Now, I know quite a few of us have had this problem. We get a brand-spanking-new computer, with the Vista operating system, and then we try to install a program to use called RPG Maker XP. Well, it installs just fine, and we think everything is fine. Then, when you boot up the program, you get a stupid little error that says something to the effect of "Failed to obtain a trial serial number from the nTitles server." or some such thing, and then the program shuts down. No matter what you try, from allowing the program through your firewall to shutting off every last vestige of your internet security, it just keeps giving you that error. Well, thanks to another community member here, we have a solution! Before I give the solution, I want to thank blahblah953 for solving the problem for us. Anyway, on to the tutorial!
1. Go to your root RMXP directory. (Usually CProgram Files\Enterbrain\RPGXP)
2. Right click RPGXP.exe and choose "Properties".
3. In the "Properties" popup, go to the "Compatibility" tab.
4. Check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)"
5. Check the box that says "Run this program as an administrator".
6. If you cannoth check the box mentioned in step 5, follow steps 7 through 11.
7. Click on the button that says "Show settings for all users".
8. Click the "OK" button on the "Windows needs your permission to continue" button, after inputting the password of the specified administrator if necessary.
9. Check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)"
10. Check the box that says "Run this program as an administrator".
11. Click the "OK" button.
12. Click the "OK" button.
13. Right click PSIKey.dll and choose "Properties".
14. In the "Properties" popup, go to the "Security" tab.
15. Click on the "Advanced" button.
16. Highlight the permission entry that says "Users ([your computer's name]\Users)" where [your computer's name] is whatever you named your computer. (Mine is Media-PC)
17. Click the "Edit..." button.
18. Highlight the group "Users ([your computer's name]\Users)".
19. In the popup that appears (It should be named "Permission Entry for PSIKey.dll"), check the "Allow" box for the option "Full Control".
20. All of the "Allow" boxes below the box you just checked should now be checked as well.
21. Click the "OK" Button.
22. Check the box that says "Include inheritable permissios from this object's parents".
23. Click the "OK" button.
24. Click the "OK" Button.
25. Click the "OK" Button.
26. Run RPG Maker Xp, and you should no longer get the error message!
27. If you still get the error message, log into the administrative account on the computer (With the owner's permission) and then run RPG Maker XP. It should work no matter what on that account, after you have successfully completed the above stps.
28. Have fun building games with the legal version of RPG Maker XP!
Found it on a site. Allowed me to RPG Maker XP on my Vista PC.