Trying to like this game.

#1JoveHackPosted 9/19/2012 6:07:10 PM(edited)
Got the game a while back. Played it a little and got frustrated with the inability to save.

Tried it again recently and did a lot better. Actually liked the forest and town areas, particularly the sniping. Really hate the "boss" battles. The heavily armored guy who runs up and blasts away with the monster shotgun. Gets pretty silly.

Yesterday was playing through the factory. Started feeling bad and desperately needed a save. Nothing to do but keep going on. Kept dying, too, and the savepoints are way too far apart. Started hitting walkthroughs to figure out what to do, which is no way to play a game either. (Really, how to tell what to shoot on the machinery. There wasn't even a black dot, was there?)

That's not a way to make me feel good about a game.

Still, awesome graphics engine, using 480p and widescreen on an HDTV. A bit more color would have been nice.

Been playing God of War 2. Wouldn't mind unwinding with a little gunfire, but Black just doesn't lend itself to that. I definitely don't want another multi-hour marathon just to get to a save point.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
http://primal.wikia.com
#2raymanfan1Posted 9/30/2012 5:05:28 PM
Play it on easy. The side-missions required on Normal, hard, and black ops modes just riun the experience because they aren't linear or obvious.
---
Do others before they do you.
#3ListerineStripsPosted 10/7/2012 9:25:30 AM
The best way to take down "crazy shotgun guys" (as my friends and I used to call them) is to lob a grenade near them and shoot the grenade. It's basically the poor man's grenade launcher. Shooting grenades out of the air is a skill you should practice because it'll make the game infinitely easier and more enjoyable.
#4JoveHack(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2012 10:19:21 AM
raymanfan1 posted...
Play it on easy. The side-missions required on Normal, hard, and black ops modes just riun the experience because they aren't linear or obvious.

Probably good advice, but by pressing on in Normal I've managed to get to the last mission. The required side-missions just seem to be happening, because I don't think I'm doing much out of the ordinary (besides shooting the machines in the factory).

There seems to have been a bit of a breakthrough, as areas are starting to make more sense to me even the first time I see them. Guess the game's getting familiar.

ListerineStrips posted...
The best way to take down "crazy shotgun guys" (as my friends and I used to call them) is to lob a grenade near them and shoot the grenade. It's basically the poor man's grenade launcher. Shooting grenades out of the air is a skill you should practice because it'll make the game infinitely easier and more enjoyable.

I'm learning to use grenades at the first bit of trouble, then go full auto with whatever SMG's in use. Shooting the grenade's something I'll try.

Black's definitely given me the FPS bug. Picked up Cold Winter, which is a little better in terms of stuff to find. Started it on Easy, which feels like a walk in the park even for me. Actually looking forward to Killzone after playing a demo.

Meanwhile I got to the first checkpoint in the prison, then left the system on with the game on pause for a few hours while busy elsewhere.

Not sure how much replayability the game has, but will give Hard mode a chance.

Thanks for the replies and advice. The game's great in a number of ways.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
#5JoveHack(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2012 6:30:49 PM(edited)
Managed to beat the game on Normal.

The final area was bad to the point of tedium. Total of 4 hours for that and the previous area. Got around that by watching football when going through the early part for the nth time.

It got pretty silly towards the end. Even the three RPG shots I'd carefully brought with me didn't help that much. Then found the trick. Clear the room as much as possible. Snipe the bunkers from above, then run up next to them. Shoot/grenade into the bunkers until all their occupants are dead.

I was actually surprised the level ended then.

Started up again on Hard. Beat the first level no problem, with almost 100%. Got careless in the forest and knocked down to almost no health. Built back up with patience and care. Then got careless again before the first checkpoint.

It's a different game on replay, knowing the level and enemy layouts in advance. It also helps that I've developed some basic tricks and have an idea on which weapon to use and when. It's also good to have specific notions of what each weapon can do. Knowing the levels in advance is a

Aiming also gotten a lot easier. About half the time I line up a good headshot I'm still too far away for the hit to register if not using a sniper rifle.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
#6ListerineStripsPosted 10/7/2012 6:38:42 PM
Cold Winter is another phenomenal game. Possibly my favorite FPS of all time. I even fell in love with the story.

Anyway, shooting grenades midair was one of my favorite things about Black. You feel like an absolute boss when you get it down pat and you can angle and time the throw perfectly to hit groups of moving targets. Was very rewarding. As for the last area, I remember it took me about 5-10 times on the hardest difficulties to clear. Sure was a pain. I remember the key was saving the RPG and explosives barrels for the biggest groups then clearing the rest with the Spas. It's been years since I've played so I don't 100% remember.
#7JoveHack(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 8:55:16 PM
ListerineStrips posted...
Cold Winter is another phenomenal game. Possibly my favorite FPS of all time. I even fell in love with the story.

In that case I'll pay closer attention to it.

It didn't impress me greatly. I took a bathroom break after finishing the first level. Was surprised when it didn't finish by the time I did.

Anyway, shooting grenades midair was one of my favorite things about Black. You feel like an absolute boss when you get it down pat and you can angle and time the throw perfectly to hit groups of moving targets. Was very rewarding. As for the last area, I remember it took me about 5-10 times on the hardest difficulties to clear. Sure was a pain. I remember the key was saving the RPG and explosives barrels for the biggest groups then clearing the rest with the Spas. It's been years since I've played so I don't 100% remember.

Since the posts mentioning it, I've managed to shoot a couple of my grenades. It does have a nice effect.

Usually it happens when trying to shoot the enemy the grenade was intended for, in order to make him flinch enough to still be there when the grenade goes off.

Meanwhile, I'm still working through on hard. Not that much tougher. Lack of First Aid Packs isn't as big of a deal as I'd have thought. I'm also realizing that there's incredible amounts of ammunition being dropped. So just keep firing works pretty well.

So I've made through these scenarios on Hard.

Mission 2: Treneska Border Crossing
Mission 3: Naszran Town
Mission 4: Naszran Foundry
Mission 5: Tivliz Asylum

As posted before, knowing the layout and what to expect makes a huge difference, almost a different game. Sections that I remember as endless nightmares are quick and straightforward, if not necessarily easy.

The final room of the Tivliz Asylum nearly beat me. Got stuck there, and tried to get through by endlessly dying/restarting, running for the upstairs rooms. Was getting numbed and nauseous. Took a long break with the TV off but the game paused.

Finally tried an approach either a FAQ or a youtube walkthrough. Go upstairs, and wait at the opposite end from the rooms. Almost no one approaches, and they could generally be gunned down from a safe distance.

In a room it's easier for enemies to charge in, and get close where the Uzis and shotguns are devastatingly effective. Instead, the SMG took care of them from a distance down the hallways of the long side.

Such a relief to not have enemies mobbing me too fast for reloading. Nor the endless rumbling of the controller, letting me feel my character get shot to death. The multiple red half-circles, letting me know I was getting murdered from multple directions were also blessed absent.

Got the final objective, destroy the machine gun nest, much more quickly than I expected. Again, used a suggestion from a walkthrough and threw the grenades from the upper floor at the machine gun. Before I knew it, the objective changed again. Everyone was gone, and I waltzed out.

Such a relief. Even more so for not wasting the effort to get that far.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved