Other good games like Dragon age?

#1DomiMMKPosted 12/3/2009 7:31:03 PM
What other games are out there that are like Dragon age? Or maybe just good RPG games in general?
#2ProsercunusPosted 12/3/2009 7:34:26 PM
Not like Dragon Age but I enjoyed The Witcher and to a lesser extent Risen.

I am assuming you mean modern games and in all honesty those are the only ones I can even recommend... you might like Mass Effect also if you are looking for something Bioware although I didn't really enjoy it as much as Dragon Age myself.
---
Wonder Woman is lame. She flies around in an invisible jet, but she's not invisible. I don't get it. - Megan Fox
#3wilebillPosted 12/3/2009 7:34:59 PM
Look on Gamespot under the RPG category. Thing is a lot of the older RPG games have graphics that are less impressive, but still excellent games.
#4catsimboyPosted 12/3/2009 7:37:49 PM
Knights of the Old Republic 1+2 is like the precursor to Dragon Age in the Star Wars universe but WAY before the time when the events of the two trilogies take place. Neverwinter Nights 1+2 are pretty good also. But it's the same deal with the main character being on a big quest and he picks up a ragtag group of part members along the way. I also recommend the Freedom Force series which is a super hero RPG strategy game.
---
I should not walk so a child may live.----http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Catsimboy
#5jk2lPosted 12/3/2009 7:53:34 PM
for first person game i like Fallout 3, the music is good. the story is great too. and the theme suit the story well
#6Anti-SkubPosted 12/3/2009 7:56:50 PM

Prosercunus posted...
Not like Dragon Age but I enjoyed The Witcher and to a lesser extent Risen.

I quite enjoyed Risen as well. There are so many things wrong with it, you could write a book about it's faults, but it still manages to be an enjoyable experience overall. For all it's quirks I actually ended up enjoying it more than the Witcher.

#7doug123Posted 12/3/2009 7:57:30 PM
For recent games The Witcher and Neverwinter Nights 2. NWN2 is probably the most similar you can find for this decade, however the companions were nowhere near as interesting, nor was any aspect really. However, NWN2 was still a good game.
#8Isaac_RedfieldPosted 12/3/2009 8:00:42 PM
"I am assuming you mean modern games and in all honesty those are the only ones I can even recommend... you might like Mass Effect also if you are looking for something Bioware although I didn't really enjoy it as much as Dragon Age myself."

I actually enjoyed Mass Effect much more overall and at first I hated the way the combat was implemented (at least until I ended up getting the PC version). Mass Effect just felt more epic and the universe and background stories were fantastic. The actual RPG elements might have been a little "lighter" due to the action aspect but they did it really well and I think the biggest difference was that it was actually...FUN to try out more than just one class in a new game, unlike this where it's pretty lopsided towards Mages (even if you use "willpower" and play something else it doesn't really fix the problem).

The Witcher is also the only other game I can really think of as well, and it too had a better story, but you are a lone wolf in that one. Didn't bother me though, sometimes not having to constantly fight stupid party AI makes a much more enjoyable experience overall. Honestly in hindsight, DA was pretty much a disappointment compared to those games, especially for how long it took them to make it. Not saying it wasn't fun at least the first time through though.
#9Isaac_RedfieldPosted 12/3/2009 8:04:02 PM
"For recent games The Witcher and Neverwinter Nights 2. NWN2 is probably the most similar you can find for this decade, however the companions were nowhere near as interesting, nor was any aspect really. However, NWN2 was still a good game"

Ironically I had about as much fun with NWN2 as DA which is probably why DA was such a letdown to me. It didn't seem like I was playing anything different and the only thing that really changed was the story...and not by all that much. The graphics sure were not greatly improved over NWN2's dated graphics either. The AI in NWN2 was really freaking horrible too unless you used mods that "fixed" the issues, and in DA it felt like I was revisiting the terrible NWN2 AI all over again. The "tactics" just seemed too much like the NWN2 AI options...and you had to level up to even access them without a mod. WTF.
#10Anti-SkubPosted 12/3/2009 8:08:49 PM

Gothic 3 is also really worth playing. You need to mod it a bit to get rid of some of the weird design choices and bugs that the devs left in (same as Bethesda games really) but once you do that it's a really enjoyable sandbox RPG. You get an extreme amount of freedom to do what you want but the game still manages to feel cohesive.

I'd suggest Oblivion and Fallout 3 as well but they seem kinda obvious, I'd guess almost everyone has either tried them and not liked the style or played them for hundreds of hours.