Unlockable classes, skills, etc... *spoilers naturally*

#1Lord BladePosted 10/6/2009 7:30:40 AM
Okay, so I recall hearing about some classes and such being unlockable. You have to earn them as you play through the game.
After which, on a new game, you'll be able to select them from the start.

Do we have a list of all of these? Of just which ones you'll have to start a new game to be able to fully make use of?

For my "main" character, I plan on basically being a Warrior.
I don't fully understand the advanced class thing though. Do you get any advantage from staying pure Warrior? Or are you handicapping yourself by not picking up advanced classes when available?
Can you take them, and simply not put points into the skills they give you access to?
---
You can't spell "ignorance" without IGN.
#2KonagePosted 10/6/2009 9:19:02 AM
From what I understand, you pick at the start one of three classes: Warrior, Rogue, or Mage. Then, as you level up, you can spend talent points in a talent tree type deal branching out of your class, called specialization classes or something. It's all right here: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Specializations
---
"Heh, the red carpet has teeth."-Auron of FFX
#3some09guy IIPosted 10/6/2009 9:26:04 AM
As you play through the game you may unlock a branch of talents called specializations. If you don't take one then yes you are gimping your character as taking one does not take up any talent or skill points but instead a separate specialization point. Taking a specialization also gives you a small boost in a couple small things such as an attribute plus health, stamina, crit chance and the like. From there it's up to you whether or not you want to spend any talent points on the branch which becomes available.
#4Lord Blade(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2009 10:27:19 AM
Okay, well the specializations are good then, if they don't force you to spend points away from your focus.

Are there any classes that are better are just pure melee than the Warrior?
---
#5some09guy IIPosted 10/6/2009 11:13:27 AM
It all depends on your build and what you're looking for. Classes can branch pretty widely in this game.
#6Village IdiotPosted 10/6/2009 4:14:01 PM
Example, for the Rogue, you can choose to put skill points to turn him into either an Archer, Melee DPS, Assassin or a combination of those classes.

---
Actually, since Wedge Antilles > Carriers, and Carriers = Instant win, then it should be Wedge Antilles > Instant win. He's just that good XD -PsionicDude
#7Lord Blade(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2009 8:43:59 PM
Well, I'm going to look for the simple build.
Warrior, with as many passive abilities as possible.

I hate having to sit there using various abilities to do well in combat. Bashes, stuns, power swings, etc...
I want to be able to walk in, choose attack, and sit back until the enemy drops.
---
#8Ninja_GaignunPosted 10/6/2009 9:27:34 PM
Well as many of the reviews have stated that the combat is pretty difficult, and as it is a tacticle system, you wont be doing any sitting back, unless your looking at the "Game Over" screen.
---
"nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you're a hit man or a video gamer" - Jack Thompson
#9Witch ElfPosted 10/6/2009 10:50:18 PM
Character creation starts with race. Human (+1 to all stats), Elf (+2 to the magic stats), and Dwarf (10% chance of resisting magic as well as some stat boni).

The three classes to choose are Warrior, Rogue, and Mage. Dwarves cannot be mages. The Mage is the only class-specific Origin story, as well.

Every seven levels (7, 14, possibly 21) you receive a specialization point. This allows you to specialize is a class you have unlocked--such as Templar for Warrior, Spirit Healer for Mage, or Assassin for Rogue. In order to unlock these classes, you must acquire a tome. It will be likely that you will have to wait some time before unlocking your preferred class. The good news is that unlocked specializations are available on subsequent playthroughts.

Once you specialize, you receive a stat bonus based on the specialization and you have access to the extra skill branch (four skills) associated with the class. You do not have to take these skills (though they seem ridiculously powerful--the last Templar skill basically shuts down any caster with the push of a button).

---
I wish for this night-time to last for a life-time
#10some09guy IIPosted 10/7/2009 5:36:16 AM
Lord Blade
Posted 10/6/2009 9:43:59 PM
message detail Well, I'm going to look for the simple build.
Warrior, with as many passive abilities as possible.

Hmm. Well a warrior using two weapons I think has the most passive abilities, but it's a difficult build to make since warriors are strength based and two weapon style is dexterity based so you'll be doing a lot of micromanaging upon level ups.

If you're willing just to activate an ability or two - quick buffs before a fight - instead then you could go for either of the other two melee styles. Both have a few buffs which will last you the fight at the cost of your total stamina. Sword and shield style will make you a brick wall against most anything while two handers are all about massive all at once - good for armor penetration with a couple of abilities to keep you fighting and help your party's overall damage per second.

Dual wielding is pure DPS, especially if you manage to even out your strength and dexterity somehow. Moves to keep you hitting fast and often with bleeding damage just for good measure. Very little crowd control ability, though.