Dragon Age: Origins vs The Witcher.

#1SaurosyPosted 2/17/2009 1:05:47 PM
Your thoughts ? Will DA:O counqare Withcers success ?
#2SeraphLancePosted 2/17/2009 2:54:11 PM
Hopefully. I actually just bought the game yesterday, and I'm... less than impressed. Combat is horrible. Characterization is okay, but the crappy music doesn't really help the immersion any. I guess I'd call it "average", not so much bad. I'm in chapter 1 (I think) at the moment, at one of those great "solve quests for persons x, y, z to advance the plot" crossroads. I hate those damn things.

Regarding Dragon Age, I'm sure the characters will par The Witcher or better, and the music, from what we've seen, should blow it away. I'm just hoping BioWare hasn't gotten rusty on it's old-school combat.

Interestingly enough, from what little I know of the overall stories of the 2 games, DA and TW seem remarkably similar. The MC and mentor (grayblades? something like that) are actually fairly similar in concept to Witchers).

---
"If attacked . . . ., always find or manufacture enough threat against them to cause them to sue for peace."
- L. Ron Hubbard
#3Neo_SarevokPosted 2/17/2009 7:34:48 PM

Obviously since Dragon Age isn't out yet, we can only speculate, but as for the Witcher, I personally think it's a great game. I'm playing it right now, so it's still fresh in my mind. I'm on chapter 3 and while the story pacing is very slow and walking from quests to quests takes forever (oh how I wish there was fast travel, ie. Oblivion) the pacing is nothing compared to oldschool RPG's I've played, like Ultima.

I think the combat is pretty cool actually - a lot better than most RPG's. Ever played Gothic? ::Shutters:: The combat in Witcher at least encourages reflexes with timed button presses and the combat animation is really awesome The level up system also gives you a sensation you're becoming a lot stronger than most titles The order in which skills you attain first lets you slightly dictate what type of character you want to be, which isn't too bad considering it's a one party member game.

I think the Witcher is meant to appeal to diehard RPG fans who grew up with titles, like Ultima, and are now mature enough to take in a more adult-oriented experience not just with nudity, but with violent themes.

Still though, I think Dragon Age will be better. I was a fan of Baldur's Gate tactical combat. I think it's the first game I can say I loved dying - having to retool my game plan to fight dragons, loading up spell triggered magic missiles, and just all the game planning needed made it fun. The Witcher, on the other hand, is too easy. Once you master all the fighting poses and controls, it's a cake walk.

#4MilotPosted 2/17/2009 9:21:43 PM
Eh? Crappy music in The Witcher?!
#5thusahaPosted 2/18/2009 4:11:34 AM
I think DA is gonna be better than The Witcher.
#6DionysusPosted 2/18/2009 8:59:50 AM
"Hopefully. I actually just bought the game yesterday, and I'm... less than impressed. Combat is horrible. Characterization is okay, but the crappy music doesn't really help the immersion any. I guess I'd call it "average", not so much bad. I'm in chapter 1 (I think) at the moment, at one of those great "solve quests for persons x, y, z to advance the plot" crossroads. I hate those damn things."

The game is frequently annoying (your next terrible plot device will be a collectathon involving magic stones), but the beginning is the worst part. After a while, the character building became a little more interesting, and the obsession with moral ambiguity was downright hilarious at times. I think it was worth playing through once, but I wouldn't pick it up again.

Anyway, I think Dragon Age will probably be more to my liking than the Witcher. The combat will be party-based, so it should be more tactical. There are different character classes, so you won't be stuck playing as a monster hunter. Overall I suspect more freedom out of Dragon Age, but less of the Wtcher's style of in-game consequences.
#7MilotPosted 2/18/2009 9:13:58 AM
So it's gonna be a generic fantasy rpg with not difference whatsover with any other games on the market except the first 1-2 hours about the origin. Sounds promising.
#8DionysusPosted 2/18/2009 9:34:43 AM
"So it's gonna be a generic fantasy rpg with not difference whatsover with any other games on the market except the first 1-2 hours about the origin. Sounds promising. "

What market are you talking about? I don't even know of any other RPGs like DA that are coming out in the near future. We've got Alpha Protocol from Obsidian, which will be quite different. There are some indie projects like Age of Decadence that might come out. There is no deluge of party-based WRPGs, fantasy or otherwise.
#9SeraphLancePosted 2/18/2009 10:17:28 AM
and the obsession with moral ambiguity was downright hilarious at times.

Yeah. At the end of that plot arc, they literally referenced the "C&C" from the prologue in the dialogue. I damn near keeled over laughing. All in all, that plot arc ended on a relatively interesting note, so my opinion of it has gone up again (though it's starting to droop in Chapter 2 >.<). Not sure why people are so crazy about it though.

So it's gonna be a generic fantasy rpg with not difference whatsover with any other games on the market except the first 1-2 hours about the origin. Sounds promising.

...huh? Where'd you pull that inferrence from? I don't even know who you're responding to.

---
"If attacked . . . ., always find or manufacture enough threat against them to cause them to sue for peace."
- L. Ron Hubbard
#10some09guy IIPosted 2/18/2009 12:36:31 PM
Best to put Milot in your ignore list. This isn't the last of the trolling you'll see from him.