Leliana's voice

#11SilentHawk29Posted 11/17/2009 11:31:16 AM

Flemeth, Alistair and Duncan are all pretty decent for a game. I mean video game voice acting is always kinda crappy because there are so few actors who understand the medium. Even when you get decent actors to do the voice over, like Liam Neeson in Fallout 3, they give terrible performances because they can't get their heads round trying to do a character that's talking through the 4th wall at the viewer. Or possibly they just don't care because they know their career will be entirely unaffected even if they give the best/worst performance of their life...there's no Oscar to be had.

I honestly think the best voice acting I've heard is the guy that does Guybrush in the Monkey Island series, mainly because he's not a a big actor, hes a voice over actor who got the job because he was a massive Monkey Island fan, he understands what he's doing and it really shows.

On topic though, I dunno, maybe it's not noticeable if you aren't used to French accents but I live a few miles from France so I speak to people talking english with a French accent regularly. The way that the girl who plays Leliana talks is not an anglo-french accent...it's a borderline speech impediment coming from someone who sounds like they are having trouble reading the script let alone acting.

Uh, do your research on the VA. She's French and learned British English.
---
PSN - Srikar
Level Design Portfolio - http://www.jasongraddy.com
#12LegoTechnicPosted 11/17/2009 11:47:19 AM
I'm kind of surprised that people are complaining about the voice acting in this game, and I'm 100% certain that a recorded conversation between yourself and your friends would absolutely flabbergast you.
---
Bane even prayed for Dick when he became Batman. -- Frostbite_Zero
#13Anti-Skub(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2009 12:05:07 PM
SilentHawk29 posted...
Uh, do your research on the VA. She's French and learned British English.
---
PSN - Srikar
Level Design Portfolio - http://www.jasongraddy.com

Uh, read the post....I know that shes French and living in London, I'm not denying that. I'm saying shes a terrible actress. My original point is, do you think the casting directors didn't notice it because she has such a screwy voice to begin with? Like I said, her voice is not purely a product of english mixed with french, she has a pretty obvious lisp. LegoTechnic posted...
I'm kind of surprised that people are complaining about the voice acting in this game, and I'm 100% certain that a recorded conversation between yourself and your friends would absolutely flabbergast you

I'm not a professional voice actor? I can't sing but that doesn't mean that everyone who can sing better than me should be a professional singer either.
#14Anti-Skub(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2009 12:09:51 PM
I should point out again that I'm not saying that the voice acting in general is bad, on the contrary as an overall experience, considering the volume, the voice acting is excellent for a game, might be one of the best. I'm talking exclusivly about Leliana.
#15rlennyPosted 11/17/2009 12:31:27 PM
Leliana and Marjolaine are my fav. voice acting in the game, Claudia black was amazing too
Also cant forget about Alistair, heh in like flynn :)
---
PS3 ID: HIROLLER
X360: SouTH47
#16rlennyPosted 11/17/2009 12:33:26 PM
Btw, the voice acting in this game is superb all around.
If neone told me in person that it was bad VAing i'd slap them upside the head.
---
PS3 ID: HIROLLER
X360: SouTH47
#17EdukuPosted 11/17/2009 12:37:04 PM
Personally I think Leliana's voice is fine, and the voice acting in the game is more than fine. Alistair and Morrigan's are my particular favourites 8D
#18Agamemnon485bcPosted 11/17/2009 12:41:43 PM
What bothered me about Leliana's voice actress is that it's the same voice actress from Mass Effect that did the doctor. Plus I don't find it attractive--it's really hard to make out what she's saying. And, as mentioned before, she puts just about zero tone into the conversation.

They apparently got it right for Allistair and Morrigan by actually bringing on real actors.
#19helrunner7Posted 11/17/2009 12:45:23 PM
I like Leliana's voice. It's fine.
Its funny you would say that her accent is just wrong, when that's how she speaks period... Doesn't make much sense. I'm french, my accent is extremely slight, would be hard to even notice.

I like that you mentioned the lisp as a child speech problem. There are adults with lisps...
#20Anti-Skub(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2009 1:08:24 PM
Yes I know adult's can have lisps....as made clear by the girl who plays Leliana. It's still a speech impediment that makes her sound like a little girl. And like Agamemnon said, it's not that the tone of her voice is off, it's that it has no tone what so ever, she reads the script like a lecturer might read a passage from a text book. It's devoid of emotion....it's bad acting.