This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bobhead's Guide to EVs and IVs

#221PiperStarfireGilmorePosted 12/5/2008 11:25:29 PMmessage detail
...you didn't read the places to train section, did you?

The missing ones are 'cause AFAIK there aren't any for those.
#222exclamPosted 12/20/2008 11:57:00 AMmessage detail

OK, I know I'm a n00b but I have read this excellent guide and am still wondering: is there no faster or more efficient way to find out if the pokemon with the desired nature (which took maybe 25 eggs to get) has anywhere near the desired IV stats (within reason, not looking for anything uber) than to fly back and forth to the guy at battle frontier to get an estimate? This would/could take way too much time...not to mention the time it took to pass on improved stats from generation to generation...what am I missing? Thanks!

#223PiperStarfireGilmorePosted 12/20/2008 11:26:12 PMmessage detail
First, odds are, it shouldn't take ~25 Eggs to get the desired Nature since Ditto can get involved. Wyrlwynd's Breeding FAQ should help you out there, including generational breeding.

So with that down to a 50% chance, you can get pretty good guesstimates on your IVs using Rain_Dance's method in section 5 of their FAQ. You can even kinda skip the vitamin part and know that a +1 difference for a hatchling could mean a minimum IV of 10, 20 or 30, depending on the base stat/Nature in question; the vitamin part can help determine if it's an additional +19 IV to that minimum. It's all outlined there, and that's what I've been using (through a TI program I scripted for ease) since it was discussed on the boards here years back ;>_>
#224Mortimer11Posted 1/9/2009 6:09:19 PMmessage detail
Bump I guess? I'm sorry if this was already answered in this forum, and especially so if it was already answered in this thread, but I'm too impatient to look through every single page. So, a couple EV questions:

If I have a pokemon that's been trained by my dog, is there any way for me to know if it already has all 510 EV points? Also, can I tell if it already has 255 points into any specific stat, so I don't waste my time? And just to confirm, if I use one happybadstat berry, it takes the stat down to 100 if it was above 100. So I only need to use 11 berries per stat to get that stat's EVs to absolute 0, right?

Thanks. Also, if you can link me to a page that has all the information I'm looking for, I'm happy to read it there, so long as I don't have to find it.
---
I love a girl named Rose. MGO: Empty Red PSN: Periniquus
Diamond FC: 0731 9305 4016
#225PiperStarfireGilmorePosted 1/9/2009 11:37:37 PMmessage detail
is there any way for me to know if it already has all 510 EV points?
Go to Slateport and see if it's eligible to receive the Effort Ribbon. If the Pokemon in question already has it due to previous (re)training, then no, not anymore.

can I tell if it already has 255 points into any specific stat
Nope, not really. If you know its IVs beforehand, you can see you an external stat calc to see if it matches the stat that it "should" have based on the EVs you're planning.

it takes the stat down to 100 if it was above 100. So I only need to use 11 berries per stat to get that stat's EVs to absolute 0, right?
No, that drop straight down to 100 is a D/P mechanic. In Em, those berries drop EVs by a flat 10 (down to 0), always. So the max you'd need per stat would be 26 berries to drop down to 0.

if you can link me to a page that has all the information I'm looking for
egervari's Advanced Trainer Guide in the Ru/Sa section for details other than the EV reducing berries, which is above anyway.
#226Mortimer11Posted 1/13/2009 4:41:43 PMmessage detail
I figured that if I used a bunch of EV berries, it'd say "It won't have any effect" when my EVs in that stat got to 0, so I used a bunch of Defense and Sp. Defense killers on my Kadabra, then started EV training it for Sp. Atk, since I didn't mind so much about EVs being in HP, and I want the rest to go into Speed. So I did that, and just to check I used another Defense berry. It had an effect. I was only killing Spinda, Slugma, and Skarmories in the ashy grass of Route 113. I noticed that Bobhead's guide said "Kill Spinda in Route 113", but I checked the EVs on both Bulbapedia and multiple FAQs and they all said Slugmas gave Sp. Atk too, so I didn't worry. How did I get defense EVs? I didn't get any Sp. Defense EVs, btw.
---
#227PiperStarfireGilmorePosted 1/13/2009 11:12:59 PMmessage detail
How did I get defense EVs?
I was only killing Spinda, Slugma, and Skarmories in the ashy grass of Route 113.

There's your answer.
#228Mortimer11Posted 1/13/2009 11:26:00 PMmessage detail
Thanks. Could have sworn it said it was Speed. All fixed.
---
#229Mortimer11Posted 1/13/2009 11:34:43 PMmessage detail
Just curious. Jack_Is_Bk or something said this:
Wow, sounds a lot like Jack's Guide to EVs and IVs.

Is there another guild to EVs and IVs? I can't find anything like that anywhere.
---
#230exclamPosted 1/14/2009 6:12:31 AMmessage detail

PSG, thanks very much for your reply, it was very helpful. Now I need clarification on stat increases being passed on to babies. Scenario: I have four Lvl 5 pokemon in my party with pokerus, all holding Exp. shares, two are Bold and two are Calm, two are male, two are female. I EV train them exclusively against Geodudes and Tentacools and then give them Zincs and Irons until they no longer have any effect. They all get effort ribbons from the Slateport lady. If I mate these four at this point will their offspring inherit the D and Sp.D increases [and the lowered AT] OR do I have to level them up more? How many times can that process (or the correct process, if my process is wrong) be repeated before no further D and Sp.D increases are possible? --- Math-wise, if Pokemon A's highest evolution has a base defense stat of Y, does EV training for defense yield a defense stat of Y x 1.1 at Lvl 100? And if Pokemon A's Def IV is Z will the Lvl 100 Def stat be (Y x 1.1) + Z? I'm so mixed up!