Does this mod fix archery?

#1davidaxelrodPosted 12/1/2009 2:58:56 PM
Anyone use this mod?

http://social.bioware.com/project/852/#details

I don't know he lists 2 sets of changes for archery (see link) but I've pasted the top list of archery changes below.

Sounds like this would make archery a reasonable main, and a worthwhile alternative to multiple mages (i.e. 2 tanks + 1 archer + 1 mage vs just tanks + 2 mages or 1 tank + 3 mages).

Here are the top list of changes from the link above:

Archery changes: Aim is pretty poor by default. Archery really lacks oomph in general. Thus, these fixes should address the core archery issues.. Aim is now much better against strong single targets or even in general use, but Rapid Fire still has higher dps against weaker mobs. Because the archery abilities have such a long firing time, you tend to lose too much dps using them, so their dmg is boosted a bit to compensate.

Aim
+ scaling ranged crit bonus (0.1% per DEX)
+ scaling attack rating (5 + 0.2 per DEX)
+ scaling armor penetration (0.2 per CUN)
+ scaling dmg increase (2 + 0.1 per DEX)
+ Master Archer talent increases the bonuses slightly
- no more aim speed penalty, bow will fire at normal rate
+ scaling in combat stamina regen based on WIL (0.125 per WIL)

Defensive Fire
+ scaling armor bonus (10 + 5 with Master Archer)

Rapid Shot
The -10 attack rating is removed if you have Master Archer.
+ scaling in combat stamina regen based on WIL (0.125 per WIL)

Shots
All active shots such as Pinning, Shattering etc have a small dmg bonus that scales with DEX.

Critical Shot
The damage of this shot has been greatly improved.
#2TGBlankPosted 12/1/2009 3:26:29 PM
It doth not seem to address my main gripes with archery (slow skills, low duration of effects, rapid shot not stacking with rapid aim bows, rapid shot not stacking with anything). But perhaps it helps enough.
#3davidaxelrod(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2009 4:11:31 PM
Has anyone tried it out? I think I will using it for an archer main.
#4EnjoyMePosted 12/1/2009 4:23:47 PM
Currently installing the Archery and 2H portion.

Dual Wield seems fine. I don't think the skills really need his buff just to keep up with auto attack + Momentum + runes. Most skills have side effects that warrant a minor DPS loss (such as impaired movement and defense loss), or utility (stuns) and even Dual Weapon Sweep for AoE. Besides, you can't always be backstabbing, it's good to have some auto crits.
---
[E[]V[]e *also responds to Santana*
Currently Playing: Dragon Age: Origins, Dungeon Fighter Online, F-Zero GX, Borderlands
#5MaXiMiUSPosted 12/1/2009 4:29:35 PM
Meh, I just use a mod I made myself :P

http://social.bioware.com/project/692/

Some people might not like it, but it works just fine for me, until BioWare actually figures out how they're going to fix it themselves.
---
Training From Hell: Hey, no pain, no gain. Ergo, according to this trope, A LOT of pain, A LOT of gain.
#6ty8131990Posted 12/1/2009 5:51:08 PM

Those work. Archery becomes much more viable when they work right.

#7davidaxelrod(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2009 7:29:49 PM
What is meant by "version 0.3" in your link? Of the Bioware hotfix or what??
#8F1_2004Posted 12/1/2009 7:34:12 PM
The biggest problem with archery is that it's dead boring. What do you do other than sit in one spot and plink baddies with arrows? Occasionally fire an arrow that does more damage than regular... exciting!
#9davidaxelrod(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2009 7:36:26 PM
If that's how you feel about it then that's not unique to this game. Unless you're playing Diablo II and can spit out all kinds of crazy stuff like an arcade game, yeah, you're just going to be firing arrows.
#10EnjoyMePosted 12/2/2009 12:15:28 PM

Meh, I just use a mod I made myself :P

http://social.bioware.com/project/692/

Some people might not like it, but it works just fine for me, until BioWare actually figures out how they're going to fix it themselves.

I'm actually using yours. It boosts the damage from archery enough, to compensate for the other issues, like slow cast times.

The one the TC links makes enemy archers broken, hah.
---
[E[]V[]e *also responds to Santana*
Currently Playing: Dragon Age: Origins, Dungeon Fighter Online, F-Zero GX, Borderlands