Anyone got fun ways to replay this game?

#1Binba442Posted 6/28/2013 11:23:50 AM
I 100%'d this a few years back, I want to play it again, but does anyone have any ideas to make it more fun? Speedrun? Special rules?
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#2BerlingerTPosted 7/3/2013 2:23:59 PM
I go through and see how many stars I can get with only certain characters. I made an FAQ at one point that detailed all of the stars you could get if you used only Yoshi. If I remember correctly, it was almost all of the stars for most worlds, except Big Boo's Haunt since Yoshi cannot enter that world.
---
Playing: Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (DS), Tales of the Abyss (3DS)
#3SirBlueberryPosted 7/4/2013 11:31:38 AM(edited)
At one point I was playing through collecting as many stars as possible without using the jump button at all. I had collected 50 stars on it so far, and I know at least a few more are possible.

At the moment I'm not sure if it's possible to complete a file this way, but I would assume so if I could squeeze in a few more stars. It is possible to reach final Bowser if you can enter his level (I tried on another file that has access) Even if such a file can't collect enough stars to be completed though, it was certainly fun.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention how this is done. It's been quite a while since I've played SM64DS so I may be remembering the wrong buttons, but you'll need a running start, then hold the crouch button and press attack while sliding. That should make you do a sliding hop kick thing. If you press attack again at that point while still sliding, you should flip back up with another small hop. This is absolutely necessary to collect most stars, which float above the ground. It also allows you to grab onto edges and climb up, which you can't do by simply walking around.

Edit2: Here's a list of some stars I know for a fact are possible as they don't require any jumping at all:
Bob-bomb Battle Field: All Stars, 100 Coin Star
Whomp's Fortress: Star 3, 6, 7, 100 Coin Star
Jolly Roger Bay: Star 1, 2, 3, 100 Coin Star
Cool Cool Mountain: Star 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 100 Coin Star
Hazy Maze Cave: Star 1, 6
Lethal Lava Land: Star 1, 2, 3, 4, 100 Coin Star
Shifting Sand Land: Star 1, 2, 4
Dire Dire Docks: Star 1, 2, 7
Snowman's Land: Star 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Wet Dry World: Star 2
Tall Tall Mountain: Star 5
Aditionally there are 8 Castle Secret Stars collected but I cannot confirm which 8 they are.

Note, you cannot normally enter Tick-tock Clock or Rainbow Ride on a no jump button file. You can only enter after a pretty difficult glitch, one that I myself cannot pull off and actually land in the level. Additionally, while you CAN enter Big Boo's Haunt, you can not collect even one star in there. The steps to the 2nd floor (where the first star is located) are impossible to climb, they aren't wide enough. There also doesn't seem to be a whole 100 coins without going to that 2nd floor, I've tried many times.
---
PSN: SirBlueberry96
My mostly empty youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/SirBlueberry96
#4Binba442(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2013 12:31:32 PM
SirBlueberry posted...
At one point I was playing through collecting as many stars as possible without using the jump button at all. I had collected 50 stars on it so far, and I know at least a few more are possible.

At the moment I'm not sure if it's possible to complete a file this way, but I would assume so if I could squeeze in a few more stars. It is possible to reach final Bowser if you can enter his level (I tried on another file that has access) Even if such a file can't collect enough stars to be completed though, it was certainly fun.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention how this is done. It's been quite a while since I've played SM64DS so I may be remembering the wrong buttons, but you'll need a running start, then hold the crouch button and press attack while sliding. That should make you do a sliding hop kick thing. If you press attack again at that point while still sliding, you should flip back up with another small hop. This is absolutely necessary to collect most stars, which float above the ground. It also allows you to grab onto edges and climb up, which you can't do by simply walking around.

Edit2: Here's a list of some stars I know for a fact are possible as they don't require any jumping at all:
Bob-bomb Battle Field: All Stars, 100 Coin Star
Whomp's Fortress: Star 3, 6, 7, 100 Coin Star
Jolly Roger Bay: Star 1, 2, 3, 100 Coin Star
Cool Cool Mountain: Star 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 100 Coin Star
Hazy Maze Cave: Star 1, 6
Lethal Lava Land: Star 1, 2, 3, 4, 100 Coin Star
Shifting Sand Land: Star 1, 2, 4
Dire Dire Docks: Star 1, 2, 7
Snowman's Land: Star 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Wet Dry World: Star 2
Tall Tall Mountain: Star 5
Aditionally there are 8 Castle Secret Stars collected but I cannot confirm which 8 they are.

Note, you cannot normally enter Tick-tock Clock or Rainbow Ride on a no jump button file. You can only enter after a pretty difficult glitch, one that I myself cannot pull off and actually land in the level. Additionally, while you CAN enter Big Boo's Haunt, you can not collect even one star in there. The steps to the 2nd floor (where the first star is located) are impossible to climb, they aren't wide enough. There also doesn't seem to be a whole 100 coins without going to that 2nd floor, I've tried many times.

That is awesome. Thanks.
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#5Yoshifan11Posted 7/8/2013 1:06:40 PM
You can also try to get all 150 stars without hitting the red ? Block more than 10 times