will install, but afterwards it will always get stuck at that one single part "Ondrscne" I believe. I ended up extracting the contents and it still does the same thing. Hopefully I'll figure a way out of it.
---