Deck Building Guide

#1ZeidrichPosted 1/11/2006 12:53:03 PMmessage detail
This thing is long so NOONE post until I am done.

The following guide can be used for BOTH in game and in real life.

ChronoChefExeís Guide to Deck Building

I. Opening statement by Chef and self
II. Choosing a theme
III. Making a skeleton deck and staples
IV. Card Terms
V. New! Metagame-How to combat it
VI. New! Sidedecks. Know what to side in.
VII. Acknowledgements

I. Opening Statement

I would like to first mention that the person who originally came up with this article is none other than the legendary IronChefChn. Who am I? In gamefaqs I am known as Zeidrich and on aim as Chronoexe. Most people just go with the latter and are known for finding ways to make creative decks extremely competitive. I started playing yugioh several years ago and got introduced into the world of YVD and better decks not for awhile. Chef was one of the few people who helped me start looking outside the box when it came to deck building. I would like to introduce you to the guide but instead it would be better if Chefís words state it.

IronChefCHNís Guide to Building a Good Deck
Inspired by yugiohfanís recent YGO articles, I decided to write one as well. And I think it will benefit many users on this board. It is of course deck-building, one of the most important things in the game of YGO. Recently, Iíve seen a lot of ďbadĒ decks around these boards and personally, I was just too tired to fix them for a couple of reasons. One was that the deck simply sucked and wasnít worth my time trying to fix it and the second is the deck builder refused to listen to advice. Granted most of the advice was burning the deck but who am I to disagree? Anyways, in order to solve that problem, Iíve compiled a guide to deck building which should help or at least provide some good insight to what makes a deck good or bad, or how to make one. In this article, Iíll show you what I, IronChefCHN, go through and think in my mind when trying to build a deck. And trust me; Iím both experienced enough and good enough to be allowed to give advice here. Iím not the best nor the only user around here that can help. Kami, yugiohfan, BUFU, Gumbo, etc. are all very good duelists and can make just as good, or even better advice. And besides, the more thoughts, the better, right?
Itís me again and I have to say he makes good points. This is where I will mention the updated guide since things have changed since chef made this guide and I am here to help you guys see what has differed. I have divided deck building into several steps.

II. Choosing a Theme

So right now you have yvd open and are wondering what to do now. You have no idea what to add in right? Guess what that is good because first thingís first. Your deck needs a THEME! Most decks have something it focuses on and now with the current ban list there is more leeway since the staples that once clogged up your deck have all but disappeared and allow people to focus more on a theme. However, you should know this, regardless of the theme keep in mind that you are targeting for a few points with every deck. The first point is to find a win condition with your theme. Most themes require reducing your opponentís life points to 0. However, decks like Mill have a whole different focus. Second point is you want to make sure the deck is CONSISTENT with the theme. If you are using warrior cards and are not using the warrior support like Reinforcements of the army well you are not really helping your deck achieve itís goal quickly enough are you? There are more points I will address but those are in later parts of this deck building guide. Ok so now you know what to do right? Well now before we start making your deck it would be a good idea to make a Skeleton deck with all the staples. What is a staple you ask? Letís find out.

---
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/9735/chronototalpwn4zq.png // Credit to metalhyper
#2ZeidrichPosted 1/11/2006 12:53:36 PMmessage detail

III. Skeleton and Staples Revised!

The original skeleton given by Ironchef has been updated due to the fact that the new advanced TCG list has made it obsolete. Most of the cards there got banned. <_<;;
Regardless, I will use his same format to show you what the cards that benefit just about every deck are. This follows the TCG advanced list.

Non Tribute Monsters
Sangan
Morphing Jar
Cyber Jar
Breaker the Magical Warrior
Magician of Faith

Spells
Dark Hole
Book of Moon
Mystical Space Typhoon
Smashing Ground
Lightning Vortex
Heavy Storm
Scapegoat
Brain Control
Premature Burial
Nobleman of Crossout
Snatch Steal
Confiscation
Swords of Revealing Light

Traps
Dust Tornado
Torrential Tribute
Ceasefire
Call of the Haunted

Fusions
Any that you are willing to dedicate go in here. Fusions do not count against your original deck so feel free to add in. I would recommend adding one of every level since you never know what you will steal from your opponent.

You can see that the list does not have cyber dragons, mobius and other things even though they are widely used. Why is that? Because not every single deck benefits from it. Burner decks for example do not need EITHER of those. Now like chef stated in his previous guide you can argue that the only true staple is pot of greed. Like chef I will say that you should stop to think. Now go look at a deck list of the top 8 in an SJC or regionals and 90% of those decks if not all will have those cards in their deck list in one form or another. Some might not use vortex or other cards but almost all of the cards there will be used. Now that you have added your staples comes the next part.

Your THEME. Remember when I told you to pick a theme? Well this is where you begin adding themed cards. Necrovalley decks would add necrovalley, the gravekeepers and other gravekeeper related cards. Warriors do the same and so will dark world users. Just remember your deck should stay in the 40-45 card range not counting fusions of course. Now the reasoning for this card range is nothing more than simple probability. If you are trying to draw a good card from a deck you have a higher chance of drawing it from a 40 card deck than a 60 card deck. This also explains why the idea of multiples is good. If a card is part of your strategy and you require it for the deck to work add them in 2 and 3s and not one. I have seen too many decks involving the copy of one card going on with a 7-8 card combo that does not even win games. Come on people. Now then I will now guide you to the steps of making a deck by following a simple example. I simply enjoy Gearfried the Iron Knight and how to use his effect offensively. In fact it was chef who helped me make my first version of this deck. So then following the guide we already have a skeleton.

Non Tribute Monsters
Sangan
Morphing Jar
Cyber Jar
Magician of Faith

Spells
Dark Hole
Book of Moon
Mystical Space Typhoon
Smashing Ground
Lightning Vortex
Heavy Storm
Scapegoat
Brain Control
Premature Burial
Nobleman of Crossout
Snatch Steal
Confiscation

Traps
Dust Tornado
Torrential Tribute
Ceasefire
Call of the Haunted

---
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/9735/chronototalpwn4zq.png // Credit to metalhyper
#3ZeidrichPosted 1/11/2006 12:54:29 PMmessage detail
So far so good right? Well from there itís time I add warrior support and gearfried support so along with this I come up with this.

Tributes (4)
Cyber Dragon
Cyber Dragon
Mobius the Frost Monarch
Mobius the Frost Monarch

Non Tribute Monsters(14)
Gearfried the Iron Knight
D.D. Assailant
D.D. Assailant
D.D. Warrior Girl
D.D. Survivor
Mystic Swordsman Level 2
Grand Ninjamaster Sasuke
Sangan
Morphing Jar
Cyber Jar
Magician of Faith

Spells(18)
Reinforcements of the Army
Reinforcements of the Army
The Warrior Returning Alive
The Warrior Returning Alive
Smashing Ground
Smashing Ground
Dark Hole
Book of Moon
Mystical Space Typhoon
Lightning Vortex
Heavy Storm
Scapegoat
Brain Control
Premature Burial
Nobleman of Crossout
Snatch Steal
Confiscation

Traps(9)
Dust Tornado
Dust Tornado
Dust Tornado
Blast with Chain
Blast with Chain
Blast with Chain
Torrential Tribute
Ceasefire
Call of the Haunted

As you can see I hit the 45 card limit. Here you have choices. You can keep it as is since 45 are not THAT bad or drop some cards. I for example would drop vortex, confiscation, a WRA, ceasefire and a dust. However it is all from preference and play style. Keep in mind every person is different so different changes will be made. That is it really. The idea for deck building is to go for consistency, playability, and effectiveness.

One more thing. After building your deck it is suggested you playtest it either against yourself or someone else. Some good tests would be to have your deck duel a deck that would be the hardest one for you to defeat. For example, gravekeepers would have trouble against a soul control deck and etc.

NOTE: The following sections are mostly for IRL cases. Feel free to read them however for learning about the game differs.

IV. Card Terms

The following section is more oriented for more serious players but even casual players can learn a thing or two from this. While making a deck you may have heard terms like tech, card advantage, bad topdecks, and other card terms that you may not understand. This section explains those terms and gives examples.

Metagame-What decks are being used in your local area, regionals or tournaments and knowing what to expect when you go there.

This is the biggest one. When people mention what the current meta is you should definitely listen. Basically for a simple example we will use the local tourneys are your meta. Say you go your tournament and go there and play with your deck. So say you lose in the opening round and hey this happens sometimes. Afterwards you stick around to see who wins. You find out that the top 4 decks were a gravekeeper deck, a warrior toolbox, a dark world deck, and a soul control deck won it. Knowing this you can tell that the meta is quite diverse. For one the top 4 decks differ in their methods of winning. So how do you counter this meta? Well gravekeepers is easily destroyed by getting rid of their keycard necrovalley, so side in more m/t remova. Toolbox is one of the hardest decks to beat but their main weakness comes with their very deck theme. Toolbox uses searchers to get what it needs and likes to run removal. D.D. Assailant will destroy the d.d. assailants toolbox loves to use. Darkworld is destroyed by royal oppression and soul control is easily stopped by mask of restrict or skill drain.

One thing to keep in mind is that the meta is constantly changing since as you know people like to be creative and use new tactics. Every new tournament tends to bring out new cards that have not been used before.
---
#4ZeidrichPosted 1/11/2006 12:54:52 PMmessage detail
Tech-Using a card that does not necessarily go with the general theme of your deck in order to counter your metagame.

Simple. Adding a d.d. survivor to stop the d.d. assailant using people in your tourney is tech. Remember that like metagames your tech always changes.

Card advantage- Using cards that have multiple uses, have a relatively low cost, are efficient and are effective.

This is the other big one. One simple example with card advantage is Mobius the Frost Monarch. When summoned this card destroys two m/t cards on the field. This essentially makes mobius two for 1. No matter what you get the two for 1 unless they were to negate mobius effect. Delinquent Duo and pot of greed are also examples of 2 for 1. They were much more powerful than mobius though, hence their bannation. The essence of card advantage is that you always want to have more of it than your opponent. If your opponent sets a monster and 5 m/t opening hand. Then you set a monster and two m/t and end your turn. He flips morphing jar and now has a 3 card advantage on you.

6 cards on the field+ 5 card in hand vs 3 cards on the field+5 in hand.

This of course is completely situational because those 5 cards your opponent drew could be utter situational and not helpful at all. But card advantage wins games. Nothing more to say.

Bad/Good topdeck-How good or bad a card is when you are topdecking a.k.a. relying on your next draw.

This is a simple one. We all remember how sometimes we would depend on our next card sometimes in a game and if we were to draw pot of greed we would say just what I need. This is because pot of greed is one of the best topdeck cards ever giving you 2 cards from your deck. Of course pot is gone and now we wonder what is a good topdeck. Well for one tributes are always considered bad topdecks. Why? They cost one card on the field to summon. And if you draw them in topdeck mode you basically end your turn. This is why cyber dragon is so overused. The SS requirement is a great topdeck card. Basically you want to keep bad topdecks to a minimum with less draw engines. Unless you are like me and run dekoichis. <_<;;

Netdecking-purposely looking online at decklists from people who did well in regionals, sjcs or other main tournaments and then duplicating that deck card by card with minimal or no changes.

This is controversial. While netdecking helps give you a base for a deck it is mostly looked down upon by other players. Me? I look at the deck lists to see what the current meta is and counter it. Why else would I make a NOE build deck. Because EVERYONE is using 3x of the same unchainable trap. Thatís like asking for it right there.

---
#5ZeidrichPosted 1/11/2006 12:56:02 PMmessage detail
FTK/OTK- A deck whoís purpose is to win on any given turn. First turn kills can win even on the first turn.

Everyone always asks what is the difference between the two. The key difference is that most one turn kills win by attacking. And if you were to go first you cannot win that turn. Whereas a first turn kill deck like magical scientist could care less what turn you go at in order and it can be done at anytime. For the most part FTKS are almost all gone in the current format. Thank you UDE. Here are some of the otks and ftks that were used a lot.

FTK Scientist- Scientist+catapult turtle+fusions with>2100 attack= game
FTK Exchange of spirit- Makyura to grave or shrine+lots of draw engines= game
FTK DMOC-Dmoc+mass driver+dimension fusion+spell economics=game
OTK-cyberstein-Cyberstein+Clearfield+limiter or megamorph=game
OTK Ben kei- Trunade+Ben Kei+mage power+ceal/big bang shot+axe=game
OTK Yata lock- Sangan or witch in play+CED+search for yata=game
OTK Last turn-Wall of revealing light+jowgen+last turn=game
OTK Reversal quiz-Lava golem+wall of revealing light+reverersal quiz+big eye or Pigeonholing Books of Spell= game

That is quite a list huh?

V. Metagame and how to Combat it.

While I did define what the metagame was you have to understand that the metagame is the BIGGEST part of this game. What the meta is influences what decks you will most likely be facing, what tech to use, what your sidedeck should look like and so much more. I even say that the meta even ENFORCES what decktypes do not stand a chance at in major tournaments. Unless your burn deck has a special surprise do not expect to get far since mobius packing and des wombat siding players will destroy you utterly.

One thing to keep in mind about the meta is that it always changes and this can happen for many reasons. Of the better reasons comes with a new innovative deck idea that appears in a SJC or regionals and surprises the competition. This happened with Ben kei and Vargas Soul control deck. The decks had a surprise factor and basically helped them top 8. Likewise using a surprise deck NOONE has even seen before can have the same results. The problem with this is the surprise wonít work twice because chances are expect people to copy the same deck aka netdecking and use them in future tournaments. This is just something you have to deal with.

So how do you combat the metagame? You basically have three choices.
1. Use a deck similar to what is being used with your own modifications.
2. Pack a sidedeck or tech in cards that help destroy the main decks in your area.
3. Make a new original deck you know stands a chance at winning not just because of surprise factor but has the power to take on the big meta decks with itís theme.

Nothing else can be said except always be on the lookout on how the meta changes
#6ZeidrichPosted 1/11/2006 12:57:18 PMmessage detail
VI. Sidedeck and how to use it.

Many people underestimate the power a sidedeck gives. 15 cards may not SEEM like a lot but in reality it is. A good sidedeck can to one of three things.
1. It can be used to keep your tech and cards used specifically to take down the main meta decks.
2. You can use it to transform your deck into a COMPLETELY new deck and make your opponent get blown away as they face a new deck type on round 2.
3. Both of the above.

Sidedecks are really another tool for duelists. Think of them as the extension of your main deck. In them goes in everything you wish your deck had before but could not find room for in. That way in the later rounds you can take out stuff that did not work and side in things that will work. I.E. Seeing your drilloid keeps hitting flip effects. Drop him for your MS 2 you have in your sidedeck.

VII. Acknowledgements

I would like to thank Iron chef who gave me permission to modify his original deck guide into what it is now. I also like to thank everyone who has helped me on my way to where I am now. I started playing this game a few years ago and was introduced in playing the OCG and the information given to me by people like pharaoh atem, nightvoomer, metalhyper, super gumbo and others was simply amazing. Mind you, you can ask anyone from the WCT 05 Board for help when it comes to deck making. People like wumboy, knux, cdpso mataza, magoichi and atem know quite a lot about metagames since they actually go to higher level tournaments. Thatís not to say guys like seto, omega, hyper, and others wonít help either since they know about the meta too and will use that knowledge when it comes to deck building. Remember guys that this is a game and have fun.
---
#7ZeidrichPosted 1/11/2006 12:57:52 PMmessage detail
Ok feel free to post and stuff.
---
#8soccaprodiPosted 1/11/2006 1:46:46 PMmessage detail
Cool.
---
War isn't a game. Sure, one side wins, the other side loses, and it's a lot of fun, but...well...hey, maybe it is a game. -Baraga, Blade of Gloom
#9Falco_FighterPosted 1/11/2006 1:48:55 PMmessage detail
Lemme read it ^^
#10soccaprodiPosted 1/11/2006 1:49:15 PMmessage detail
I added this to my favorites.
Is that fine?
---
War isn't a game. Sure, one side wins, the other side loses, and it's a lot of fun, but...well...hey, maybe it is a game. -Baraga, Blade of Gloom