played the first major party battle, then I quit.....

#1ArTHSPosted 4/26/2008 5:21:19 PM
who here got dissapointed by the battle system?

I still get the battle when I was alone, but when these 2 dudes shows up I have to control all of them? I believe what Im about to say is wrong (I hope) but is there no AI whatsoever in your party members? You have to control them all manually?

starting to regret buying this game.....

---
Radiata knight, God General, Savior of multiple worlds, Replica Model, Gundam Pilot, STALKER, Commander of Nod and many more i dont know I was
#2vierna_foxglovePosted 4/27/2008 3:00:51 AM
The battle system can use a LOT of improvement. Though I can still play it till the end.

Yes. You have to control them manually. Only one at a time. No AI. Basically, for every battle, it's like using only one character. The other two are actually reserves that you can switch to. The other in the reserve are characters that you can't switch to.

So tanking in this game is a bit different. You use your sword user, move him up front (the enemies always try to attack the frontmost character.) Then you decide from there. Options:

-- Keep using the sword user to tank and deals damage (sword user have the best shield)
-- Switch to counter user once you learn their chi. (counter ignores shield)
-- Switch to Eonis and deals AoE safely from the back (magic is not affected by shield. Though magic resistant does affect it)
-- Switch to that crossbow guy and deals AoE safely from the rear with a possibility to paralyze (paralyzation voids shield, making the battle shorter)
-- Switch to Blue Mage to heal

---
"if a dog all barks and doesn't bite, just ignore it." -- manonthestreet
#3ArTHS(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2008 5:10:55 AM
so there is no AI even if enemies attack your other characters, this is the first time I ever see this kind of system. It took me like 3 minutes to finish 1 battle.....what happened to good ol fashioned turn-based battles or real time?
---
Radiata knight, God General, Savior of multiple worlds, Replica Model, Gundam Pilot, STALKER, Commander of Nod and many more i dont know I was
#4fdffirePosted 5/3/2008 9:00:57 AM
yea the batle system kinda dissapointed me but its still an awesome game. it (if i remember right) is somewhat like the ff10-2 battle system
---
im not responsible for my actions
#5TheTenth10Posted 5/6/2008 2:13:23 AM
does counter count as your normal attack? (= put your leadership to zero) or can you counter 2 enemies and still get your action when leadership bar gets to the arrow? (I'm only 5 hours into the game and counter seems useless to me at the time). How do you know how to counter? is it always the same with the same enmy and what's the impotance of element?
#6vierna_foxglovePosted 5/6/2008 4:57:35 AM
How do you know how to counter? is it always the same with the same enmy and what's the impotance of element?

You have to know what chi the enemy will be using. The easiest way is to look at FAQ to see what set of chi an enemy use (I'll only mention the hard way without using a guide a.k.a "tanking" on request). For example,

an enemy will only use either Water or Ice chi.

Tank the enemy (use your sword user) and see what it's first chi. Let's say it's water.

When the enemy want to attack the 2nd time, get ready to counter and look at his bar.

If the counter ring comes out just when the enemy's bar reach it's marker, it will be the same chi as previously used. In this example, it will be Water. We know Water will be XOX. So use XOX.

If the counter ring comes out only after the bar get past the marker (delayed counter ring), it will be a different chi. SInce the enemy only use Water and Ice and previously it used Water, the chi he will be using this time will be Ice i.e. OOX

---
#7vierna_foxglovePosted 5/6/2008 4:59:36 AM
Now the timing. This is what gives players trouble at first. You have to wait until the first ? makes one full round before inputting the button. Take water (XOX) for example:

---?---- ? at 12 o'clock. Do NOT touch that button!
---------
---------

--------- ? at 9 o'clock. Let it be.
--?-----
---------

--------- ? at 6 o'clock. Not yet.
---------
----?---

--------- ? at 3 o'clock. Patience... patience...
-------?-
---------

---?---- ? back at 12 o'clock. Press the first button (in Wate case, press X)
---------
---------

--------- ? at 9 o'clock.
--?-----
---------

--------- ? at 6 o'clock.
---------
----?----

---------- ? at 3 o'clock.
-------?--
---------

---?---- ? back at 12 o'clock for the 2nd time. Press the 2nd button (in Water case, press O)
---------
---------

--------- ? at 9 o'clock.
--?-----
---------

--------- ? at 6 o'clock.
---------
----?----

---------- ? at 3 o'clock.
-------?--
---------

---?---- ? back at 12 o'clock for the 3rd time. Press the3rd button (in Water case, press X)
---------
---------

You will counter.

---
#8vierna_foxglovePosted 5/6/2008 8:25:08 AM
does counter count as your normal attack? (= put your leadership to zero) or can you counter 2 enemies and still get your action when leadership bar gets to the arrow? (I'm only 5 hours into the game and counter seems useless to me at the time).

Counter doesn't count as your normal attack. You steal the enemy's attack. So your bar does not get reset. Your enemy's bar does. When the enemy's bar get to it's marker, you counter. When your bar gets to your marker, you do your normal attack.

One more thing, you can still counter even though the corresponding chi is depleted!

Counter is very useful in these ways:

1. You bypass shield. Later on, you will encounter enemies with, like, 4 shields. It will take forever to whittle it's health if you do not bypass it's shield (via counter, magic or paralyzation)

2. Since you steal the enemies turn and still attack on your turn, you dish damage more per time. Thus ending the battle quicker.

3. You won't get damaged.

4. Depleted chi won't stop you form countering.

Sounds easy? Yes but first, you need to master it.

---