Morrigan and the ending(spoilers)

#1BeerMagePosted 12/29/2009 9:48:38 AM

I was discussing the topic about Morrigans child in some other thread and something came up that I think is really interesting.

Anyone who experimented the endings a bit would know that Morrigan can only have 2 possible endings.

The following is from DA wikia.

1.Morrigan is last seen traveling west through the Frostback Mountains, possibly with child ( completing the dark ritual is unneccessary in this case, as romancing Morrigan andrefusing the ritualwill render the same result ).

2.Morrigan leaves the party the night before the final battle when the Warden refuses her offer. She is later seen traveling through the Frostback Mountains alone. Several years later, tales out of Orlais said that a strange dark-haired mage had insinuated herself within the empress's court .(Male PC must not engage in romance with Morrigan for this to trigger).

I tested mulptiple variations and these are correct. So she either gets pregnant or not.

The interesting part about it, is that she will also been seen traveling with child even if you refuse the ritual. This only happens if you are playing as a male and slept with her at camp. So basically the child is yours. It's one of those "unexpected" pregnacies that happen all the time. Someone may think she seduced Riordan, but if you play as a female character, Morrigan will tell you that she needs a male Warden that hasn't been tainted for too long and the only option is Alistair(or Loghain), who would never sleep with her unless you convince him.

So basically in this variation of the ending, she was already knocked up and she had no idea about it. Most people would say "ok, she got lucky and got what she wanted in the end, same ending". But what if it's different?

Here's the loop. Riordan explains to you that when a Grey Warden kills the Archdemon his essence will travel through the warden and kill him. And this is exactly what happens when you refuse the ritual. You see, Morrigan wants to trap the Archdemons essence into the child. So even if she did some other ritual later she couldn't possibly do it because the essence traveled through the Warden.

And here's what I'm wondering..

Is it possible for the child to NOT bear the taint? You know, she got knocked up with a NORMAL child? Is this a different variation of the ending or am I putting too much thought into this?

#2PokestuntsPosted 12/29/2009 9:56:50 AM
No you are not putting too much thought into this, this is really interesting. I myself believe they missed this little thing about sleeping with Morgan before hand, but Morgan stated herself that once you kill the archdemon, it would seek out the baby like a beacon.

BUT, Morgan also states that the ritual has to Take Place Tonight, before the battle or something like that. SO I would assume that a baby way before the battle would not count.

Probably because the baby is already in development or something which would lead Morgan to have a normal child instead.

---
Last time I checked it wasn't night time, and you're not sleeping so stop dreaming!- shishio
#3BeerMage(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2009 10:10:26 AM

Pokestunts posted...
BUT, Morgan also states that the ritual has to Take Place Tonight, before the battle or something like that. SO I would assume that a baby way before the battle would not count.

Yes, I didn't bring that up because Bioware can just come out and say that Morrigan did the ritual and it worked anyway. It can be easily avoided if it was a mistake.

Pokestunts posted...
Morgan stated herself that once you kill the archdemon, it would seek out the baby like a beacon.

EXACTLY... If you refuse the ritual.. you die(or Alistair it doesn't matter). This means that the essence of the Archdemon DID NOT go into the child...

Dead Warden = normal child

correct?

#4PokestuntsPosted 12/29/2009 10:17:04 AM
correct, I would have to assume/agree, that dead warden = normal child.
Pretty easy to overlook too.

Man, this game has sooo many little things anyone can miss.
---
Last time I checked it wasn't night time, and you're not sleeping so stop dreaming!- shishio
#5mojojinPosted 12/29/2009 10:21:12 AM
Whoa, you really did make a new topic. o_o

Anyway, yes, if you refused her proposal, and if she actually was pregnant beforehand, the child would be taintless.

Still, the idea that she had an unexpected pregnancy escape her notice, well, it just doesn't seem to make alot of sense. Sure, everyone makes mistakes i suppose, but if she could count on getting pregnant on that one night, how could she have missed it before?
---
just because i don't care doesn't mean i don't know anything......DOH!---------
#6KrackericanPosted 12/29/2009 12:44:27 PM
This idea is truly an amazing thought, one I would have never noticed myself. But I ask the question, if dead Warden= normal babe then what will Morrigan do with the baby after its birth? Would she cherish such a babe (simply because it is the seed of the warden), would she kill it because she views it as a weakness, or would she be like Flemeth and raise it in secret? Better yet, what if you let Flemeth live after you find out her intentions towards Morrigan instead of killing her (which i highly doubt you would do if you loved Morrigan), would Flemeth herself take the baby?
#7BeerMage(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2009 1:23:58 PM

It really puzzles me.

Maybe it is something bioware overlooked... I don't know.. Wouldn't they leave a hint or something?

Does anyone have an existing account over at bioware's forums? I'd be cool to see what people think there. I've seen a few quality posters but I can't be bothered to start an account just to ask that. :P

#85anctuaryPosted 12/30/2009 12:54:40 PM
I read the epilogue in my first playthrough that the child was assumed to be from the Warden but the ritual was never completed so IT IS NOT THE OLD GOD. Can't see why you're making a fuss over it. Thou it is interesting what would she do with the child (especially if it's a boy) :)
#9BlckLeatherRainPosted 12/30/2009 1:05:24 PM
You can't assume that the child will be taintless. It comes of the Warden, so it follows that some taint will be coming along with the kid. However, Morrigan didn't tell the Warden that she needs a kid in order to save all of the Wardens - she said she needed to perform a ritual, which suggests some magical preparations would need to be implemented in order to turn on the "beacon" she refers to that draws the god's essence into the zygote.

I do agree with the insinuation that Morrigan would have to know if she was pregnant. For god's sake, she's a witch, and a female. These women supposedly know more about nature's harmonies within their person than normal women, so there's no excuse for her not to know.

Therefore, there's another possibility here - Morrigan being with child does NOT mean that she's with the Warden's child. She could easily have picked up her Mother's bad habits and intends to extend her own life through her mother's rituals, and has gone to a stranger to get herself impregnated.
#10menalaos1971Posted 12/30/2009 1:07:05 PM
Well, if she wanted a beautiful 18-22 year old to jump into when she got old she'd want to get started now I guess.
---
I'm just like Jesus. I save... often! ** I can't give you your opinion. I can only give you mine. ** Ignorance is cured with knowledge. Stupid lasts forever.