Best Tank specialization and stat build priority?

#1BlackmonPosted 11/17/2009 7:52:58 AM
Hello Everyone,

I've searched the whole board and I have been getting some random results. I plan on going Champion/Templar but I'm hearing that Champion/Reaver/Berserker are better? I want to be the best tank and I'm wondering for those who played tank which is a better combo in the long run.

Also, when it comes to statpoints, which stats should I concentrate first? I know Strength is the highest priority and either Dex for the shield skills and accuracy or Con for the HP as secondary stats.

But with Dex and Con, which one can I afford to increase later? I'll be putting 2 points on str and 1 point on either Dex or Con per level and I'm wondering which of those I should bring up first.
#2BigC_072Posted 11/17/2009 8:11:24 AM
I've been playing my first run through with 3 tanks and Wynne as my healer.

Alistair and myself are sword and shield spec'd. You want lots of strength, dexterity, and constitution. You can get excellent defense ratings with this type of build (I have 105 melee and 120 missile with shield wall at level 20). I pumped points into constitution because I had such heavy armor to reduce damage, plus I was getting hit in melee pretty rarely with such a high defense.
---
Without a gutter, my mind would be homeless.
#3konokonohamaruPosted 11/17/2009 8:15:20 AM
get DEX up to 26 so you can learn all the shield talents

get willpower and con up to a point that you are comfortable with the amount of HP and stamina

dump the rest into strength
#4GreyfeldPosted 11/17/2009 8:17:52 AM
Strength 42
Dex 26

Rest into Con or Wil (depending if you want the extra health, or stamina)

The str/dex listed are the max required for the best gear/skills in the game for tanking.
#5M1che1Posted 11/17/2009 8:19:34 AM
Best tank is probably is an arcane warrior,unkillable,even on nightmare.
#6GreyfeldPosted 11/17/2009 8:22:17 AM
M1che1 posted...

Arcane warrior also requires you to get to level 7, go through the forest ruins, and then at least a few levels beyond that to flesh out your character properly.
#7Blackmon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2009 8:33:08 AM
Thanks for all the responses but should I just cap my str at 42? What about damage? Doesn't str affect overall dmg? Won't my damage suck at higher levels? Or is the affect of str on dmg is so minimal that I'd be better off spending it on more health or stamina?

More stamina would be great if I chose to get templar as a specialization. I have Alistair on my other rogue character and Holy Smite takes a tons of stamina and I have to choose whether it's worth it to use either Holy Smite or Taunt at the start of battle since it won't let me use both due to stamina being low.

Or am I better of going Con? I've fought the high dragon in the mountain as a rogue and without force field on Alistair, the Dragon seems to eat his HP up without problem when he chews on him and I have both Morrigan and Wynne curing him and with Wynne nearby for her cleansing aura. He has high str (more than 42) with decent points to Con.

That's true but it requires you to be a mage. I just want to stick with the norms. I want my tank to have tank/warrior abilities instead of mainly mage abilities. Plus I think I'd have problems getting the enemies' attention without threaten or taunt.
#8paniktPosted 11/17/2009 8:48:44 AM
I have one question.

Since we intend to use the character as a tank, why can't we just focus on con just like what we normally do in MMO games like WoW?

Can we just assign some points on str/dex ( Just enough to get all the required skills) and then assign the rest to con?
#9Blackmon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2009 8:50:02 AM
it's the armor equipment. You need 42 str to be able to wear the best armor in the game.
#10Yuri is backPosted 11/17/2009 8:53:22 AM
Tanks aren't all that necessary in this game. All you need is taunt on a warrior to get some aggro, then kill everything else with mages.