Im starting to realise how over-rated this game is

#1ColdOne666Posted 3/31/2012 11:27:41 PM
Especially the combat at the start, all they do is just send wave after wave of enemies at you and depending on what difficulty your on you just hope you survive or dont run out of mana.

The story was pretty good but
---
"Pitiful mortals. Your hope ends here...And your meaningless existence with it!"
#2Arctic_BlastPosted 4/1/2012 5:59:40 AM
I can't decide if you've got the wrong board or are just terrible.
'tis quite the dilemma.
---
http://i56.tinypic.com/28jdzbq.jpg
#3AnagramPosted 4/1/2012 9:03:55 AM
Yeah, this game's story is nothing short of the most original contribution to the fantasy genre in years.

Spoilers

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go help the last true king of England retake his throne from his evil stepsister.
---
Not changing this sig until I decide to change this sig.
Started: July 6, 2005
#4dzimmPosted 4/2/2012 4:46:08 AM

Combat can be a bit of a slog at a times, but it's still some of the best combat I've seen in an RPG.  The fact that classes other than wizard are actually fun to play is a big point in its favor.  Each class has some really diverse and useful skills, and you never find yourself just spamming the same one or two skills over and over.  By the end of Awakening, my level 31 rogue had about a dozen skills at his disposal, and each one got used at some point during every fight which kept things really interesting right up to the end.

As for the story, it's not the most original I've ever heard, but it's really well told and has enough unique twists that BioWare can legitimately call it their own.  What really sets DA:O apart from a lot of other games is how well developed the game world is.  Everything from Ferelden's history, politics, racial differences, religions, myths, and legends is so well fleshed out that it makes it feel more like a real place than a video game setting.

It's truly a remarkable game in every way.  Too bad BioWare has only managed to make garbage since then.

#5dark lancerPosted 4/2/2012 9:02:56 AM
The main story is basically gather the four crystals and overcome the evil opposing you, then beat the greater evil troubling the world.

The replayability is indirectly proportional to how many quests you've seen and completed. Orzammar makes it hard to want to replay.
---
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." --George Orwell
[Papal Crusaders]
#6Pandaren EmperorPosted 4/2/2012 4:47:56 PM
seeing how the tc never replies, I'm guessing this is a trolling topic
---
Why do they call this a brothel? Does it have something to do with broth? --- Merrill, Dragon Age II
#7BowserCuffsPosted 4/3/2012 7:09:45 PM
Most games, even the good games... hell, ESPECIALLY the good games, are overrated.

That doesn't make them bad. It just means that the hype does not match the gameplay.
---
Certified Dragon Maniac
I went to College for Obsessions and everything to get that certification.
#8TazmanianDPosted 4/4/2012 2:40:33 PM

BowserCuffs posted...
Most games, even the good games... hell, ESPECIALLY the good games, are overrated.

That doesn't make them bad. It just means that the hype does not match the gameplay.

^This. I'm always amazed by the drooling that goes on over a lot of games *cough* *Elder Scrolls* where the game is good, but it's only good or maybe even very good but nothing like "perfect" or "best game ever".

#9some09guy IIPosted 4/4/2012 3:54:17 PM
TazmanianD posted...
^This. I'm always amazed by the drooling that goes on over a lot of games *cough* *Elder Scrolls* where the game is good, but it's only good or maybe even very good but nothing like "perfect" or "best game ever".

Same could be said of basically every game. It's all very subjective. Look at games like FF7 and OoT. For their times they were objectively fantastic and even now there's still some value playing them. Yet still people talk about how much they suck. Tell me the best game ever made and I'll list off 10 reasons it's terrible.

That's a funny thing about games, really. More than most mediums there's always noticeable flaws, no matter how well-made they are. Skyrim's story is too little developed, GTA4 doesn't have enough to do outside of the story, RDR has too many random encounters and too long of travel distances, Origins' combat is too slow and graphics too dated, so on and so forth. It's far too easy to argue how Skyrim is better than Morrowind and Morrowind is better than Skyrim and how both are dwarfed by Daggerfell, or how both dwarf Daggerfell.
#10BowserCuffsPosted 4/4/2012 6:25:23 PM

Like this game. Some of the posts I've made here, people might think I hate the game, but this game ranks very high for me. Part of it is because it's moddable, I like that aspect of it, but it's a fantastic standalone game.

Skyrim has several issues that plague it, though they aren't game-killing, and I rather enjoy playing it... not to mention, it's moddable, which means many of those issues (though not all) can be fixed.

Morrowind had several things going for it, but the overall experience wasn't very enjoyable for me. I gave it a fair shot, but it didn't work out too well for me.

I enjoyed playing FF7 more than I enjoyed FF8, but I still enjoyed FF8, and FF7 had very many terrible things going for it, like the absolutely horrid translation that made several scenes unintelligible, and the complete lack of textures outside of what must be the 3D equivalent of MSPaint's fill command (though that was understandable for the time period)

Origins' combat is too slow and graphics too dated,

Personally, I don't think Origin's graphics are dated at all, but that's just me. I don't demand the Best Everything Ever that many gamers today seem to demand.
---
Certified Dragon Maniac
I went to College for Obsessions and everything to get that certification.