I want to love this game so much more than I do

#1GiygasminionPosted 10/19/2012 11:15:42 PM
I'm a HUGE fan of the concept of this game. Like, as I play through this game, I'm constantly impressed by the sheer creativity of the environments, the puzzles, and each dream's story.

And yet...

Two things really bug me. For one, I absolutely hate the physics of this game. I've not been able to really enjoy Epic Mickey, so maybe I've just become a snob to all non-Mario 3d platformers. But the platforming is truly painful at times, IMO.

The other part is the sheer amount of cutscenes. I love the dialogue, but the fact that they're constantly breaking action to give some witty statement bugs me.

Anyway, just had to share. I'm at Waterloo, so I think I'm probably getting close to the end of the game. It has been enjoyable...but a tad disappointing.
---
http://backloggery.com/schamman89
#2JoveHackPosted 10/20/2012 1:25:39 PM
Giygasminion posted...
I'm a HUGE fan of the concept of this game. Like, as I play through this game, I'm constantly impressed by the sheer creativity of the environments, the puzzles, and each dream's story.

And yet...

Two things really bug me. For one, I absolutely hate the physics of this game. I've not been able to really enjoy Epic Mickey, so maybe I've just become a snob to all non-Mario 3d platformers. But the platforming is truly painful at times, IMO.

The other part is the sheer amount of cutscenes. I love the dialogue, but the fact that they're constantly breaking action to give some witty statement bugs me.

Anyway, just had to share. I'm at Waterloo, so I think I'm probably getting close to the end of the game. It has been enjoyable...but a tad disappointing.

I understand where you're coming from. The platforming was frustrating for me, as I pretty much hadn't done any platforming before playing Psychonauts.

But...the rest of the game kept me fascinated. Listening to everything the campers had to say. Showing the button to everyone, several times to get all the dialog.

Use Clairvoyance on anyone and everyone, just to see the results. Use cheats to get confusion grenades in the Milkman Conspiracy for some of the funniest lines in the game.

I loved realizing that the Brain Tumbler Experiment foreshadowed a lot of what happened later in the game.

If you don't like the platforming, then climbing the Asylum tower later will be doubly frustrating for you. Be sure to ask Agent Cruller for help vs the enemies there.

The game can really reward replays, as you can spend more time trying different things to get more dialog. Sneak around more to overhear conversations, too.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
http://primal.wikia.com
#3Giygasminion(Topic Creator)Posted 10/25/2012 8:44:59 PM
So, just finished the game. *Spoilers, I guess*

I love how everything escalated through the ending. The meat circus in particular was rather genius. But again, the platforming just continually frustrated me. Thinking about it, maybe part of it was me using a keyboard and mouse on a genre that relies on 3d movement.

All that said, even though this game ultimately left me slightly disappointed, I would LOVE a sequel that fixed all of the issues and continued where the story left off. The stronger tech would also really give some room to have crazy visual sequences.

Here's to hoping Psychonauts 2 materializes...
---
http://backloggery.com/schamman89
#4JoveHackPosted 10/25/2012 9:40:12 PM(edited)
Giygasminion posted...
So, just finished the game. *Spoilers, I guess*

I love how everything escalated through the ending. The meat circus in particular was rather genius.

So much of the game was genius, with connections, callbacks, and double meanings that don't hit you until the third or fourth playthrough. Then there's the entertainment of Clairvoyance, the Confusion Grenades, etc.

Not to mention the story of how Maloof becomes the Godfather of Whispering Rocks Campground.

But again, the platforming just continually frustrated me. Thinking about it, maybe part of it was me using a keyboard and mouse on a genre that relies on 3d movement.

Uh, yeah, a game controller is pretty much a requirement for playing a 3D platformer, I would think.

There were parts of the Meat Circus that were controller-breakingly frustrating for me, using a Sony Dual Shock 2 on the PS2. I can't imagine what it must have been like for you.

So double congratulations for finishing the game.

Because I was actually pretty impressed with the jumping physics. When making a long float out of smoke plume in Waterloo World, it's best to back up until Raz sinks a little. Then move forward. The upward momentum of Raz rising as he goes through the center of the smoke column will carry him that much farther.

And I've been playing God of War 1 & 2, which have "platforming elements", which are nothing like the incredible free-flowing full-range platforming of Psychonauts. Most of the levels are visual only, and don't exist if you try to grab a ledge or jump on top of them. Invisible walls are everywhere.

Which is good in that it keeps enemies from knocking Kratos off a ledge into a one-hit-kill. It's bad in that Kratos can't do that to enemies.

And I keep trying to treat it like a real platformer, jumping around to help combat tactics, and using that to flee in some case. It took me a while to realize the developers weren't going to allow that.

Case in point, Icarus' Wings in GoW2 don't allow unlimited gliding. After a few seconds they literally fall apart and Kratos drops straight down. (They put in a patch that anything that lifts him up while flying will "heal" the wings some.)

So there's nothing like getting to the highest point in Whispering Rocks campground, double jumping up, and gliding for distance. Which in some ways is a crying shame, the Atlas area has some places I'd love to glide around just too look at.

All that said, even though this game ultimately left me slightly disappointed, I would LOVE a sequel that fixed all of the issues and continued where the story left off. The stronger tech would also really give some room to have crazy visual sequences.

Here's to hoping Psychonauts 2 materializes...

I'll second that.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
http://primal.wikia.com