Melee vs ranged Rogue

#1SaigoKarasuPosted 1/13/2010 4:27:24 PM
Which do you think is the overall better build?
---
Phantasy Star Zero: Sorlin FC: 4769 8298 4146
#2gameduck2Posted 1/13/2010 4:35:06 PM
I prefer ranger over melee warrior:

1. ranger get summoned beasts ( wolf or bear etc. ) which is big help in crowded situation.

2. ranger is a better scout than warrior especially if he uses stealth.

3. ranger get hurt less easily than warrior.

4. with a good bow, ranger has damage comparable to warrior.

5. easier to manage your team than warrior who is always busy fighting.

However, I played both because each has its own fun. BTW, warrior get to wear the best armor in the game.
#3tigerex777Posted 1/13/2010 4:36:15 PM
summoned beast? I'm a ranged rogue level 10 and I don't see any animals I can ask to help me; when does this happen?
---
PSN - Cholamb79
Games owned - MGS4, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, UC2, VC, Disgaea 3 and Resistance 1.
#4gameduck2Posted 1/13/2010 5:04:47 PM
summoned beast? I'm a ranged rogue level 10 and I don't see any animals I can ask to help me; when does this happen?

If your spec at level 7 is a ranger then you can summon wolf -> bear etc.
#5sarcasteakPosted 1/13/2010 5:15:58 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6sarcasteakPosted 1/13/2010 5:18:25 PM
I think he meant dual wield Rogue vs bow Rogue.

I strongly prefer DW Rogue because it can output massive DPS very quickly and has better and more useful skills, both passive and active... and even though DW Rogue mostly rely on Momentum and weapon enchantment DPS instead of active skills, it can still use helpful close-range stun and knockdown skills strategically when the need arises. With the help of mages' AoE stun or paralysis, DW Rogue can mow through enemies like knife through butter via Coup de Grace.

Granted, for peak efficiency the DW Rogue requires some micromanage and maneuvering, whereas bow Rogue will mostly be firing away automatically with Rapid Fire after summoning another animal to control as Ranger. AoS and Scattershot are the two nice offensive skills, but both are very costly and have long cooldown, so bow Rogue isn't in that much better shape compared to DW Rogue when it comes to stamina budget. I found that the summoned animals were more fun to play as than the bow Rogue.
---
"I would like to inform you in advance that I have no dere."
#7funkyfritterPosted 1/13/2010 5:18:54 PM
1. ranger get summoned beasts ( wolf or bear etc. ) which is big help in crowded situation.

Both ranged and melee rogues can use the ranger spec

2. ranger is a better scout than warrior especially if he uses stealth.

Neither gets a bonus to stealth, if anything the melee rogue will be a better scout since it's less susceptible to ambushes.

3. ranger get hurt less easily than warrior.

Melee build has the option of wearing better armor, neither should get hit often unless your tank screws up.

4. with a good bow, ranger has damage comparable to warrior.

Not even close.

5. easier to manage your team than warrior who is always busy fighting.

If you just want something that can auto attack without management a warrior is better than either build.
---
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/297/keyboardwut.jpg
#8Legion_InfernoPosted 1/13/2010 5:22:58 PM
spoiler,

for your main character, melee rogue is way better, bc you can open chests on your own, and cunning helps with that, as you will need a lot of cunning for melee, and it makes persuasion better. and you can make use of the bonus skills from the DLC, "the tainted blade" is insane.

have leliana be a range rogue, she's already a bard, now make her a ranger,
and only she can use Marjolaine's Curve, which is probably the best bow in the game.

and btw, range rogue is better than warrior in DPS,
because of one skill along, "arrow of slaying"
I'm doing about 500 damage with each of those.
#9sarcasteakPosted 1/13/2010 5:25:52 PM
>>and btw, range rogue is better than warrior in DPS,
because of one skill along, "arrow of slaying"
I'm doing about 500 damage with each of those.

Is this a joke? That's called spike damage, not DPS. Bow Rogue is inferior to a DW Rogue or DW Warrior when it comes to actual DPS.
---
"I would like to inform you in advance that I have no dere."
#10vampire_freak87Posted 1/13/2010 5:31:51 PM
Arrow of Slaying functions like a "noob detector". If you see someone citing AoS as a massive dps source, there you go, you found a noob.
---
This behaviour must not continue. Feel the burning stare of my hamster and change your ways