Inside jokes in the piano room?

#1Tarson_CawnPosted 10/7/2008 8:42:50 PM
Before people start flaming me or telling me to read the sticky, let me make it clear that I'm not asking "What's the piano room for?" - I know that everyone so far agrees it's just a toy, although I'm tempted to believe otherwise, partially because of the two details I'm about to ask about.

But I'm wondering whether there's an inside joke or something that I'm missing in the piano room (and if so, could that not be its sole purpose?). First of all, what's up with the H on the piano instead of a B? It's not even where an H would theoretically be - there should be an I there, if anything.

Second thing - in both of the octaves that aren't available to play, it's the same two keys that are fully depressed and the same key missing - E&B, and G#. Inside joke, related to Castlevania or to anything else?

Anybody have any thoughts? As I said, I know the consensus is that the piano room is a red herring, but I've never seen any discussion about these particular aspects of it.
#2neon screenPosted 10/7/2008 9:52:22 PM
Some ancient pianos label the key H instead of B.

As for the depressed/missing keys, I'm guessing it's just background variety.
---
a?
#3semianonymousPosted 10/7/2008 10:22:19 PM
y'know, once upon a time you most likely had to play it in order to lower walls to create stairways. But that didn't happen, it was scrapped, the piano stayed, and the walls became Bone Pillars.
#4Tarson_Cawn(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2008 10:42:38 PM
Interesting fact, neon! Happen to know the reason for that, by any chance?

And it's entirely possible that the depressed keys are simply for flavour. They just caught my eye because they were the same notes, on either side of the playable keys.
#5fathedredPosted 10/8/2008 2:44:28 PM
I heard that playing certain notes were supposed to make a high potion or super potion drop, but at the last minute the developers decided to leave it out.
---
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures that Chuck Norris allows to live.
#6commodore_zekePosted 10/10/2008 10:32:02 PM
This is one that classical music buffs caught right away. The names of notes vary from language to language; for instance, French just uses "do", "re", and so on instead of letters. In particular, a lot of the classical composers were German, and in that language they use "B" for what we call B flat and "H" for what we call B. This is how Bach was able to spell his own name in his final composition, which he was still working on when he died. (Look up "BACH motif" on Wikipedia for the details.)

Short version: apparently it's a German keyboard. Probably Celia's doing. She conjured up the castle, and "Fortner" is a German name.

---
FiveMinute.net: because stuff is long and life is short
#7Tarson_Cawn(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2008 7:54:54 PM
Very informative! Now I have to dig out the CDs from my music courses a few years back... I know there are a couple of pieces on them by Bach!

And I guess that changes our second missing key to H, beyond a doubt. I'm still curious about the fact that it's the same three keys on either side, but having been given a solution to one mystery, I think I'm willing to accept that the arrangement of the missing keys is coincidental.
#8neon screenPosted 10/13/2008 8:13:48 PM
As for that, they were probably too lazy to draw out the entire keyboard so they just copypasta'd one octave several times.
---
a?